Can I use my middle lap-only belt??

Pinky

Help! I just bought a Britax Marathon and I'm totally confused about the warning in the "lap-belt installation" section of the manual: "Do not use this seat using a non-locking two-point ELR vehicle belt". Despite googling this for an hour, I still can't figure out what a "non-locking two-point ELR vehicle belt" is.

I have a 1993 VW Golf, and the back seat middle position has the kind of lap-only belt that is slack when not in use (not the kind that retracts). Can I use this, or do I need to put the seat on one of the sides? I need to install rear-facing.

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light!

ADS

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
You do have a locking lapbelt--the latchplate itself locks in your car.
It looks like this, correct?
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/childps/CSR2001/installImages/Latchpla/backlock.jpg

As long as the tail and main belt run at less than 30 degrees to one another in and out, it should remain tight and locked. If you find that it's pulling loose or you can't get the tail and belt near flush, flip the male portion of the belt over (180 degrees) and you'll then have a negative angle. It'll be locked at that point.

I believe that warning is in the manual because that specific (generally older) type of belt isn't compatible with the built-in lockoffs on the seat... But if you're confused, don't worry. You're fine using that centre seating position--just follow the directions in the above paragraph.

-Nicole (in shock that someone read the manual that well..)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
An ELR lapbelt doesn't have a tail, it has a retractor. You pull it out and it does not lock (not a switchable retractor, ELR only.) If yours has a tail it is not ELR, by definition, because it does not have an emergency locking retractor, it has no retractor. :)

hipmaman

In a '93, I would think that it has either a locking retractor or a lock latchplate (like the kind that Nicole/QuassEE linked). Either mechanism would do for installing carseat.

If your seatbelt only has the retractor that only locks when you jerk it fast (ie. emergency locking retractor/ELR) AND the latchplate is sewn in (you can tell by the stitching to 'fix' the latchplate in place and it cannot move along the seatbelt webbing), then you cannot install carseat there w/o the aid of the Belt-Shortening clip. This is rare and only in certain types of older (older as in 70s-80s) vehicles.

My '92 Honda Accord has a locking latchplate and ELR and I do install my Britax seats there w/o problem.

snowbird25ca

So, what kind of cars have lap belts like that? I have never seen one IRL...

Really old ones. :eek:

Sorry, I'm not sure off the top of my head of what vehicles came with lap only belts which had fixed/sewn on latch plate and only an ELR. Most of the time, when you come across a lap only belt on a retractor it's either an ALR or an ELR/ALR, but some of the older vehicles only had ELR lapbelts. I've never actually seen one myself.

Pinky

Oops - one more question: should I be using the tether in the rear facing position? My Golf is one of the models with that bar that runs across the top of the trunk - will that work with the Marathon tether system? BTW - I am having the installation checked in a couple of weeks at a BCAA/ICBC clinic.

QuassEE

That's a whole can o' worms there...

You may want to read up on some of the debate that surrounds rear-facing tethering, and make up your own mind. Some people choose to do it, others choose not to. Absorb what you can, and ask any questions you may have about the information at that point.

BTW, I'm in Delta if you would prefer not to wait for your local BCAA check event.

-Nicole.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC