Armrests or not?

kristenbelle

We're in a holding pattern with our careseats until one of our Wizards expires (in April of next year) or until DD1 (5) has another growth spurt. She has a Graco Nautilus in DH's car and it's serving us well, but I am starting to understand some folks' preference for carseats without armrests or armrests that flip up out of the way. She likes the cupholder and the space to put treasures, but the armrests get in her way when she's trying to climb up in the car and into her seat.

I've been eyeing up the Radian carseats for some time - we also have a 2 year old who will inherit any carseats from DD1 when she outgrows them and eventually moves into a HBB. I had a brief flirtation with a Regent (as far as buying one) but then our financial situation changed and I'm sitting tight as the carseats we have right now are still working.

Just wondering about others' opinions with older children, as far as whether armrests are worth it or are a pain (or whatever). I'd love to have a look at a Radian, but no-one around here carries them.

Thanks!

ADS

Tyler'sMom1117

I think it depends on the seat. I don't like the TB because it is hard to get the seatbelt under the arm rests and over my sons thighs. He has chunky thighs. I like the Evenflo Big Kid Confidence seat in my husbands Taurus, but I don't like it in my Freestar. It is hard to get the seatbelt in the correct slots even though there are no arm rests. I don't know why it is harder but it is. I love the Clek Olli booster with armrests in any car I have tried. They are tall enough that they are comfortable for my son and enough room to get the seat belt under the armrests. I hope I helped you some and didn't confuse you. I find it really comes down to how your child fits in the seat and what vehicle it is going in.

monstah

I know I can't stand the Nautilus's armrests and absoutely adore the low profile of the Radian. It is so easy for my DS to climb into the Radian and I can see out the back window over it. I choose the Radian hands down because of this.
But - I also have a long torsoed kiddo and he only has millimeters before outgrowing the Radian. I will have to switch him to his Nautilus probably before his 4th birthday. :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC