My husband the police officer said...

HEVY

the state law is 5yrs and 60lbs :rolleyes:
There was a woman arriving at the Y when we were leaving. Her 7yr old was in the back leaning up against the front seat and mom was not wearing a seat belt.
I was like, it's unsafe for your son to not be in a seat belt and she said he was wearing one, and I'm like nooo he wasn't and neither were you. She said yes we were I just told him to take it off when we got in the parking lot, that they wouldn't have time to park and take it off :confused: Not true since I was parked at the very begining and watched her as she drove down the street and was waiting to turn into the lot. Anyway she says, well my husbands a police officer and he says it's OK to to this, thank you for your concern. I asked how old her son was and she said 7, I told her the law was 8/80 to be in a booster, she's like no my husband said 5/60 and he's 60. I told her again NJ state law is 8/80 and she said thank you for your concern.

ADS

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
Wow, NJ has been 8/80 since my son was 7 I think - which would have been 2000. Maybe even a little earlier than that!!

urchin_grey

Unfortunately, it seems that a lot of police officers don't have a clue. My sister's ex was a cop in New Orleans and he was trying to convince my sister to turn their 4mo son FF'ing (in an infant seat). :eek:

The worst part is that before he was a NO cop, he started out as a traffic cop in a small town in LA. How are these people getting through police academy without even knowing the car safety laws in their state? :thumbsdown:

mamabear

Yeah, "cops" don't really know any more than anyone else who hasn't educated themselves.

If they did, I wouldn't have had to reinstall ALL THREE of my cousin's son's seats when we visited last week. Her BIL is a Highway Patrol and helped with the original installs. I think I un-did every misuse listed in the book, plus a couple of new ones:whistle:

I may post the whole story later, I'm still too angry to talk about it:mad:

tjham

the state law is 5yrs and 60lbs :rolleyes:
There was a woman arriving at the Y when we were leaving. Her 7yr old was in the back leaning up against the front seat and mom was not wearing a seat belt.
I was like, it's unsafe for your son to not be in a seat belt and she said he was wearing one, and I'm like nooo he wasn't and neither were you. She said yes we were I just told him to take it off when we got in the parking lot, that they wouldn't have time to park and take it off :confused: Not true since I was parked at the very begining and watched her as she drove down the street and was waiting to turn into the lot. Anyway she says, well my husbands a police officer and he says it's OK to to this, thank you for your concern. I asked how old her son was and she said 7, I told her the law was 8/80 to be in a booster, she's like no my husband said 5/60 and he's 60. I told her again NJ state law is 8/80 and she said thank you for your concern.

AND she lies in front of her kid...:mad:

HEVY

He was standing right next to her for most of the convo, except when I said it was unsafe, she had sent him back to the car when I said that.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC