News Chicago Tribune Article (3/1/09) Titled "Car seat tests reveal 'flaws'"

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Re: Chicaco Tribune Article (3/1/09) Titled "Car seat tests reveal 'flaws'"

Other than the possible misuse issue, isn't this proof that it's ok to test car seats for safety? Yeah, you can't cover every variable, but testing is better than not testing. If you have some minimum standard to try and better, that can only be good for the consumer.

We can work on the misuse. That's a separate issue that is more about educating. But we still want to make sure seats get safer and safer.

I agree. In fact, I have a soap box for this very issue-

http://carseatblog.com/?p=1495

ADS

Oooh, good stuff. Gracias!

From a consumer standpoint, the JPMA is worthless. It's like listening to the spokesperson for the cigarette industry on whether smoking is safe or not.

mightymarce

I agree. In fact, I have a soap box for this very issue-

http://carseatblog.com/?p=1495

I just started doing research for a convertible car seat for my son, and am truly appalled that there appears to be no public safety ratings for the seats on the market. It seems insane. So we're left t just speculate over whether added "safety" features that cost $$$ even do anything significant during a crash.

I just don';t understand how this information isn't out there for consumers to use when making decisions about the seats they want to buy to protect their children.

While it is appalling that the info isn't out there, the misuse/nonuse by parents is equally appalling.

What most parents do and what the best practice is is pretty much at complete opposite ends of the spectrum. In many areas, if the kid is even in a seat at all is considered a victory. And not the proper seat for his age/weight, but any seat at all.

Wineaux

I agree.

I'm afraid the average reader will not grasp why this is though. Most consumers I encounter feel that if they follow consumer reports buying recommendations that they are subscribing to "safety ratings."

News writers never convey (although the Tribune writer one hints at it) that "safety ratings" are of little value when they exist because variables relating to what car one is installing the restraint in and if correct installation was acheived are so numerous.

Car safety ratings simply have less variables to contend with to establish useful baselines for the consumer.

(Bolded by me for emphasis.)
Well, of course we now know that is not true at all based up this article. While testing for the variable of driver safety seems pretty straight forward, it's obvious that they didn't even bother to worry about rear seat safety, or even integrity in a crash! There are obviously lots of variables when crash testing anything, but consumers deserve at least an inkling as to how the most important purchase of their life performs, and how it compares to other seats on the market.

I stated in a previous thread somewhat related to this subject that as CPST's we stress that car seat laws are BARE MINIMUMS.
Wineuax said:
A crash test ratings system will give consumers a voice in car seat safety that quite frankly they have never had in this country, and Canada. Seriously, we tell parents ALL.THE.TIME that the law of 1 year AND 20 lbs is just the "bare minimum", and that it's so much safer to RF longer. So why on earth should we be happy with purchasing car seats that just pass the bare minimum? Give us the ability to make an INFORMED choice, and stop leaving us in the dark where we are now!

This article restates much of what I, and many others on this board, have been arguing for well over a year now. We need stricter and more transparent standards for car seat safety, and we need a simple 1-5* crash rating system similar to what we see in vehicles. The vehicle manufacturers also need to be telling us what seats work and don't work in their specific vehicles. This whole "roll the dice and hope that the seat you researched and chose to put your child in will actually FIT in your vehicle" is ridiculous. Enough already! NHTSA is supposed to be protecting the people of this country and not the manufacturers of the products it tests. They need to get back to basics and seriously redo the entire testing process, both for vehicles AND for car seats.

wherryj

Yep, I took the special needs class with a "highly trained tech". I was ready to pound my head against a wall. Not all techs are created equal.

Exactly who was installing the car seats during the original testing that "proved" the manufacturer's seats were safe? Why are these people NOW so incompetent?

A lot of these seats are now failing due to hitting a rear seat that isn't present on the testing sled. Guess what? I actually USE a front seat in the vehicle that I drive. I suspect that these Tribune tests just MIGHT be a bit more accurate than the previous sled results. At the very least they call for a very close look at the NHTSA methods and a possible complete overhaul of the testing methods.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC