Just out of curiosity.... old picture & AOE.

monstah

Can anyone tell if I was using this in the highest position? This is the last picture I have of my DS in his Eddie Bauer 40 pound version.

The highest setting is for booster use only, it is not reinforced for use with the harness. I'm just curious if I was using it wrong.

Last edited:
ADS

Mama!

Its possible. We had that seat and if the headwings were that far up, and right beside the belt guides, it was most likely in top position.

I could be wrong though.

monstah

It looks like I can add one more item to my list of car seat misues before I found this site. :eek:

He was 1.5 years old in that picture. So, if that is the highest harness slot, he outgrew the AOE harness by 1.5!? That's just ridiculous.

Although, he was probably under 35 pounds, so I would have been able to turn him around RF, had I known better.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'd probably guess it's in the top usable position. The headrest does stick out a little from the top of the shell on that seat in that position (I've been corrected on this point once or twice when I guessed otherwise :eek:), and the highest UNusable position is like 17 inches, I'd think it'd be a lot further above his shoulders :twocents:

monstah

I'd probably guess it's in the top usable position. The headrest does stick out a little from the top of the shell on that seat in that position (I've been corrected on this point once or twice when I guessed otherwise :eek:), and the highest UNusable position is like 17 inches, I'd think it'd be a lot further above his shoulders :twocents:

Thanks! Does anyone have a picture of it, knowing if it is in booster mode or top harness slot so we can compare?

I was thinking about it, and I *think* I remember struggling and forcing it to move up to the highest position - but that would have been much closer to his second birthday, months after this picture was taken.

:scratcheshead: Hmmmm. Curiosity.

Vanessa618

I think that's the top *usable* position :)

I think so, too. I just checked on this as my mom still has one in her car and I wanted to make sure it wasn't being used incorrectly. Ours is in the position below that one and I remember it would still move up twice, so leaving 1 usable position. I will try to get a pic when I am over there today.

urchin_grey

Okay, dumb question... Why are there slots on some seats that are unusable anyway? :whistle: I know you say its for booster mode, but I still don't get it. We're talking BPB, right, so would you just use the vehicle seat belt?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Okay, dumb question... Why are there slots on some seats that are unusable anyway? :whistle: I know you say its for booster mode, but I still don't get it. We're talking BPB, right, so would you just use the vehicle seat belt?

It's just that the headrest has 4 positions (on the back, there's a bar and slots that the bar fits into, 4 sets of slots), the bottom three are safe to use with the harness, but it has that 4th position to make the headrest higher for taller kids to use it as a booster. It's not safe to use it harnessed (head excursion is too high, kids have died, unfortunately), but they really don't have any other way to get that booster height....the harness just keeps 'looking' like it's usable, because it's attached to that headrest.

Britax is smarter, they have a screw you have to remove so you can't accidentally use the seat as a harnessed seat in booster mode. And Cosco is wising up, they have finally made ALL the slots safe for use in booster mode ONLY on the seats with the 50 pound harness limits. Still makes millions of 40lb limit seats easy to misuse, but they are on the right track at least.

urchin_grey

It's just that the headrest has 4 positions (on the back, there's a bar and slots that the bar fits into, 4 sets of slots), the bottom three are safe to use with the harness, but it has that 4th position to make the headrest higher for taller kids to use it as a booster. It's not safe to use it harnessed (head excursion is too high, kids have died, unfortunately), but they really don't have any other way to get that booster height....the harness just keeps 'looking' like it's usable, because it's attached to that headrest.

Britax is smarter, they have a screw you have to remove so you can't accidentally use the seat as a harnessed seat in booster mode. And Cosco is wising up, they have finally made ALL the slots safe for use in booster mode ONLY on the seats with the 50 pound harness limits. Still makes millions of 40lb limit seats easy to misuse, but they are on the right track at least.

Wow, you'd think they'd make it impossible use the straps that way or put a darn sticker on the seat or something. Scary stuff. :(

monstah

Wow, you'd think they'd make it impossible use the straps that way or put a darn sticker on the seat or something. Scary stuff. :(

It is scary. I always thought I was pretty car seat saavy before finding this site, (I was not.)
I read the manual before installing the seat for the first time, when switching from RF to FF, when I washed the cover, but I didn't think to read it to move the harness straps up a slot.
There isn't a sticker, but the plastic is embossed with a warning. The problem is that the embossing just blends into everything else.
Boo.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC