Would your RF over 35lbs if you could?

twinsmom

Just curious: if money were not an obstacle, and you could aquire a 55lb RF Swedish seat, would you use it if your child child is now FF past the US 35lb limit?

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
My daughter was 35 pounds somewhere around her fourth birthday, IIRC. I would not use an illegal seat to keep her RF at that age. If she was under, say, 18 months, I'd consider it.

If there was a legal 55-pound seat... I don't know. She's almost seven and I'm considering putting her in a booster because she likes it better, even though she could still be harnessed. I'd probably give her the same consideration about FF at age four.

mom23boys

I would have with all of our boys as they were all foward faced much to soon as they were all very big. For example DS1 weighed 31 lbs at age 1:eek:.
All of them were always off the chart in height and weight.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yes. Leah's 35 lbs now right at 3, and I'd rather have her RF for another year or so in our main car.

xxluckychicxx

Absolutely DS is only 2.5 but already 34lbs and weighing him every morning just isnt an option for me. But if we had a higher RFing limit he would definately be RFing.

Blondie87

Yeah I definately would have one. I don't have any kids that would need it right now.. but I could. For a few days I got a foster boy who was 2 years old and 47 lbs! He was the size of a 4/5 year old, but still only 2..

ETA- But it would have to be legal cuz I can't use illegal seats with my foster kids...

Last edited:

christineka

If my child were under age 3, 35 pounds, and the larger rfing seat was legal, yes I would.

If my under 2 year old reached 35 pounds, I would import an illegal seat.

So far, though my current rfiing children should outgrow rfing in US seats at ages 5.5 and 4, so I would not be buying any other seats to rf them longer. I do have two older children who would have outgrown rfing at age 3. (I didn't know anything about rfing beyond 1 and 20 pounds then.)

Pixels

Not for DD. She won't be 35 pounds until age 6 at the rate she is growing. I'll consider her feelings at age 4, and turn her when she enters Kindergarten.

For a different child who was 35 pounds under 18-24 months, yes, illegally. For a child under age 3 or so, yes, if it was legal. If the child had medical problems that meant FFing was not as safe for that particular child, I'd do it at higher ages.

Amaris

Probably. 35lbs would have gotten I to almost 4 years old rf'ing. I don't remember when M hit 35lbs, we turned him long before we knew about erf. I'm hoping K will make it to 3 rf'ing, but right now her torso length is more of a concern for me than weight (I keep debating whether or not she's even with the 3rd slots in the ma or just below them). If a 55lb seat had a much taller shell than a marathon I would probably buy one, if it were legal.

AtTheSouthDam

Depnding on the age of the child. If DD2 was growing at the rate of dd1 I would seriously be considering getting one now. DD1 hit 35 lbs at 2.5 yrs. But DD2 will hit 35 lbs around her 4th birthday and I am comfortable with that.
So if the child hit 35 lbs before 3 yrs then yes, but not for an older child. I would bump up to 4 yrs if they were legal and affordable ($250 or less) here.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Only if it were legal or through legally petitioning NHTSA channels, and if I could acquire a seat that was truly compatible behind the front seats in either of our vehicles which prohibit touching the seatbacks due to the advanced frontal airbag sensors. At least one of the higher weight limit EU ERFing seats requires bracing against the front seatback and is thus incompatible with our current cars.

skipspin

I would consider it with an illegal seat unless the child was under 2. Under 1 and over 35#s, for sure! Not that I wouldn't be tempted otherwise....

If a US seat comes available that RFs past 35#s then it would be a serious consideration. DD would love to sit RFing again.

mommaon112903

If there was one, I would not RF to 55lbs, but I would like the option to RF longer than 35lbs because of the shell height and different rules for swedish seats.

Josef did not reach and stay at 35lbs until he started K4 this past August. I would have liked to RF him until 35lbs but there was no way Mr Torso was going to let that happen, lol. I would have liked to RF to this past summer, age 4.6yrs, hovering around 33lbs but using the third slot in his Regent.

If it were legal? As in designed for the US market cars? Sure. At least til age 5 or 6. Then, I'd see how badly my kid wants to go FF. If he doesn't care, he'll sit RF for as long as he fits.

Splash

No. It wouldn't fit in my vehicle and while I could make it through the manual if it's close enough to German, I'd rather not guess at the instructions.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC