Opinions on Radian XT use, please.

racesmom

Senior Community Member
I am looking to move my almost 5 y/o out of his Wizards. He's just at or slightly above the top harness setting, 17" torso best I can measure, 46 lbs. His Radian XT arrived today. It took a little work, but installed solid in the center lap belt of my '95 Saturn. My question is about how long ds can realistically use this seat. I know SK says it can be used until the tip of the ears are above the seat back. Has anyone used it that long? Is it comfortable? It looks like the top slots are set in further than the others, so I'm wondering how comfortable that could be with the slots below the shoulders???? Once installed it looks like he only has about half to 3/4" before his shoulders are above the slots, and maybe double that for his ears.
At $280 I need this seat to last as long as possible!

My other dilemma is I have to be able to get three seats across since I do day care. That makes a Regent out of the question. I wasn't thrilled with the GN since the booster doesn't seem very tall, and he'd soon be out of the harness by height. I tried the Frontier (bought for my mom's car) and couldn't get it tight (didn't try *too* hard) and it's pretty wide for three across (maybe do-able, but tough). I also have a teen (15.5) that rides in the rear, if we don't have dc kids, and he sometimes has a friend with him. By keeping Zane in the middle that frees up the shoulder belts. My thoughts are to keep Zane in the center harnessed as long as possible, then use the center Radian for dc kids, and put Zane outboard in a good SIP booster.

Here's a couple pics I snapped tonight. It was getting dark and colder, so I just clicked and we came inside. I'm not sure they accurately show his size, but it'll give you an idea. I can get better pics tomorrow, if needed.

Give me your educated guess on how long he can safely and comfortably use this seat. Thanks so much!!

100_5838.jpg

100_5839.jpg

As a total side note, Rio isn't really red, it's more of a dark magenta. :rolleyes:

ADS

Maedze

Oh dear, I hate to say this, but he's really *this* close to being too big for it. One good growth spurt is really all it will take. It could be next week, it could be six months from now, but I don't think you're going to be getting much use out of it :(

racesmom

Senior Community Member
Ok, best I can get from marking the wall is 44.5" tall, torso around 16.75", to the top of his ear around 21.75".

I'll try to get a better pic in the day light when I'm not freezing. It seems like he should have some growing room. <dunno>

Thanks for the help!

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
I believe Gypsy said that the memory foam could be removed. Would that give him a little bit more room...?

Pixels

At his age, height, and with 1/2-3/4" growing room, he probably only has about 6 months according to the growth charts. As a PP said, it really depends on when he hits his next growth spurt, and if that growth is in his legs or his torso.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
While I agree he doesn't appear to have much growing room, I'd keep it anyway since there's really no other option for keeping him harnessed AND fitting 3-across. Even if he only gets six more months in it, at his age six more months of harnessing is fairly big deal. It will give him more time to mature before you have to move a daycare kid to that seat and put him in a booster.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
If he's not complaining of discomfort, I'd use it to the max limits SK allows. Bitsy found it extremely uncomfortable with the old narrow chest clip at age 7 (you have the new one, it's more comfy, and really she didn't complain about the rest of the seat at all).

But really, if it were my own kid I'd feel comfortable using it a good long time (a couple of my mom's cars don't have shoulderbelts/top anchors and I may end up using this there till Leah's ears are at the top, and I'm fine with that :) )

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Just some anecdotal info: DS has been on the same slots in both the Radian and Regent for... over year now? With room to spare. He's six. ALOT of leg growth! But torso growth has slown down alot.

racesmom

Senior Community Member
Thank you all so very much! It's a tough choice $$ wise, but I think safety wise I'm leaning towards keeping it. Dh is fine with it since it was refund $$ because we have kids, and he says we can always buy a good booster when the time comes. We have errands to run today, so I'll see how Zane fits after settling into it. He's really excited about the seat, and Race is excited to have a bit more room sitting beside him.

Thanks again!

SGTex

Just some anecdotal info: DS has been on the same slots in both the Radian and Regent for... over year now? With room to spare. He's six. ALOT of leg growth! But torso growth has slown down alot.

My DS too - he was on the 2nd to top slot in his Regent for a year and during that time he grew from 47" to 52" and I just moved him up to the top slot maybe 2 weeks ago. So he grew 4-5" and almost all of it was leg.

Splash

I'd probably return it and get him a regular radian. A lot cheaper with the same (perhaps slightly taller) slots but easier to go over the slots without the wings in the way.

racesmom

Senior Community Member
I'd probably return it and get him a regular radian. A lot cheaper with the same (perhaps slightly taller) slots but easier to go over the slots without the wings in the way.

Really? I guess coming out of 4.5 years in the Wizard I'm struggling with doing away with the wings. Plus, he sleeps quite a bit in the car.

This decision would be sooooo much easier if I had seats available to just go try instead of having to order and wait, or a bigger vehicle. :rolleyes:

arly1983

Really? I guess coming out of 4.5 years in the Wizard I'm struggling with doing away with the wings. Plus, he sleeps quite a bit in the car.

This decision would be sooooo much easier if I had seats available to just go try instead of having to order and wait, or a bigger vehicle. :rolleyes:

My C has been in a FFing radian 65 for a while and sleeps great in it (2.5 yrs) but isn't sleeping comfortably at all in the XT. I am trying to give it some time. Maybe she will learn to sleep in it.

But if I were planning on using the seat above the top slots, I might would return in. I do think the wings would be in way. Plus, he is in the middle of your car so SIP is not as important.

C and J also have more growing room in the 65 but removing the memory foam might help you there. (I can't wait to take pics in a couple of weeks when I am cleared for heavy lifting.)

Its a thought, anyway.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
My kids sleep great in their Radians without any wings (or pillows or anything!)

Here's a pic (actually my favorite car seat pic of them):

25r1rnl.jpg

I think the seat is narrow enough it lets them lean their heads without too extreme tilting, and they actually sleep quite frequently in it. My eldest will be over the top slots in an inch or two (not in that pic, but now) and she still would have head support with the same amount of leaning even if she went over.

Your seat is in the middle, it looks like? So I wouldn't see the wings as as much of a safety "necessity" necessarily, and I agree it would make it easier to use the seat to the maximum height.

racesmom

Senior Community Member
After all this, it looks like we'll be keeping it. It would be a 10% re-stocking fee plus shipping to return it. Dh doesn't want to be out that much $. Zane rode in it a couple times yesterday and really loves it, and he does have some growing room, so I guess it's ours for now. If he outgrows it sooner than I like I'll consider getting a 65 from SK.

Thanks again for your help!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC