Holy cow! The instructions on this booster say a 1 year old can use it.

glockchick

:eek: :thumbsdown: :eek:

I picked a couple of the Cosco Ambassadors to try on my big boys and this is what the instructions say.

It's this seat -
0004468122736_215X215.jpg

From page 14 of the manual.

Belt-Positioning Booster Use
30 - 100 lbs.
(13.6-45.4 kg),
34-57"
(85.1 - 144.8 cm) and
Over 1 year of age.

I never knew they put that young of an age in the instructions. :( This is part of the reason we see babies in seats like this. Parents think that since the manufacturer allows it, it must be safe :(

ADS

canmom

Thats bad :thumbsdown:.... isn't there a min age nation wide or anything? Here I don't think TC will approve anything less than 4yrs and 40lbs.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Not nationwide. In NC putting a 30 pound one year old in that would be legal. It's legal here in WA, too.

Wendy

kidrepair

That's scary, my 2.5 yr. old is 34 inches, I won't even put my 5.5 yr. old in one, unless it was a dire emergency.....

Maedze

All FF Dorel products have a 34 inch and 1 year of age height restriction, harnessed seat, BPB or backless. :thumbsdown:

canadiangie

Thats bad :thumbsdown:.... isn't there a min age nation wide or anything? Here I don't think TC will approve anything less than 4yrs and 40lbs.

No, we don't have a 4yr min across the board. Just a 40lb min to use a bpb.

I recently installed an Evenflo Generations and the manual stated the child must be at least 3 and 40lbs to use it in bpb mode.

I don't go around (anymore :eek:) and read manuals, but I'm guessing we have other boosters that allow for use from age 3 and 40lbs. I'm also guessing we have some with no age min, and just the 40lb min.

The "age 4" in Canada is pretty much a myth... it keeps going around, and I'm okay with parents thinking it's true (just as I'm okay with folks thinking we have a booster law in this province :whistle:), but I'm not sure where/when it started...

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
No, we don't have a 4yr min across the board. Just a 40lb min to use a bpb.
Heck, in Saskatchewan, you can put a kid in a seat belt at > 40 pounds (although I guess technically this wouldn't be a properly restrained child under 16 because there is no way the seat belt would fit correctly).

canadiangie

Heck, in Saskatchewan, you can put a kid in a seat belt at > 40 pounds.

We can too. Once a child is 40lbs they can move to a seatbelt.

If they reach age 6 before 40lbs they can move to a seatbelt.

Most parents I talk to say they think there IS a booster law in AB. I think it's because of all the public education there has been (posters, pamphlets, etc) and also all the do-all seats on the market.. parents just think a booster is a natural progression. It's the one and only reason I don't totally hate do-all seats. Without trying they've managed to educate parents on the importance of a booster... or if not the importance, then certainly that they're the "norm"... that they exist and should be used.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor

Transport Canada regulations are weight based and not age based or even height based. TC also doesn't explicitly approve any product or the manufacturer's directions due to the way that the certification process is.

There are many boosters here with just a minimum 1yr age limit on them, in fact it tends to be more the norm to not see anything other than minimum 1yr and 40lbs plus some sort of height limit. Though I have been seeing more manuals with age recommendations in them lately... Thankfully not very many 1 or 2yr olds are 40lbs - having a 30lb min on boosters really allows younger kids into boosters quite a bit sooner than a 40lb limit...

At any rate, like Angie said, the 4yrs is a myth.

HEVY

I wonder what the big kid booster seat box says cause I saw a family buy one for thier 20 month old the other day :(

emandbri

I recently installed an Evenflo Generations and the manual stated the child must be at least 3 and 40lbs to use it in bpb mode.

That is cool! I wonder if it is the same for US seats? Evenflo used to say one year as well. Britax has no age but on the car seat finder on the website it would allow you to put a 30 lbs 1 year old in a monarch.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I didn't know there were backless boosters with a 30lb minimum :(

Just that one. The others are 40. And ironically all their combo seats say 40 as a booster (even the ones with the really low top slots that won't fit any kid to 40 pounds :confused: It's crazy!)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Keep in mind, there are some instances where a less than 40 pound child is ok in a backless. Say my 5.5 year old in a NYC taxi in the center for three or four short rides. She can't help that she only weighed 35 pounds at the time. Ideal? No. But at the time it was what I had to deal with. I actually chose that booster in part because of the 30 pound limit. Also, when my neighbor would send her six year old over with her backless Turbo and the kid only weighed 37 pounds fully clothed (I weighed her) she used my booster since it was rated.

Piper is *just* hitting 40 pounds now. She was 39.5 dressed with no shoes at the doctor's last week. So even now, with her seventh birthday staring at us in July, she'd need a 30 pound backless. I know of one or two kids her age (one is literally her age) who are still in the 35 pound range. And while I would never recommend this booster full time for them for occasional travel or spare use I'd be fine with it.

Wendy

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I think weight limits are fairly silly for boosters anyway, but if they must use one, shouldn't it be at least be based on the dummies they test in it? There's no such thing as a 30 pound dummy :rolleyes:

BabyKaykes

I know there are super-lightweight kids out there. I just didn't thinkthere were any backless boosters started at 30lb.

And I can almost guarantee that DS will make it to 40lb in the harness of his AOE if it doesn't expire first (2012). He's gained only .5" of torso and 1.5lb in over a year.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC