Question about child's fit in the nautilus

Jennifer mom to my 7

I haven't used this seat that often, but decided to keep it installed in the sienna for now since dd is pretty much out of the decathlon (and the nautilus was taking up space in the house:eek::whistle:). The issue is that she needs the top slots when sitting properly, but because of where her legs hit the front of the seat, she was able to slouch down alot, and be by the second to last slots. Basically, she made it so she could bend her knees at the front of the seat. Would the frontier make this better? Maybe I should just try to look for those comparison pics....

ADS

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
hhmm..not sure..the depth of the nauti is less deep than the frontier...so 'i would thin it would be worse in the frontier? I'm not sure?
is this the 3 or 6 year old?
My dd is only 4, and her legs are further out than the edge of the seat.
Can you just ask her not to do that?
If she is in the harness,that kind of "scooching" is probably less bad than if she were in a booster, since that is how submarining and abdominal belt-riding happens..but in a harness..I'm not really sure what the consequences would be? Perhaps somone more knowledgable can chime in?

Jennifer mom to my 7

The 3 year old. I forgot to add her stats....41 inches, 40+ pounds, somewhere around a 16-17 inch torso. Those 2 (the 3 and 6 year old) seem to sit taller when in seats for some reason.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
The 3 year old. I forgot to add her stats....41 inches, 40+ pounds, somewhere around a 16-17 inch torso. Those 2 (the 3 and 6 year old) seem to sit taller when in seats for some reason.

wow! those are the exact stats of my 4.5 year old, who is actually a bit big for her age, so you are growing a ginormous 3 year old, LOL!!:D

My dd's thigh;s are longer than the depth of the nautilus, such that her knees are already out over the bend in the seat. i dont think she scooches, but now you have me concerned, LOL.....I might have to go check exactly how she sits. Is it that her legs hanging off bother her? DD has recently started to complain her legs hurt and I was thinking of rigging up a soft footrest out of a pool noodle for heror putting a stepstool for her legs to rest on, although i suppose it would be a projectile.
Can she cross her legs in the seat to be more comfortable? Does she say why she does it? Is she even aware?

Jennifer mom to my 7

I doubt she even knows. They (the 3 and 2 year old) fell asleep in the car on the way to the baby's well check, so they stayed in the car. When I came out she was like that. I think it is that her legs are a little shorter, so if she sits back all the way, they hit just under the knee, where she she most likely would want to just bend them all the way (I guessing kind of like an kid almost big enough to pass the 5 step test but not quite, kwim? which is why they end up slumping). I was wondering if the frontier would make it so her legs had a bit more support, so she wouldn't want to slump (of course that brings up other issues with leg injuries in a crash I would think). Anyway, just curious.

Joyofbirth

I notice that my dds both slouch a lot in the Nautilus and they never did this before. They both switched from Marathons. My dd1 told me it feels different on her back/bottom area. There's a space that doesn't touch all the way like the Marathon, IYKWIM. So I just have to make sure her bottom is back far enough.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
You could instruct her to cross her legs. She might sit up straighter if she was sitting "criss-cross applesauce." :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC