Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

good booster for 6 yr old

I need a new booster for my 6 yr old. We bought it 4-1/2 yrs ago when we were transporting my neice around and we just eventually put him in it. But I really think he would be better off in a different booster. He's really tall (57") and I'm not sure his torso height but for camparison purposes I put him in DD's nautilus and his shoulders were above the shoulder belt positioner in its highest position by about 1/2 and inch- 1 inch. He's also VERY slender. He is currently in a turbo booster. He does still need a booster and I want to keep him in one. I don't want to spend ALOT of money on a new booster because he is so close to passing the 5 step test (about 1 inch more on the legs and he fits great in our backseat, knees bent over, butt all the way back, sits up straight, everything but the feet flat on the floor, which are about an inch, if that from being flat. Any suggestions for a good booster for him? If we could find one with a back still I'd be thrilled (DH wouldn't but he's left carseat choices to me).
    Traci
    DS- 10 yrs, 5'6", 93 lbs Adult belt (passes 5 step)
    DD- 6 yrs, 4', 53 lbs HBB Graco Turbo Booster
    DS- 4 yrs, 3'4", 40.8 lbs FF Graco Nautilus and EFTA

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member Mama Jo's Avatar

Re: good booster for 6 yr old

If he's *very* slender, he likely would do well to be in a high back booster (HBB) for as long as he can fit in one. You could very well get a few years of use out of a good HBB, if you wish to do so. The Vivo fits slender kids well, and I hear the Monterey does as well, as its sides are adjustable. The Vivo is less expensive than the Monterey. What exactly is your budget?
    Mama to
    DD - 9 yrs. - FN booster, Vivo
    DS - 4 yrs. RNXT, RA50

I am willing to spend whatever I NEED to, but we don't have a lot of money right now since we recently lost my income. The problem we repetitively have run into with car seats and him is that he is always too tall too soon, and that has been the problem with a HBB, I can't find one he isn't too tall for.
    Traci

Carseat Crazy Thanksgiving_Twins_Mom's Avatar

feel like I'm saying this a lot lately...
    One good moderately priced option you could try is the Graco Air Booster - just got one for my long-legged 7YO DD last week at Big Lots for $55 - it's deeper and taller than the Turbo Booster
    this link has a good photo comparison of how an older child fits in several different boosters including the Air Booster:
    http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/Boosterfit.aspx
    Elaine
    Mom to Lydia & Deborah (both 5-stepped and almost as tall as mom) 15YO
    and comfy chair to Lily Cat (no car seats but will use a kitty harness for walks)

I think that if your child is above the shoulder belt positioner in the nauti that he will be above the positioner in a turbo or air booster too. How much room does he have in his turbo?

At this point I believe you will want a tall high back booster and your options would include a vivo and monterey. The other brand boosters are probably not tall enough.
    Angie mama to R 4 years, 33 lbs/38 inches in a radian
    W 7 years,66 lbs/51 inches in a parkway
    M 9 years, 58 lbs/51 inches in a parkway

Since you have another child who would get use out of it after he outgrows it, I would get a Vivo. Once he is too tall for the Vivo, he can use the Turbo backless again.
    Liz
    Mom to:
    Rachael (11/03), Emily (8/06), and Naomi (1/09)

Moderator - CPS Technician safeinthecar's Avatar

Are you positive on his height? 57 inches is 4 foot 9 inches tall, and most kids will fit in almost all cars by that height.(although they may or may not be able to pass the 5th step---stays in position for the entire ride) That woud be a REALLY tall 6 yo. My nephew is 9.5yrs wears a men's size small shirt, and is only 4'8".

If he really is that tall, you may even want to consider the Frontier, which is tall enough for 5'5" me, to be sure to get him to an age where he doesn't need a booster at all.
    Kimberly
    Proud mommy of Becky 18! Danny 15 Hope 12~Auntie to William-14, David-10, and Logan 2~

He is 4'9", I am positive on this one. He stands almost to my shoulders. HIs torso height (I just measured) is 22 inches. yet no matter what seat I've tried in our van he does not pass the 5 step test. He's been in a no back booster for a year now and I do not like the no back boosters too much. he's great at sitting properly and in my dads car he fits great without a booster, but in our van he doesn't.
    Traci

Moderator - CPS Technician safeinthecar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by borntraci View Post
    He is 4'9", I am positive on this one. He stands almost to my shoulders. HIs torso height (I just measured) is 22 inches. yet no matter what seat I've tried in our van he does not pass the 5 step test. He's been in a no back booster for a year now and I do not like the no back boosters too much. he's great at sitting properly and in my dads car he fits great without a booster, but in our van he doesn't.
    With a 22" torso he is almost too tall for the Monterey. That leaves you with the Britax Frontier and the Recaro Start ( just barely) for high back booster options.
    Kimberly
    Proud mommy of Becky 18! Danny 15 Hope 12~Auntie to William-14, David-10, and Logan 2~

so basically my choices for a high back are extremely limited and won't last very long. Would it be safe to have him in a no back booster? And if so, what would be the best. He never sleeps in the car and sits properly everytime. Gr, why does he have to be so tall.
    Traci

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

If he doesn't sleep in the car, has outgrown most high-backed boosters, and still needs a booster to pass the test, then, yeah, I'd say a low-backed booster is an appropriate option. I feel your pain on the tall, long-torsoed kids, believe me. I'd try different LBBs in the store to see what fits his legs comfortably if you can. And you will need to check the positioning of the shoulder belt as well, many come with a shoulder belt guide that can help you get appropriate fit.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!