Re: Britax Boulevard straps are too short

U

Unregistered

Hello:

I just purchased a Britax Boulevard and I find that the strap length is very small. My child is 22 pounds and 72 cm in length at six months. I am struggling to put the straps around her legs and into the buckle. Shouldn’t I be able to make the straps really long and than once the child is in tighten the straps. If I am having lengths and comfort room now how is this car seat ever going to last to forward facing. Once I raise the height of the straps it doesn’t adjust to fit fullness of the baby … meaning the baby is not paper thin/flat. Am I doing something wrong …. Is there more strap somewhere and I don’t know it… the manual is very limited and Customer Service thinks it is normal for me to struggle with the straps at this stage (six months back facing). I appreciate the post from “itzmeigh’ … I was placing my baby on top of the cushion pad that belongs between the baby and the crotch strap. If anyone knows what I am doing wrong I would really appreciate your help.

ADS

itzmeigh

hum... The harness shouldn't be too short. I'm not sure I'm understanding where your problem is this time so I will try to be a little more general and see if that helps.

Britax seats are made so that the leg part of the harness lays over the child's thighs instead of over their hips like on some seats. This means that the crotch strap is shorter then on most seats. But safety wise this is what you want. Kids do fit the BLVD until they are about 4-6 years old.

When you check for tightness in the harness you only check in 2 spots. Over the shoulder at the collar bone and over the "hip" area. You check for tightness by seeing that you can't pinh the harness together in line with it's self. (pinching in a straight libne with the harness.)

Most times on a Britax seat the area between the shoulders and the hips (the belly area) will feel a bit loose. This is fine and normal as long as you can't pinch slack in the harness at the shoulders and hips.

If there just isn't enough harness then i'd uninstall the seat and be sure that you don't have it caught up somewhere. That harness is LONG. I can show pictures of it and I can promise you that it will fit a 6 month old.

monstah

My BLVD is sitting next to me right now. I'm going to snap a couple pics for you, upload them and be right back, hang on.

SPJ&E

Did you loosen the harness (pull the little metal lever up at the front, where the adjuster is, and pull the harness straps out)?

Blondie87

Are you loosing it by lifting the lil lever thing by the adjuster strap and pulling the straps?

monstah

This is the metal adjuster. When you pull it up and pull on the harness around the chest clip area, it should loosen right up for you.

100_4234.jpg

This is how much slack I can get. It's plenty to easily fit her in.

100_4236.jpg

Does this help?

Make sure the harness isn't getting caught up anywhere. Any twisting in the harness will make it hard to adjust.

100_4237.jpg

Last edited:

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician

Once I raise the height of the straps it doesn’t adjust to fit fullness of the baby … meaning the baby is not paper thin/flat.

Yeah, I agree with the other posters. It sounds like maybe you're trying to tighten the straps by moving the harness height/headrest up and down.

You need to adjust the harness height so the straps are at or slightly below your baby's shoulders--then leave it there until you need to adjust it again (not until Baby grows taller).

To loosen the harness, lift the metal tab and pull out on the straps. To tighten, pull the adjuster strap below the metal tab. Once it stops tightening, you might need to give it a few extra little tugs to get it properly tight.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC