If/When to move child to booster?

marim123

Hi,

My son is 4 years old, 41 inches tall, 36 pounds. He's FF in a Britax Boulevard. Today, for the first time, he asked if he could have a booster seat like other kids. I told him that booster seats are for older kids but then he pointed out that his younger cousin (age 3) sits in a booster. So I then said that his current car seat is much more comfy and safe, and the 5 pt harness is like a racecar driver's. That seemed to satisfy him for the time being.

I would love some advice about this. When should I move my son from his britax boulevard to a booster? Does he even need to move to a booster since his current seat has a height limit of 49" and a weight limit of 65 pounds? Also, I was/am under the impression that a 5 pt harness is safer than any booster. Am I wrong about that? Isn't it better to keep a child in a 5 pt harness as long as possible? Is there any reason to move a child to a booster from a regular 5 pt harness car seat?

Thanks so much for your advice.

best regards,
marim

ADS

mykidsmylife

If he still fits in the harness, it is best to keep him there.
He should be at least 40lbs before moving to a booster. He also needs the maturity to sit properly in a booster. He needs to sit still at all times, keep seatbelt positioned properly, no slouching, should sleep sitting up.

If he cannot do these things he is not ready for a booster.

My son is 6 and occasionally sits in a booster. At 4 he was NO WHERE near mature enough to sit properly.

Evolily

My personal opinion, is that a child shouldn't move to a booster full time until around 6 years old. After 4, I am OK with a booster only for emergencies, and after 5 I am OK with a booster for short rides to "booster train". It mostly has to do with emotional maturity, most kids aren't ready to sit correctly until 6.

I personally don't believe in using a harness seat for a kid older than 7 unless there is a developmental issue (either behaviorally or physically) that prevents a booster from being a safe option. But, of course, if research is revealed showing that a 5 point harness seat is significantly safer than a properly used booster then my opinion would change!

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
My dd is a little older than your child and no where near ready for a booster. a 3 year oild is NEVER appropriate for a booster, and depending on your state, it might actually be illegal for him to be in one.

A good "compromise" is the graco nautilus seat, because it LOOKS like a booster ( just like a turbobooster booster) but it has a 5 pt harness until 65 lbs, but with top slots about 2 inches higher than the blvd, so will actually fit much older and taller children. If the money is not an issue for your family, perhaps you could give it a try.

jillianrose

My five year old is still in a five point harness (Radian 80) and I would like to keep her in it until age six. The only reason I personally would move a less than six year old to a booster is if I could not get a good install with seat belt only once the anchor limit is reached.

She's 39.5 lbs now so I have to switch her Radian from a latch install to a seatbelt install very soon. If I can't get a good install using the seatbelt, I will (reluctantly) put her in a booster.

I fully agree with the maturity issue. She rides in a booster twice a week when I babysit a friend's smaller child (who rides in the Radian), and my daughter definitely does not show adequate "booster maturity". I've caught her with her twisting out of the shoulder belt a couple of times. I hope I can keep her in the Radian anohter year!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
You can use your current seat till the weight limit is reached OR till the shoulders are at the top harness position. It may be there already, or you may have up to 2 more years, but either way, you will need a booster after that, most kids need one till they are at least 4 foot 9 to 5 feet tall and age 10-12 before the seatbelt fits them safely. (Most states' laws don't reflect that, unfortunately, and have random ages that are totally inadequate).

Just a glimpse into your carseat future, there...you've got a great seat, keep using it as long as it fits :)

marim123

Wow..thanks so much for the quick replies and the link to that video. I'll definitely be keeping my boys in their 5 pt harness seats as long as possible. I'm sure glad I didn't just listen to my 4 year old and switch him out.

As for my nephew, who will be 4 this month, I know the booster is not right for him. After seeing that video especially. It makes sense. In an accident/rollover, his booster won't protect like a harness. He is bigger than my son (42 inches tall, 42 pounds), but not big enough for his booster.

I asked my SIL why she moved her son to a booster and she said it was because my nephew's Britax Decathlon was too wide for her car (she has 3 kids in the back seat).

I was unsure what to get him for his birthday. Now I think I'll be getting my nephew a new car seat with a higher height/weight limit 5 pt harness. Any suggestions for a narrow seat for a 4 year old who should be harnessed?

Thanks again for the advice.

Regards,
marim

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC