Car seats don't expire???

estelle0702

I was watching my local news and a car seat "expert" said the thing about plastics in car seats starting to deteriorate after 6 years was untrue. She said if the seat has never been in an accident and has no visible cracks then it's safe to use. Did I miss something or is this lady wrong?

ADS

Pixels

There's a video on YouTube of a 10-year old Britax seat. It's crash-tested, and the harness completely rips out of the shell.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
You should contact the news station with the statements from different manufacturers, the Britax 10 year old crash test, and the info from Safe Kids and the NHTSA on this. That is DANGEROUS misinformation to be spreading.

Also, damage from being improperly stored, washed straps, or even an accident is not always visible. So using a seat whose history you don't know is also something she probably doesn't care about, but it's dangerous too.

ed_tricia

Has that person never seen toys a kid left in the backyard? In many cases they are thinner plastic, but even the heavy duty stuff that slides or tables for kids are made of will fade, crack, and can break when stepped on. That's not a risk I would be willing to take! I'm shocked a news station would air such a thing, as that goes against thousands of other "experts" and they should be worried about liability.

Vicki J

Definitely contact your news station, or wherever that woman came from. She is completely off her rocker! Even a 10-year old car shows severe wear over time and needs to be replaced. Not to mention updated technology and crash testing with newer cars. Ten year old seats wouldn't even have LATCH available, the woman is truly on crack.

Mommy0608

Here is a link to the video showing that the harness rips right out of a 10 year old Britax seat in a crash test.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvCRz7BRAM0

I agree with everyone. That is VERY dangerous misinformation to be spreading! I would most definitely be contacting the news station armed with the correct information.

estelle0702

Ugh, if only I could remember which station it was. It was my mom watching it and I just heard it while doing something else. Both my mom and me heard it though so I know I wasn't mistaken.

I looked at the news stations websites but didn't find anything. I think I'm going to email all of them asking if they had a segment about car seat plastic expiring.

Has that person never seen toys a kid left in the backyard? In many cases they are thinner plastic, but even the heavy duty stuff that slides or tables for kids are made of will fade, crack, and can break when stepped on. That's not a risk I would be willing to take! I'm shocked a news station would air such a thing, as that goes against thousands of other "experts" and they should be worried about liability.

That's what I always say. Even plastics in cars show wear after some years of exposure, and that stuff is the real high grade plastic. I like the toys in the backyard example the best tho cuz it shows dramatic degradation and it happens quickly so anyone curious can try it for themselves.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC