Vancouver-area CRST Course - Input

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
We're not scheduling it YET, but I want to get some input.

Firstly, Car-seat.org members will have the option of volunteering at future course-end clinics rather than paying the fees. I will cover the SJA fee and there will be no tuition if you choose this option. If you choose not to commit to volunteering at future course-end clinics then as a Car-seat.org member you will pay just the SJA certification fee. I would appreciate any public service you feel compelled to do in "exchange" for having course tuition waived--That part is up to you and is really the nature of this field. As most of you already know, I make it a point to donate my time whenever feasible.

Secondly, I need some input on course scheduling. Three days straight is really tiring, but doable. This would be either a Th, F, Sat; F, Sat, Sun; or possibly during the week. The other alternative would be four evenings during the week and then the exam and a pre-clinic meeting on a Saturday or Sunday before the clinic.

Next--location. It's easiest for me to arrange a location in Delta or Surrey, although I might be open to other suggestions. A few of the options I have are: our school near 120/64, the Delta District Resource Centre in the Delta flats towards the tunnel along Ladner Trunk near 99, my kids' martial arts building at 120/64, an empty storefront a friend owns at 120/64, the commons room where we own some townhouses near 140/72...Other suggestions? The clinic would be booked accordingly, although I'm leaning towards doing the clinic at a firehall as my friend is married to a Delta fireman so it might be easier to arrange. Again--open to suggestions.

Finally--childcare. I'm comfortable with non-mobile breastfeeding infants being present, but would suggest this be at at your own judgment based on the baby's own personality. Otherwise we can figure something out for childcare if need be--if we run the course off school hours, then my 13 year old and 11 year old will be able to babysit. Otherwise I will figure something out if there's enough demand.

Obviously this will be our first time running the whole course (there will be two instructors, and possibly one or two other certified technicians on hand) and so we don't have a standard setup... but I'm open to suggestions, and would appreciate any questions you may have. We're very informal and fairly laid-back but it IS a lot of material so you'll need to come with your brains switched into the ON position.. :) Be warned, I TALK FAST! :) Heehee..

I'm out of the country for much of the next two months and will too busy to run the course until May. I think Victoria Day is the 18th, which gives us a three day option that might be work-friendly...otherwise, the week before and week after probably work well for me. At least this gives everyone some time to think about whether or not they're interested.

-Nicole.

ADS

bubbaray

Well, anywhere that is convenient for you Nicole, is gonna work just fine for me.

Scheduling is hard for me. I WOTH FT and my schedule for work is planned months in advance (IIRC, I'm being booked into December right now). Evenings or a long weekend are, therefore, best for me.

I'm fine with volunteering on weekends or nights after being certified.

Thanks for organizing this!

snowbird25ca

Well, anywhere that is convenient for you Nicole, is gonna work just fine for me.

Scheduling is hard for me. I WOTH FT and my schedule for work is planned months in advance (IIRC, I'm being booked into December right now). Evenings or a long weekend are, therefore, best for me.

I'm fine with volunteering on weekends or nights after being certified.

Thanks for organizing this!

WOW! That's a long time ahead to be booked - what kind of work do you do? (If you don't mind me asking. :eek:)

What time are you free starting in the evenings? Another possibility would be to do a couple evenings, a Saturday, and then clinic Sunday?

For anyone reading and not replying, go ahead and reply and throw out what works best for you. The more ideas we have about what does or doesn't work the easier it will be to plan. :thumbsup:

Alison's Mom

I would be interested and might be able to attend. I don't have any real preferences as to dates and times at the moment, but would depend on DH's workload / work schedule, which I have no real way of knowing this far in advance. As for location, we're in Vancouver, but can drive to wherever. . . just keep me posted - thanks!

ben&jakesmum

Just checking back to this board to see if you had updated about this :)

I am very interested and am flexible on days and locations. I am in Surrey so of course I would be very happy with a Surrey/Delta location.

Jaime

Misty-Bug

I am fine for location.

I am really thinking that the three days may be better. It would depend on the dates and what time you want to start the class. I can probably get my MIL to take my son Thursday and Friday and my daycare parents can find care for him on Thursday. If we do evenings the problem is that Phil gets home late, at 7 on his late shifts. I do like the idea of a Friday/Saturday/ Sunday. That may be easier to swing. Even though I will miss church for the clinic.

you know I will volunteer to help out at clinics if I can. It again all depends on schedule. I want this really bad so I will make whatever your days are work. (I HOPE!)

I am sooo excited

javabeanz

CPS Technician
I have been checking the board for this and I am happy to see some discussion of one for the lower mainland. I am flexible on days and location within the lower mainland and would be interested in volunteering at clinics in the future.

April

A Friday, Saturday, Sunday would be best for me, or the evening setup. There is no possible way I can do it in June. (Crazy project, working 15 hour days 7 days a week). So it would have to be May for me. The sooner, the better.

Nicole, just a heads up, I may have two or three friends interested in joing us. Childcare is not an issue for me, I have a great DH.:love:

I'm not picky about location. It seems no matter where you are these days you run the risk of getting shot, so why not Surrey? :rolleyes:

atthehip

I am definitely interested as I've been really wanting to get certified...my only issue will be my bfing infant who by then may well be toddling. If she is able to stay with dh by then and he has the time off, it should not be an issue...otherwise I might have to wait until the next one. :(

How long are each of the days? Delta/Surrey is definitely our preferred location as we are in N.Delta. I'd really love to be able to volunteer in the future.

QuassEE

The days are pretty much full days... It is looking like Fri-Sun is our best option, so it would be like this:
Friday - full day
Saturday - full day
Sunday - pre-clinic meeting and/or test in the am
clinic in the pm

Something along those lines...If the test happens on the Saturday, it means the Sunday is really 1/2 a day.

Location isn't going to be a problem--definitely Delta/Surrey. I'm just working on funding the course at the moment. :)

-Nicole.

shauburg

I'm really wanting to go to Vancouver sometime in the next few months for an extended long weekend or even a full week to visit family. Keep me posted on your final plans and I can try to schedule my trip to coincide. I could help with the clinic and/or course and would love to meet everyone IRL!!!

snowbird25ca

I'm really wanting to go to Vancouver sometime in the next few months for an extended long weekend or even a full week to visit family. Keep me posted on your final plans and I can try to schedule my trip to coincide. I could help with the clinic and/or course and would love to meet everyone IRL!!!

That would be awesome Shauna! It would be wonderful to have you there as an extra helping hand. :D

April

I assume from your post that you have family you could stay with, but just in case, let us know if you need accomodation. (You too Trudy - we have lots of room).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC