Want to see something scary?

***WARNING THEY WILL NOT EVER RIDE LIKE THIS*****

We were at the chicago Auto Show and we tried out all the vehicles, lol.

My husband fell in love with this truck-Colorodo Avalanche extended cab(lol, never can afford it).

Look at the fit on this truck.

Logan-14.5 inch torso, 41 inches, 32 pounds, 4 years old
n822470510_5897191_8302.jpg

Feet perfect on the ground (belt fit was over his thighs)
n822470510_5897192_8577.jpg

Michael-6 years 3 months, 49 inches, 50 pounds
(Fit was perfect with the shoulder adjuster)-he took it off before the picture
n822470510_5897193_8843.jpg

ADS

Pixels

I don't trust those shoulder strap adjuster things to hold during a crash. They're really nothing more than a bit of elastic. I'll use them for comfort (I can't stand the belt touching my neck skin even slightly) but not to make it fit properly.

I don't trust those shoulder strap adjuster things to hold during a crash. They're really nothing more than a bit of elastic. I'll use them for comfort (I can't stand the belt touching my neck skin even slightly) but not to make it fit properly.

Oh no, I don't trust them either. The sales rep guy there said they were there so that kids didn't have to use boosters :rolleyes::eek:

The Bjorns

The sales rep guy there said they were there so that kids didn't have to use boosters
Having been a sales rep for a car company...NEVER EVER trust anything a sales person tells you about anything (okay, about most things) relating to kids and safety. They are just clueless. When I was shopping for my car I made sure I brought along my seat (only 1 at the time) to test and the advice I got was insane. One guy just couldn't believe I would want my single seat in the center when there were two perfectly good outboard positions available.:confused: Crazy mom! And one couldn't understand that the center tether location at the opening of the rear hatch (SUV) would really make it hard to put groceries in, let along a stroller! Couldn't I just tether it some place else if I really wanted to do that? :eek:

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus

They're not supposed to hold during a crash. They are a pre-crash positioner just like the belt guides on HBBs or the strap-style positioners that come with backless boosters. By the time they break, they've already done their job, which is keep the seat belt positioned properly until the retractor locks.

I'd actually be okay with the 6-year-old riding like that. Yes, even if it were MY six-year-old. Probably not for every day - I wouldn't want the child getting the idea that they could ride without a booster in every vehicle - but for occasional use, it's just as safe as a booster as long as the child passes the 5-Step test.

They're not supposed to hold during a crash. They are a pre-crash positioner just like the belt guides on HBBs or the strap-style positioners that come with backless boosters. By the time they break, they've already done their job, which is keep the seat belt positioned properly until the retractor locks.

I'd actually be okay with the 6-year-old riding like that. Yes, even if it were MY six-year-old. Probably not for every day - I wouldn't want the child getting the idea that they could ride without a booster in every vehicle - but for occasional use, it's just as safe as a booster as long as the child passes the 5-Step test.

Debbie,
I was hoping you would respond, I value your opinion.

I was wondering if we did get a truck like this, what we would put Michael in?
For Logan I would do a Graco Cargo/Chase(if we got it in the next 6 months).
After that I would say a booster, I don't see the nautilus fitting in it right.

Michael though I was wondering about. The fit seemed like he didn't need a booster, but I was confused. I was blown away how good kids fit in this vehicle(it even had latch). So, would a high back booster or no back booster be pointless in this vehicle for him?

If we got a truck like this, it would be for my husband's vehicle only and in the past 2 years my husband had his beater car, the boys have never had to drive in it.

Maedze

I would still keep him in a booster. A booster with good head wings will provide SIP, and the armrests help keep the lapbelt in place, which is important for an undeveloped iliac crest.

Pixels

I would still keep him in a booster. A booster with good head wings will provide SIP, and the armrests help keep the lapbelt in place, which is important for an undeveloped iliac crest.
I'd do a backless, but not a highback unless it was necessary. It's an extended cab, not a crew cab. There's not as much room for knee/head excursion, and I wouldn't want to use up a couple of those precious inches with a carseat behind his back. In fact, some trucks don't allow carseats in the extended cab at all for that reason. Some carseats aren't allowed (by carseat manuf.) in extended cabs, either.

Maedze

Based on the photograph, I believe a highback would be necessary. Her DS's ears appear to be right *at* the top of the back of the seat. If he were in a booster they most certainly would be over.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I was wondering if we did get a truck like this, what we would put Michael in?
For Logan I would do a Graco Cargo/Chase(if we got it in the next 6 months).
After that I would say a booster, I don't see the nautilus fitting in it right.

Well, that's the trouble with these trucks - not much fits very well in them. Logan should obviously still be harnessed, but I'm not sure any of the really HWH seats would fit. Most likely the Radian and Marathon, but those won't last as long, yk? The Cargo/Chase would probably work as well, if he could get to booster-age in it.

Michael though I was wondering about. The fit seemed like he didn't need a booster, but I was confused. I was blown away how good kids fit in this vehicle(it even had latch). So, would a high back booster or no back booster be pointless in this vehicle for him?

I definitely don't think it would be pointless (for the reasons Maedze already posted), but you'd have to try out different boosters to see which ones fit the best. At the same time, if I couldn't find a booster that made the belt fit better (and not worse) I wouldn't sweat it too much for a secondary vehicle.

Thanks. Logan could get to probally 5/40 pounds in a cargo the way he grows.
We were just looking at different vehicles. This one dh just loved, but out of our price range big time.
We are most likely going to get a smaller truck, cobalt, cavalier, malibu....

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC