Question Can't register - help with choosing car seat

U

Unregistered

For some reason I can't register to post on car-seat.org, but I do need some help with finding a carseat for my son.

He's a pretty big guy for 3 years old (40 pounds and about 40 inches tall). Right now he's in a convertable carseat and only goes to 40 pounds, so we need to find something fairly quickly.

He also has mild autism and NO WAY could be in a booster. We need the 5 point harness for as long as possible. However, we want the seat to last as long as possible as well (turn into a booster once he's mature enough to handle it, which might happen sooner than we think, but he's no where near that now).

Money is a problem, but we might be able to get help through a grant. I am mostly looking at the Graco Nautalus and the Britax Frontier. Our problem is that I can't seem to find these carseats locally and really think I should put my son into one to make sure it will fit well! I did see a Graco Nautalus at Walmart, but it was strapped down on the shelf, so I couldn't get a good look at it. The straps were on the lowest setting as well, so couldn't even put him in the seat to try it out.

I know that the Regiant has been suggested as well, but I really want something that will convert to a booster.

Help? We have a Pontiac Montana Minivan and DO NOT have latch or the tether option (it's a 2000).

Thanks!

Shelly
shellyd@bryanskidneypage.org

ADS

P1ally

(Someone correct me if I'm wrong) The Nautilus sounds like a good choice.. The top slot on it is really high, and you'll be able to use the harness for a long time. Also, as far as tethering, you can probably get a tether point added for pretty cheap (I'll let someone else throw out a price range).

could you measure his torso height (sit him against a wall and measure the distance from his bottom to his shoulders)? that would give us a better idea of how well he'd fit a nautilus or frontier and how much growing room he'd have. Some kids tend to be taller in the torso and others are mostly leg.

U

Unregistered

I tried measuring from his bottom to shoulder while he was sitting and it's about 14 inches. Any advice based on this would be great!!!

Shelly

njkj

The Nauti might not work if he is a big boy because of the crotch depth. It did not work for us b/c of that so we ended up getting the frontier which we all LOVE.

Mama Jo

Within your guidelines the Nautilus and the Frontier would be your best options. The Nautilus is less expensive. It also has just slightly higher top harness slots. It's weight limit for harnessing is 65 lbs. The Frontier is a little pricier, but a little roomier, and converts to a really nice high back booster. Its weight limit for harnessing is 80 lbs., however, most kids won't make it to 80 lbs., as they will outgrow it by height before then. A lot of people have very strong opinions one way or the other about these 2 seats. But it seems pretty evenly divided, so it really is personal preference. I've had both... and like both... but my DD likes the Frontier a little better because she says it's more comfy.

I don't know what stores you have nearby, but Babies R Us usually carries both of these. If you can't find them to play with in any stores in your area, I'd suggest ordering one online with return shipping insurance in case you don't like it. And since you're on a tighter budget, I'd probably start with the Nautilus.

If you were somehow able to broaden the scope of your search, the Regent really would be a nice seat for you in this situation. It has higher top slots (20") than both the Nautilus and Frontier and will keep your kiddo harnessed longer than most other seats. If you are somehow able to get a grant or financial assistance, I would consider this seat... it's being discontinued, and the cover options are pretty limited, so if on the off-chance you do decide to consider this seat, I'd order it fairly quickly. It seems they will continue making it through this year, unless they run out of covers before then. Then you could get a nice dedicated booster after that. But it could easily get you another 4 years or so in a harness. So just something to consider...

Kat_Momof3

Since he has autism, he may be ready for a booster when he outgrows the harness, but he might not... so I'd get the Frontier simply because it goes tallest as a booster and I'm PRETTY sure Britax allows you to use the 86-Y/other special needs harnesses with their boosters.

that way, if he's not ready, you can buy another harness that will be used with the booster until he's too big to use it with a booster... and then he can use the booster alone or the harness alone... depending on his needs.

but if you can get money from another source to help with the cost... forget the Regent... go with it's bigger badder more-special needs brother... the ROOSEVELT... even taller top slots... extra supports... that thing will last the longest of all.
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=43218

U

Unregistered

Thanks so much everyone! I'll have to wait and see if the grant people will approve the carseat (they are already buying a stroller for bigger kids, which is about $450, but the grant is suppose to be for up to $1000, so we'll see - keep fingers crossed!).

I might have to try the ordering it and having the option to return it so I can see if he fits into it. We don't have a Babies R Us in the state and only one Toys R Us (140 miles away).

I heard that if you order online through Target you can return to the store??

Thanks!

Shelly

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC