How hard would you push to keep a 30 month old rf?

glockchick

I figured out why dd didn't have room for her legs when I installed her MA rf. Even after coming on here and asking, I apparently had a brain fart and installed it in the upright position. :eek:

I've since reinstalled it ff since she was miserable the whole trip.

Would fixing the recline give her substantially more room or should I not bother trying to reinstall again? It doesn't help that dh is adamantly against her rf-ing. Says he wouldn't be comfortable like that and he's not going to make her do it either. :rolleyes: She's 30 months today and 29ish lbs. Should I really fight him on this or is she 'safe enough' ff like he thinks.

ADS

Pixels

I guess your husband never sits in a recliner, then, because that's what RFing basically is.

My own kid, I would RF. A stranger's kid, I wouldn't fight. Only you are in your relationship with your husband. The two of you are the child's parents, so this is something the two of you need to work out one way or another.

Why not reinstall it RFing, and see how much room she has? That might give you an answer one way or the other.

glockchick

It's kind of a pain to install. :eek: But I will try it. :)

Her ankles were bent at a really weird angle in his defense. I tried crossing her legs and that didn't help. I also tried having her put them straight on the seat behind her and she didn't care for that either. I wish I'd just left her rear facing until now. Would have made things easier.

Splash

I wouldn't. I'd turn her, smile, and move on with life. For kids that are all for it, it's great. But the safety margin is not great enough, IMO, to put up a fight over it and make the child (and spouse) feel ignored or unvalued.

fyrfightermomma

If she is leggy, she might not have much more leg room RFing when put in recline mode in the Marathon. My own daughter I gave up on the MA at around 37 months, but it had been horrible way before then. She is super tall, but also super leggy. It just wouldn't work

I'd try it but I don't think you will gain much more room.

My child? Yes I would until age 3. Others? No, I wouldn't even mention it.

I hope you can figure something out

Nisha

I'd try it RF again and see if she can find a comfortable position. Don't judge how it looks, judge how comfortable it is because kids can sit in some strange positions and it doesn't bother them in the least!
At that age, I wouldn't force it, but if your DD isn't complaining, then do it. I'm hoping DS can last that long RF, he's 2 now and the MA doesn't give the best leg room RF.

I know where you're coming from - my DH isn't a fan of ERF because the thinks DS looks uncomfortable. DS hasn't complained and loves seeing everything that he does when RF, but I know the minute DS complains about being uncomfortable, DH is going to be pushing harder.

glockchick

It's reinstalled RF again. :) Only catch with that is that until I figure out a seat for my 4 year old, my 9 1/2 year old is back in the dang lap belt.

I need some kid free time to make sure a Nautilus will fit in the middle of the 3rd row and still allow room for kids on either side.

I'm trying to get them all in the seats I would prefer they be in if I knew I was going to be in an accident the next time we got in the car. I'm hoping that logic will work on dh too. ;)

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Glad to hear she's RF again! My DD is the same age and weight and honestly, I couldn't imagine her FF yet. DD's in a TF though and has plenty of room RF. 10 months ago I had the MA installed RF and there was more head bonking and less leg room in it than the TF for sure. But, even if I had a MA, I'd still keep her RF!

Is there any way you can move one of your harnessed seats into the position with the lap belt, at least for the time being until you get the rest of your seats worked out? You're getting me worried about your 9.5 year old!

glockchick

I can move the infant seat to the back and the Marathon to the center middle row if I take the seat out of the base every time and make sure the kid that sits back there is in before I put the baby in. It'll just be a pain to lift 35 lbs of kid and seat back there. But for sure doable for temporary.

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
I wouldn't. I'd turn her, smile, and move on with life. For kids that are all for it, it's great. But the safety margin is not great enough, IMO, to put up a fight over it and make the child (and spouse) feel ignored or unvalued.

:yeahthat: And pat yourself on the back for keeping her RF this long... :)

glockchick

She hasn't been rf-ing this long. :eek: Until a little while ago, I didn't realize anyone rf'd past age 2. She turned around 18 months. I'm trying to turn her back. I'll try to keep her rf until her seat expires in Aug, but I think I'll get a Nautilus for her then.

I tried the TF at Target yesterday and the crotch strap was too short. The belts dug into her thighs. She's got cute little chubby thighs.

I may be able to go to TRU tonight and try the Nautilus in my car with Abigail. That would solve a lot of problems.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I tried the TF at Target yesterday and the crotch strap was too short. The belts dug into her thighs. She's got cute little chubby thighs.
Mine has chubby thighs too (and is the same age and weight) and has room in her TF on the 1st crotch buckle position too! Was the infant padding removed from the seat? Was the crotch buckle set to teh 1st position? is your DD in diapers? Mine is out of diapers and that created a TON of room for her, she is still on the 1st position but I'll move it to the 2nd position soon.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
It's reinstalled RF again. :) Only catch with that is that until I figure out a seat for my 4 year old, my 9 1/2 year old is back in the dang lap belt.

Is putting the 2 yo RF causing the 9 yo to be in a lapbelt? What can you do to get that 9 yo OUT of that lapbelt?

glockchick

I can't put her 3rd row center rf, but I can ff. I need access to the driver's side 3rd row seat.

I can move the infant seat to the back and the Marathon to the center middle row if I take the infant seat out of the base every time and make sure the kid that sits back there is in before I put the baby in. It'll just be a pain to lift 35 lbs of kid and seat back there. But it is do-able for now. Unfortunately, that won't last long because he's about out of his infant seat.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Padding was removed, crotch buckle was furthest out, but she is still in diapers.
I'd bet it is the diapers then. Seriously, without diapers, my chubby thighed girl fits on the 1st position, even with her light snow pants. You have a MA anyway, so it's not like you need a new seat, but if you ever opt for a new seat, don't discount the TF yet, as once she's out of diapers, she'll have space!

glockchick

Yep. We're good until August. :) And then she'll be 3 and I'll be fine with turning her ff.

Right now it's the baby and my 4 1/2 year old that need seats.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I would rather even out the risk... a 2 yo is not at substantial injury risk FF, but a 9 yo IS at substantial injury risk from being in a lapbelt. I'd rearrange them any way possible to get that 9 yo into a lap/shoulderbelt, even if the 2 yo is marginally less safe being FF.

If I'm not understanding your set up, I'm sorry for the misunderstanding :eek:

glockchick

I think you've got it :)

If I can get Abigail a Nauti tonight, I can put her in the 3rd row center and she can stay in the 2nd row behind the driver.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC