I need to replace my lower anchors...

P1ally

Sooo I looked at my latch anchors today, and they have a little bit of rust on them. No FREAKING way. Anyways, I reinstalled with the seatbelt for now, and want to replace the anchors. I have a 2004 Chevy Malibu. I can find top tethers no problem, but the actual anchor, no. I called a Chevy dealer today, and they had no clue. They thought I wanted to retrofit my car, but I kept trying to explain I already had it.. Anyone know where I can find them? Or perhaps a part number? I'm at a loss...

ADS

BW1426

I am under the impression that lower anchors are not replaceable.

If you are concerned about the amount of rust and feel that it has damaged the integrity of the anchors, you will need to install with the seatbelt.

How much rust is on them?

P1ally

I am under the impression that lower anchors are not replaceable.

If you are concerned about the amount of rust and feel that it has damaged the integrity of the anchors, you will need to install with the seatbelt.

How much rust is on them?

Just a little on the outside, but it makes me really nervous. They must be replaceable... Unlike Recaro harnesses lol...

BW1426

Just a little on the outside, but it makes me really nervous. They must be replaceable... Unlike Recaro harnesses lol...

I honestly am not sure how they would be replaceable as they're welded to the frame of the car. If it makes you uncomfortable, you need to use the seatbelt.

P1ally

I agree, you need to use the seatbelt. The anchors are not replaceable.

I already reinstalled it with the seatbelt.

And I really do believe they are replaceable because I pulled my whole back seat apart, and they're bolted down, not welded. They're all attached to a bar that runs behind the back seat, not bolted individually.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Unfortunately no vehicle manufacture will replace or retrofit lower anchors. They won't take on that liability.

You could call GM customer service (# is located in your owners manual) and see what they say but your answer will most likely still be no.

Jenifer

That is scary. Perhaps some photos and a letter to NHTSA would be in order. If manufacturers are using materials that are degrading in 5 years, and the car wasn't flooded, they need to know.

Mommy0608

Do you have concerns about continuing to use the seatbelt to install the seat? LATCH isn't any safer than a seatbelt (unless you can NOT get a good seatbelt installation). Both are safe. LATCH is just supposed to be easier, but that is not always the case. Lower anchors have weight limits (Chevy's is 48lbs), so eventually you would have to use the seatbelt to install the seat anyway.

I agree though that it's strange to find rust on the lower anchors, but if you can't replace them I wouldn't be too concerned as long as your seatbelts function properly. :twocents:

mommyx4

The anchors are bolted to the frame of the vehicle not welded. The people at Ford told me that. The one question I have is if they are bolted to the frame, why they have such a low weight limit? There are no limits for seat belts but there is a weight limit for something bolted to the frame of a vehicle? The people at Ford thought the same thing.

skaterbabs

They have a low limit because there is no requirement that they have a higher one. When the LATCH standard was written there really weren't all that many seats that went past 40 lbs anyway - only Britax.

P1ally

Well DH thinks I have overreacted (whats new) and says it's extremely minor rust. (It's only on the outboard ones, and we only use the center) I mean I could practically scrub it off with a sponge, it's so minor. Anyways, he says we can sand it really really lightly, and I'll be fine.

I don't like using the seatbelt with my safeguard because I find it really difficult to get a perfect install. Plus it has that amazing auto racheting latch! I'm spoiled now..:whistle: I also think it'll take ds a long time to max out the 48lb limit on the anchors..

Thanks for your answers everyone :)

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Could you have possibly lost one of the floor pan plugs allowing water from the road to come in contact with the metal? Is there signs of rust anywhere else on the vehicle in that general area since you said you removed the seats.

P1ally

Could you have possibly lost one of the floor pan plugs allowing water from the road to come in contact with the metal? Is there signs of rust anywhere else on the vehicle in that general area since you said you removed the seats.

Yeah unfortunately there is rust elsewhere. I just bought the car last May, and we discovered rust in the car about 4 months later.. Under the seats (on the frame of the seat), behind the stereo a little bit, and other small places. Nothing on the frame, but DH thinks (and I agree) that the car was in a minor flood. There was also a little mold on the seatbelts. Oddly enough, it has a totally clean title, and the vin checks out (I guess). Anyways, it's really really minor rust. Apparently there's nothing we can do but yell at the dealership that sold me the car.. (They refused to take it back, and I can't afford to take them to court..):mad:

So yeah.. I WISH it was a plug :(

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
You might be covered under CA's excellent lemon law. Keep filing complaints every time you find something wrong and if you find enough things wrong they're going to replace your car (or they're in for it.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC