Infant in Limo?

jamiebrewha

I will have an almost 3 week old when my husband and I will be involved in a wedding next month. They have arranged 'room for us' in the limo to get from the ceremony to the reception, but of course people who don't have kids don't think of the carseat issue. I'll have my SnugRide with us... is it possible to safely install a SnugRide in a limo? I know it has to be in a forward facing seat.... are there other considerations?

Otherwise, I think the options are Boston public transportation (what do you with carseats then?) or a taxi of course (which we'd like to avoid the cost of but will do if it is the only safe option!)

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Forward facing seat with a locking belt. That should be available. Make sure everyone else buckles up so they don't become projectiles in a crash (or refuse to ride with them.) If you're installing without the base make sure you know how to do that with both a lap and a shoulder belt; check to make sure the belt locks before you use it (it should, but just check to make sure.)

You can carry the baby on the bus/train/subway in the SR if you go that route, for convenience. Buses/trains are very safe, despite the lack of belts, so it would really just be for a place to put him (especially if he sleeps well in it) or leave it at the hotel and carry him if you're sure you'll be riding public transport both ways. Taxi, same thing as any other car-- make sure you know how to do both a lap belt and lap/shoulder belt installation without the base, it isn't that hard but you do need to know how to do it so it will be safe if you have to do it.

Personally I'd feel out the other limo riders to make sure they'll be belted beforehand, to know whether you'll need to arrange another ride.

Mommy0608

What she said. ;)

I just want to emphasize the fact that you'll need to make SURE all other passengers are buckled in the limo. In addition to people as projectiles, there are potentially many other projectiles as well, such as drinking glasses, if there will be toasting in the limo.

How are you getting to the ceremony? My first choice (if this is possible) would be to follow in my own vehicle. If that's not feasible, I'd check with all other limo riders to make sure they understand the need to be belted properly, and find out if there will be glasses, etc. that could fly around the vehicle in a crash (or even if the driver has to slam on his breaks). If you don't feel confident that the other passengers will be belted for the whole ride and know there will be lots of projectiles, I'd opt for the public transportation (train, taxi, bus, etc.) If you do this, I'd still bring the infant seat because your child is comfortable in it. If he gets fussy and you don't have the seat, you'll be struggling to hold him, plus you'll have to walk to/from the transportation with any baggage you have (purse, gift, etc.) so using an infant carrier may be convenient... it'll be extra weight, but it might be easier to carry if you're juggling other items as well. :twocents:

Hope that helps! Enjoy the wedding. :)

keri1292

Another option could be arranging a ride with a couple from the area to the reception. I'm sure there is a close family friend that would have room for a sweet new baby in the car. :love: This would be my first choice.

Mommy0608

Another option could be arranging a ride with a couple from the area to the reception. I'm sure there is a close family friend that would have room for a sweet new baby in the car. :love: This would be my first choice.

:yeahthat:

There might be someone with room for you and baby to catch a ride.

jamiebrewha

Thanks. We're looking into all the options. The limo will most likely not work... I can't imagine telliing the bride, I'm sorry, but you need to fasten your seatbelt - lol. (Though I see the need... so we'll opt for other transportaton.)

My husband is the pastor DOING the weddng... so I'll be kind of fending for myself with baby. But the groom is lookng into someone with a personal vehicle who I can ride with. Thanks for the info and perspectives!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Heh, personally I had an hour and a half drive, in stop-and-go traffic, between my wedding and my ring ceremony/reception, and I darn sure buckled my seatbelt, in my wedding dress, wouldn't have thought of anything else!

It is just so ingrained in me that I wouldn't risk my life on the way to my reception by not buckling up, couldn't do it!

Funny how people have different perspectives on that. ;)

jamiebrewha

True... I had quite a drive too and wore my seatbelt. BUt I guess I dont want to be *that* person to bug the bridal party... plus all the glasses and anything else are a concern even IF everyone is buckled. I'd rather just protect my and my child the best way I know how .... which seems to be in a regular vehicle or worst case, public transport.

Murphy's Law

Yeah, we were in a similar situation (though my dd was 20 months not 3 weeks!) We arranged for her to ride with the father of the bride to the ceremony. He was taking his own vehicle and I installed the seat ahead of time. On the way to the reception, I had my mom take dd with her since there's always a seat for my kids in my mom's car. It all worked out. Like you, I didn't want to possibly ruffle any feathers in the limo, so we opted to arrange for dd to go another way.

Have a great time!

Misty-Bug

I would opt out of the limo. We are going to the airport and my brother rented a limo. We had to say no to it because of too many factors. I can't guarantee everyone will wear their seatbelts. Also the wine glasses and wine bottles were a concern for me. So we are taking our own car.

Good luck

flipper68

Senior Community Member
In my only experience in a limo, I don't remember even SEEING seat belts in seating positions other than the back seat. One of the limos even had LATCH and tethers. We did use CRs for the two kids, but we had considerable luggage in the seating area with us.

I agree with trying to arrange a ride with someone taking their personal car. Surely someone would be willing to chauffeur the pastor's wife and baby.

BTW - pretty cool that the wedding couple INVITED the pastor's wife, especially since it sounds like you're coming from out of town.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC