what do you do in a bus?

melaniev

for our trip to FL and bahamian cruise, besides the ship all travel was in a minibus in which there were not only no carseats but no seatbelts. we traveled in a group of 19 and this is what the hired transportation service used.

what do you do when there is no seatbelt available? i dont normally travel by citybus anymore since i have a car and never really did with my kids, but that could very well be an option/necessity at some point in the future and of course they dont usually have belts either.

trip is over now, and I had the baby (4yrs, 38lb, 43", in a britax regent in my car) ride as close to the middle as i could with someone next to her to remind her to sit but it really didnt feel very safe to me. i know the seat in front of you and the mere size of the bus are considered to be advantages but i was wondering if there are other options?

ADS

skaterbabs

Not here - not if you want to keep your wallet. Besides, compartmentalization is not effective for very small children.

LEAW

Eh, I used to ride the city bus all the time before kid... and the families would often drag an entire stroller on with kids in it... until the bus got too full and the driver would make them fold it up... so what do you do as one adult with a preschooler, toddler, and infant? Put them in regular seats and tell them to sit still. Was scary.

I have had to take city bus twice with my dd, and both times I kept her tightly lashed to my body in a sling, and I was in a seat. We've also used airport shuttles, and one trip she made on my lap, the other in a sling on dh's back. Not exactly the safest thing ever.

Dillipop

My husband works for our local bus company and as such has the perk of just using his ID to get on any bus in the city/state. (We live in Rhode Island, so the state is as small as some large cities!) On weekends, he takes DS on the bus as a treat. He is 3 and very well behaved. They find a seat and DS sits next to DH.

Mass transit is safer than traveling in a car, I think. Buses are so big, cars just move out of the way. It is much more probable to be in an accident in a car than on a bus. In the past year, DH has only come home with 1 story of a bus being in an accident and it was at the bus station, so very slow moving. No injuries. And he would hear about them, since he is in the accounting dept and has to approve any spending to fix a bus.

melaniev

Dillipop said:
Mass transit is safer than traveling in a car, I think. Buses are so big, cars just move out of the way. It is much more probable to be in an accident in a car than on a bus. In the past year, DH has only come home with 1 story of a bus being in an accident and it was at the bus station, so very slow moving. No injuries. And he would hear about them, since he is in the accounting dept and has to approve any spending to fix a bus.

that's exactly what i was thinking. thanks! :)

skaterbabs

Buses here have accidents fairly often - usually idiots who cut off the bus driver, but often the bus drivers will shove smaller cars out of the way.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC