For those who don't want to give up your seat protectors....

natysr

and you know who you are....;)

First, I will say that I have no pictures, so you'll have to trust me...I considered taking some, but was far too embarrassed.

I have a car that is 2 years, 7 months old. It has 135,000 miles on it. It has tan, cloth seats. Jordan has been rearfacing in that car for all this time. He's been allowed to eat and drink in the car, and he is about the messiest eater I know. He is one of the oldest kids at daycare, and is the messiest eater there.

Well, Thursday was the last straw. He spilled chocolate milk in the car.

So, this morning while DH was practicing Escrima in the driveway with a buddy, I set out to really do a full on cleaning of my car.

When I took Jordan's seat out of the car today, the vehicle seatback was still soaked where the carseat touches the seatback. The entire backseat had stains here there and everywhere.

So, I told DH that we HAVE to get the seats shampooed. So Jordan and I loaded into the Pathfinder and followed DH to the detail place. DH dropped off the car and we all went out to lunch. Went back to pick up the car....

drumroll please.....

$55 dollars later, not a single stain was left. It is as if I have a brand new car again.

So, even if you have a light colored interior.
Even if you never put a t-shirt over the vehicle seat back.
Even if you let your kid eat in the car.

You can still get the seats cleaned and have it looking good as new.

You do NOT need a seat protector or a towel or anything.

ADS

SarahLong

I have a towel under Avery's carseat because I have leather seats. You can't shampoo leater seats, lol. I had it in at first without, and I took it out one day and it left huge dents in the seat(which the towel does not prevent, but it doesn't look so bad) and the black color of the scenera was on the leather. I can't tell you how FUMED I was that my light light tan leatehr seats now had a black square on them! So I put the towel in. I never thought to do it, but I was reading the manual to see what I could have done wrong to cause that, and it said I could use a thin towel.

keri1292

It seems that some leather is just higher quality/more resilient than others. My 1999 Ford Windstar seats would have 4" indentations in them, but spring back in a weekend. If I used the towel and only ended up with 2" indentations, I would know that I had at least another two inches of compression in my seat and I would consider that too much interference with the install. When we got our pristine 06 Town & Country last year, I contemplated using a thin T-shirt, but when I did the Math, I realized that there is no way I will see the seat of that vehicle in the next 9 years as my petite son will be 12ish when he outgrows a backless booster. Looking at it that way, eh, I decided not to let it bother me. Now, if I could just keep his goldfish in his hands. :D

Tyler'sMom1117

I have used my carpet cleaner to clean the interior carpet in our vehicles for years. I have yet to have something I couldn't get clean. It is amazing how well it works. A friend of mine had a ten year old car with carpet/upholstry that looked pretty matted down everywhere. I cleaned it for her as a Christmas gift. It literally looked brand new.

Connor's Mom

worthless_thread.gif

:D

natysr

135k miles in less than three years? What do you DO with your car?

:eek: We have a long commute. And our friends live quite a ways away from us in the other direction.

And DH's family is 6 and 9 hours away.

But, in our defense, we do carpool and it is a hybrid. Our SUV has extremely low milage on it.

SarahLong

I just bought my 2008 Impala on December 19, 2008. At that time it had 14,000 something miles on it. It has been 2 months and 1 week, and it now has 19,445 miles on it. 5,000 miles in 2 months! I live in a very large city, and anywhere you drive is usually atleast 20-25 miles away. 30-45 minute trips anywhere but the grocery store is the norm. When you live in a large city, you just have to get over what the mileage says day to day. I was obsessed over it at first, but I've realised that the driving I do is necessary, so there's no use in stressing about it.

I agree. I just got out RED/BLUE/Yellow M & M stains out of under Logan's carseat and Green stains out of under michael's.

Total cost: 10.00 (the price of the shampoo in my shampooer).

I don't like seat protectors. My FIL swears I need one in his ford escape due to his leather seats :rolleyes: ..... Leather seats are awseome and wipe off easily he found out and now doesn't throw a fit when I won't let him put a seat protector on under it.

I have semi-aniline leather in my car. If you're bored, you can look up why it's so sensitive. Sorry, I'm still using the seat protector (well, tiny towel).

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
It seems that some leather is just higher quality/more resilient than others.
Interestingly enough, it's often the stiffer, cheaper leather than springs back without issues. The really soft, high quality stuff has a tendency to damage easier. But if feels oh so nice! :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC