good booster for 6 yr old

borntraci

I need a new booster for my 6 yr old. We bought it 4-1/2 yrs ago when we were transporting my neice around and we just eventually put him in it. But I really think he would be better off in a different booster. He's really tall (57") and I'm not sure his torso height but for camparison purposes I put him in DD's nautilus and his shoulders were above the shoulder belt positioner in its highest position by about 1/2 and inch- 1 inch. He's also VERY slender. He is currently in a turbo booster. He does still need a booster and I want to keep him in one. I don't want to spend ALOT of money on a new booster because he is so close to passing the 5 step test (about 1 inch more on the legs and he fits great in our backseat, knees bent over, butt all the way back, sits up straight, everything but the feet flat on the floor, which are about an inch, if that from being flat. Any suggestions for a good booster for him? If we could find one with a back still I'd be thrilled (DH wouldn't but he's left carseat choices to me).

ADS

Mama Jo

If he's *very* slender, he likely would do well to be in a high back booster (HBB) for as long as he can fit in one. You could very well get a few years of use out of a good HBB, if you wish to do so. The Vivo fits slender kids well, and I hear the Monterey does as well, as its sides are adjustable. The Vivo is less expensive than the Monterey. What exactly is your budget?

borntraci

I am willing to spend whatever I NEED to, but we don't have a lot of money right now since we recently lost my income. The problem we repetitively have run into with car seats and him is that he is always too tall too soon, and that has been the problem with a HBB, I can't find one he isn't too tall for.

musicmaj

I think that if your child is above the shoulder belt positioner in the nauti that he will be above the positioner in a turbo or air booster too. How much room does he have in his turbo?

At this point I believe you will want a tall high back booster and your options would include a vivo and monterey. The other brand boosters are probably not tall enough.

abacus2

Since you have another child who would get use out of it after he outgrows it, I would get a Vivo. Once he is too tall for the Vivo, he can use the Turbo backless again.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Are you positive on his height? 57 inches is 4 foot 9 inches tall, and most kids will fit in almost all cars by that height.(although they may or may not be able to pass the 5th step---stays in position for the entire ride) That woud be a REALLY tall 6 yo. My nephew is 9.5yrs wears a men's size small shirt, and is only 4'8".

If he really is that tall, you may even want to consider the Frontier, which is tall enough for 5'5" me, to be sure to get him to an age where he doesn't need a booster at all.

borntraci

He is 4'9", I am positive on this one. He stands almost to my shoulders. HIs torso height (I just measured) is 22 inches. yet no matter what seat I've tried in our van he does not pass the 5 step test. He's been in a no back booster for a year now and I do not like the no back boosters too much. he's great at sitting properly and in my dads car he fits great without a booster, but in our van he doesn't.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
He is 4'9", I am positive on this one. He stands almost to my shoulders. HIs torso height (I just measured) is 22 inches. yet no matter what seat I've tried in our van he does not pass the 5 step test. He's been in a no back booster for a year now and I do not like the no back boosters too much. he's great at sitting properly and in my dads car he fits great without a booster, but in our van he doesn't.

With a 22" torso he is almost too tall for the Monterey. That leaves you with the Britax Frontier and the Recaro Start ( just barely) for high back booster options.

borntraci

so basically my choices for a high back are extremely limited and won't last very long. Would it be safe to have him in a no back booster? And if so, what would be the best. He never sleeps in the car and sits properly everytime. Gr, why does he have to be so tall.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If he doesn't sleep in the car, has outgrown most high-backed boosters, and still needs a booster to pass the test, then, yeah, I'd say a low-backed booster is an appropriate option. I feel your pain on the tall, long-torsoed kids, believe me. I'd try different LBBs in the store to see what fits his legs comfortably if you can. And you will need to check the positioning of the shoulder belt as well, many come with a shoulder belt guide that can help you get appropriate fit.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC