Bad advice from my pedi

lovemyfamily

I am not one to think Pedis are educated in carseat installation, or RF/FF. My DD went in for her 1yo well check, 2 days after she turned 1. She is 31 1/4 inches, and 19.5lbs. My Pedi said to me "she has good enough upper body strength, you can go ahead and turn her forward facing, even though she isn't quite 20 lbs." My response "I thought the AAP was now recommending kids remain RF until they reach the maximum limits of their seat. Hers goes RF to 35lbs." His response "Yeah, but do you want her to have a broken leg in a crash?" My response "As far as I know, there are not any reported incidence of that happening, due to RF in a carseat. AND I would much rather deal with a broken leg than internal decapitation." His response was nothing, he just shook his head. He and I have issues, we don't vax, and I don't believe in flouride drops. He thinks I am nuts anyway. But this was just stupid advice, IMHO!

ADS

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
Hey Lori, who is your pediatrician? We are trying to get materials and information into the peds offices in town and maybe this office should be at the top of the list!

lovemyfamily

Hey Lori, who is your pediatrician? We are trying to get materials and information into the peds offices in town and maybe this office should be at the top of the list!

http://www.kidsclinicspokane.com/
The Kids Clinic, we see Dr. Lee. They are SO incredibly busy, last I heard they were closed to new patients. Which makes me even more upset that they are telling others this same information. ALTHOUGH I did hear from a friend who sees Dr. Thompson there, that he is telling people the longer they stay RF, the better.

I did just find this link on their website.
http://www.aap.org/family/carseatguide.htm So I find it odd that he would tell me what he did.

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
OK, we went there for awhile and changed due to some bad care. So they have room for a few new patients UGH. I will try to get some information to them ASAP.

lovemyfamily

OK, we went there for awhile and changed due to some bad care. So they have room for a few new patients UGH. I will try to get some information to them ASAP.

Who do you see now? We wouldn't mind switching. We don't vax and I hate going in there and having to explain why EVERY single time. I just want someone who will let me decide and not hound me each visit.

Which Dr. did you see that provided bad care? What happened? Feel free to PM me if you want, rather than post here about it.

SillyLily

Wow! Dr. Lee was supposed to be my younger dd's pediatrician, but he left the practice right after she was born (before I even met him). The nurses at the hospital raved about him. Dr. Thompson is actually the dr. that saw her in the hospital, and I really liked him. He was really easy going. Have you seen Dr. Thompson at all? Maybe you would like him better. I disliked the Rockwood clinics and all of their staff (I know, that's very broad and sweeping), but I felt like we were treated like livestock rather than informed patients.

I live in Seattle now, and absolutely love our pediatrician here. It is actually called The Kids' Clinic (ironic :) ) and there are is the doctor and an holistic ARNP that we see. The dr. also always seems to have a student there, which I think is awesome. I feel very fortunate to have found such an awesome place. The issue of car seats hasn't come up, but if it does, I feel comfortable discussing it with them.

I know this won't be much help, but when we were over there, I would actually drive up to Colville to see Dr. April Hume. My younger dd saw her right after she was born (when we were staying with my parents in Colville), and I liked her so much that I would make the 1.5 hour trip there just to see her! Funny, because she is a family practice dr. in a small, rural town, but she was so nice and seemed well-informed. She had a daughter just a few months older than Lily, and she really encouraged me with continuing with breastfeeding (she helped me more than the lactation consultants I had seen!).

lovemyfamily

Thanks for the suggestion about the Dr. in Colville, SillyLily. I will talk to my DH about it. Honestly my kids only go in for their well checks, to Dr. Lee. When they are sick they are first treated by our chiro, we put them on herbs etc., and have never had an issue, knock on wood. BUT I want them to have an MD, should the need arise, that has a file on them etc.

As far as Dr. Thompson goes, this is my Dh's exact words about him, after he saw our DD at her 3 day check up (Dr. Lee was on paternity leave as his 3rd son was born the day before our DD) "I would not take my dog to see that man, heck I wouldn't even take my ex wife to see that man!" :whistle: He did see our DD in the hospital and was great. BUT when we went in to the office, first time my DH had been in there, and he didn't realize that Dr. Thompson wasn't our pedi, Dr. Thompson and my DH had a pretty heated discussion about vaccinations. Dr. Thompson made us feel VERY uncomfortable and basically told us that our kids were not welcome in their office unless they were 100% healthy. If they had a sick kid appt., they would have to wait in the car. Fine, I get that, but DON'T repeat it over and over and over. My DH even said to him "If you have nothing else to say, I will be in the car, I feel a cough coming on." And walked out of the office. It was BAD BAD!

We got Dr. Lee's name from our chiro and a naturopath here, that said he THE pedi to go to should you not be vaccinating, said he is cool with it. While he seemed, "cool" with it at first, and had us sign a waiver, he still asks at every visit and puts a bit of unnecessary pressure on me when I go in. I don't care for it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC