Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Question I need to replace my lower anchors...

Sooo I looked at my latch anchors today, and they have a little bit of rust on them. No FREAKING way. Anyways, I reinstalled with the seatbelt for now, and want to replace the anchors. I have a 2004 Chevy Malibu. I can find top tethers no problem, but the actual anchor, no. I called a Chevy dealer today, and they had no clue. They thought I wanted to retrofit my car, but I kept trying to explain I already had it.. Anyone know where I can find them? Or perhaps a part number? I'm at a loss...

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: I need to replace my lower anchors...

I am under the impression that lower anchors are not replaceable.

If you are concerned about the amount of rust and feel that it has damaged the integrity of the anchors, you will need to install with the seatbelt.

How much rust is on them?
    DD1--4/6/2006--Britax Parkway SGL
    DD2--12/9/2012--Britax Advocate and Marathon

Quote Originally Posted by BW1426 View Post
    I am under the impression that lower anchors are not replaceable.

If you are concerned about the amount of rust and feel that it has damaged the integrity of the anchors, you will need to install with the seatbelt.

How much rust is on them?
    Just a little on the outside, but it makes me really nervous. They must be replaceable... Unlike Recaro harnesses lol...

Quote Originally Posted by P1ally View Post
    Just a little on the outside, but it makes me really nervous. They must be replaceable... Unlike Recaro harnesses lol...
    I honestly am not sure how they would be replaceable as they're welded to the frame of the car. If it makes you uncomfortable, you need to use the seatbelt.
    DD1--4/6/2006--Britax Parkway SGL
    DD2--12/9/2012--Britax Advocate and Marathon

I agree, you need to use the seatbelt. The anchors are not replaceable.
    Rebekah Branch, CPST from May 2005 until June 2011
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    "That which you create in beauty and goodness and truth lives on."
    - Denis Waitley

Quote Originally Posted by skaterbabscpst View Post
    I agree, you need to use the seatbelt. The anchors are not replaceable.
    I already reinstalled it with the seatbelt.

And I really do believe they are replaceable because I pulled my whole back seat apart, and they're bolted down, not welded. They're all attached to a bar that runs behind the back seat, not bolted individually.

CPST Instructor

Unfortunately no vehicle manufacture will replace or retrofit lower anchors. They won't take on that liability.

You could call GM customer service (# is located in your owners manual) and see what they say but your answer will most likely still be no.
    Jenny
    Senior CPS Tech-Instructor & Mommy of 2 girls
    K1 12 yrs old- 61" & 100lbs in vehicle seat belt
    K2 10 yrs old- 59" & 92lbs in vehicle seat belt

CPS Technician

That is scary. Perhaps some photos and a letter to NHTSA would be in order. If manufacturers are using materials that are degrading in 5 years, and the car wasn't flooded, they need to know.

Do you have concerns about continuing to use the seatbelt to install the seat? LATCH isn't any safer than a seatbelt (unless you can NOT get a good seatbelt installation). Both are safe. LATCH is just supposed to be easier, but that is not always the case. Lower anchors have weight limits (Chevy's is 48lbs), so eventually you would have to use the seatbelt to install the seat anyway.

I agree though that it's strange to find rust on the lower anchors, but if you can't replace them I wouldn't be too concerned as long as your seatbelts function properly.
    Jenny
    CPST and mommy to
    Jessica 6.18.06 and Tyler 8.5.08
    Both riding in Frontier 85s

The anchors are bolted to the frame of the vehicle not welded. The people at Ford told me that. The one question I have is if they are bolted to the frame, why they have such a low weight limit? There are no limits for seat belts but there is a weight limit for something bolted to the frame of a vehicle? The people at Ford thought the same thing.

They have a low limit because there is no requirement that they have a higher one. When the LATCH standard was written there really weren't all that many seats that went past 40 lbs anyway - only Britax.
    Rebekah Branch, CPST from May 2005 until June 2011
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    "That which you create in beauty and goodness and truth lives on."
    - Denis Waitley

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Here's an interesting technical discussion we had with a LATCH expert that might shed more light on the weight limit issue... http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=11221
    And maybe file a complaint with NHTSA about your bars rusting... http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Well DH thinks I have overreacted (whats new) and says it's extremely minor rust. (It's only on the outboard ones, and we only use the center) I mean I could practically scrub it off with a sponge, it's so minor. Anyways, he says we can sand it really really lightly, and I'll be fine.

I don't like using the seatbelt with my safeguard because I find it really difficult to get a perfect install. Plus it has that amazing auto racheting latch! I'm spoiled now.. I also think it'll take ds a long time to max out the 48lb limit on the anchors..

Thanks for your answers everyone

CPST Instructor

Could you have possibly lost one of the floor pan plugs allowing water from the road to come in contact with the metal? Is there signs of rust anywhere else on the vehicle in that general area since you said you removed the seats.
    Jenny
    Senior CPS Tech-Instructor & Mommy of 2 girls
    K1 12 yrs old- 61" & 100lbs in vehicle seat belt
    K2 10 yrs old- 59" & 92lbs in vehicle seat belt

Quote Originally Posted by jen_nah View Post
    Could you have possibly lost one of the floor pan plugs allowing water from the road to come in contact with the metal? Is there signs of rust anywhere else on the vehicle in that general area since you said you removed the seats.
    Yeah unfortunately there is rust elsewhere. I just bought the car last May, and we discovered rust in the car about 4 months later.. Under the seats (on the frame of the seat), behind the stereo a little bit, and other small places. Nothing on the frame, but DH thinks (and I agree) that the car was in a minor flood. There was also a little mold on the seatbelts. Oddly enough, it has a totally clean title, and the vin checks out (I guess). Anyways, it's really really minor rust. Apparently there's nothing we can do but yell at the dealership that sold me the car.. (They refused to take it back, and I can't afford to take them to court..)

So yeah.. I WISH it was a plug

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

You might be covered under CA's excellent lemon law. Keep filing complaints every time you find something wrong and if you find enough things wrong they're going to replace your car (or they're in for it.)
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!