Those with a new Radian

Pixels

Anyone else have this problem? Two of the anti-skid strips have partially pulled out of the bottom of the seat. The same one on each side. I can't get it back in because the tab part just mushrooms when I try to push in in through the slot. A picture is worth a thousand words so here it is:
picture.php
picture.php

I'm going to email SKJP about this too and see what they say. It's Sept 08 DOM so definitely still under warranty. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this happen.

ADS

jsta1005

I have had this happen. One of almost all of the rubbery parts have come off. I glued some back on and currently have painters tape holding another one down. I would be perfectly happy without them even on the seat. Is that how the old ones were?

But I'm curious to know what SK says. so please post back!

Pixels

Radians with DOM of Aug 08 and earlier had no anti-skid strips. Sept 08 and later have them.

Here is the response I got less than two hours after I emailed:
[FONT=&quot]Thanks for your email. That’s odd about the strips that should not happen – thanks for the pics. What is the DOM of your RadianXT? Let me ask and get you the answer about the easiest way to ‘pop’ the strips back in.[/FONT]
I clarified that I have a 65, not an XT, and gave him some more info. I'll post back when he gives me a final answer of some sort.

Anyone else have this happen? If it's a widespread thing, they need to know about it so that they can fix it.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Gypsy's XT did the same thing that first night we were playing around with it. I'm not sure if she got it back in or not - I forget. I seem to recall talking to her about it at the time that jabbing it with something small and blunt (like a pencil eraser) might get it back in.

Pixels

Russ did confirm that there is no difference in crash testing with the strips (or without), so it's not a safety concern. He still hasn't given me an answer with how to fix it.

Pixels

Just an update, no response yet from Russ on how to remedy this. I sent another email this morning to remind him about it.

Pixels

Response to today's email:
Melissa,

Not sure what may have happened with your particular seat – still looking.

But in the meantime, I have a solution: glue pen (wicked strong stuff, easy applicator pen)

What is your address, and I will have one sent to you.

Best regards,

Russ Berger

jsta1005

so he is sending you a glue pen? Let us know if it works... I don't know if that is actually worth the hassle. I might just pull the rubbery strips off!

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
He is sending you a glue pen? Seriously?

I think that's the funniest customer service "solution" I have ever heard on here! :ROTFLMAO:

obamamama

LOL, have fun with your new toy-- courtesy of SKJP.

I took my strips off the 2nd time they fell off. Good to know they're not necessary per Russ' email.

Pixels

Radian surgery

The glue pen came in Saturday's mail, which I brought in the house Sunday. Today I brought the Radian in and did its surgery. The entire procedure took 40 minutes. I was taking my time and taking photos, so it shouldn't take that long normally.

Sorry about the photos. My cell phone, which is all I have available, apparently thinks the carpet is where it should focus, and that my hand is made of plastic. :confused:

I think the reason (at least a largely contributing factor) it pulled out is because when folded, the anti-skid strip extends a fair ways beyond the plastic shell. What I think happened is that I folded the carseat in the vehicle, secured it using the red strap, then, holding it by the red strap with the red strap facing down, pulled the carseat out of the car. The anti-skid strip dragged across the fabric of the vehicle seat and pulled out.
picture.php
picture.php

Because the anti-skid strip has been flapping in the breeze since it pulled out, and I have been moving the seat around a fair bit in the past week or so, it pulled out more while I was waiting for the glue. The one on the child's right side pulled out the tab and one of the two mushroom-shaped things that holds it in. The one on the right still looked like it did in the earlier photos, with just the tab pulled out.

All photos are of the one on the right.

Before surgery, with the old glue still on it:
picture.php

I used a small flat-head screwdriver to get the mushroom-shaped thing back in its hole. I tried for quite a while with a variety of tools to get the tab back in, but there was no way it was going. I ended up cutting off the tab. I also rubbed off the old glue remains.
picture.php

I also cut off the part that extends past the plastic shell. Then I got a bit creative, and used the RFing foot to hold the strip in place while the glue dried.
picture.php

I'll post back if (dare I say "when"?) the glue lets go. Oh, the glue is Locktite brand Superbonder. Smells exactly like Krazy Glue.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC