Nautilus question

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I've been "patiently" waiting for the Nautilus to go on sale at BRU so that I can buy one for dd, but have a question I'm hoping you guys may be able to answer first. :love:

My question is in relation to how differently kids sit in the seat in the vehicle compared to the store. I've been able to try the seat in my truck and know it installs easily, and I've been able to try dd in it in the store, but haven't had a chance to try her in it with it installed in the truck...

In the store, it seems like the headrest pushes her head quite a bit forward. I'm thinking that this isn't going to be as much of a problem once it's actually in the truck because our seats naturally recline quite a bit in the truck and I think the change in angle will change how she sits in the seat. She also had her winter coat over her car coat when I tried her in it and that meant there were 2 hoods behind her hood, which could've also influenced that?

But I'm not totally sure... How have others found their child's head is affected by the headrest in the store/house compared to in the vehicle?

I'm not sure I'll be able to try her in it with it installed in the truck before it goes on sale, which is why I'm asking here. I can always return it if need be, but am trying to get a feel ahead of time. :thumbsup:

eta: I know when it goes on sale which is how I'm figuring I won't have a chance to try her in it in the truck before it goes on sale. It's a perk of working at BRU. ;) (and CDN BRU, so nobody in the US gets their hopes up about the sale.)

ADS

Evolily

Chris and Alex have no problem with their heads in the seat :shrug-shoulders: . Last time I put them in the seats I was looking to see if their heads looked uncomfortably pushed forward because I've heard that complaint. The headrest is raised maybe two inches, and I'm sure if it was straight up and down it could be a problem with head slump. But with how sloped the seats are this isn't a problem in the car the GN's are currently installed in. They have less headslump in the GN than they had in their old Cosco seats, which didn't push their heads forward at all.

Qarin

My DD1 had no problem with the headrest until we recently had to move it up to its top position, so now it sits almost 2" higher than it had been, and well above her shoulders. NOW she says that it pushes her head forward and bothers her neck (but not enough to want to move to one of our Parkway boosters).

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Chris and Alex have no problem with their heads in the seat :shrug-shoulders: . Last time I put them in the seats I was looking to see if their heads looked uncomfortably pushed forward because I've heard that complaint. The headrest is raised maybe two inches, and I'm sure if it was straight up and down it could be a problem with head slump. But with how sloped the seats are this isn't a problem in the car the GN's are currently installed in. They have less headslump in the GN than they had in their old Cosco seats, which didn't push their heads forward at all.

Thanks, that's exactly what I was wondering and what I thought (and hoped,) might be the case.

My DD1 had no problem with the headrest until we recently had to move it up to its top position, so now it sits almost 2" higher than it had been, and well above her shoulders. NOW she says that it pushes her head forward and bothers her neck (but not enough to want to move to one of our Parkway boosters).

Is she still using it harnessed? (I'm guessing based on the your siggy and the amount the headrest was raised, but just wanted to check.)

I know that I'm partly looking at it fitting her differently just because it has a headrest where her current seat doesn't - but dh had asked the same thing when he saw her in it. I'd told him I figured it would change once the seat was in the truck, but thought it was worth double checking. She otherwise has lots of growing room in it and it seems to be a comfortable depth for her legs. And it was so amazingly easy to install with the seatbelt. :)

Qarin

Yeah, she's harnessed, and has nearly 2" of torso growth left in it (she's very little, though her torso is pretty tall). Her head doesn't slump when she sleeps (which is rarer and rarer these days, anyway), and she had no problem when the headrest was closer to her shoulders, but now that it's up she says it's a lot less comfortable. Presumably this is a problem which will go away as her torso grows a little more, but at nearly 7.5 she may decide to move to a booster before that happens (except, she really wants to use the Nautilus as her booster when she's done with the 5pt harness, but it would have the same problem right now. And I really want to pass the Nautilus to DD2...).

monstah

On a few occasions, I have had the Nautilus sitting in our living room and when the kids fight to sit in it to watch TV or whatever, I always think they look SO uncomfortable because of the lack of recline.

But in the car, I think it seems much more comfortable. We never had a problem with the headrest and my DS loves it. He prefers the Radian, but I think that's more about leg support.

BW1426

E has the worst headslump in the Nautilus. It is the worst seat we've owned for headslump. It doesn't seem to bother her, but I hate it. At 5.5 yo her headslump in the Nautilus is worse than it was in the Turbo booster at 3 years old. It's installed in an Explorer in recline mode.

SoccerMom

In the store I did notice that it pushed his head forward, we tried him in it about 5 times before dad convinced him he liked it. After installing in the car it doesn't seem to push his head forward at all. Now he says he likes it, except that because of the large arm rests it's hard for him to climb in by himself.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC