OMG...new daycare baby

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I have a new baby starting on Tuesday. She is 9mo, and is a MAJOR chunk! I asked mom how much she weighed, and get this, she says she is 32lbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I sure hope she is mistaken! She is already ff in her moms car, in a harnessed booster. :( My 16mo old daycare boy is 26lbs, and she honestly doesn't feel heavier then he does (and he's a chunk too!)...so I'm going to weigh her when she starts on Tuesday. AND she's already walking!

My delima of course is her weight. I just pray her mom was wrong when she said what she weighed, or that I misunderstood her. I had planned on putting her rf in the RA. Now, if her weight is accurate...I don't know what to do. I know I could go buy a Scenera...but I honestly don't want to buy another car seat. Not to mention, I've already had 2 Sceneras and sold them. I don't want another one. I just hope mom was wrong, then I can quit all this stressing! SHEESH!

ADS

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
There was a mom on another board whose 12mos old was 36# so it's entirely possible. I can't imagine though! AJ is only 35# at 3 and Evan will be 2 in a little over 3 mos and is only 23#. :)

A 32-lb. 9 month old?!? :eek: That is heavy!!! I have seen a few babies like this; either super-chunks, or the one or two here and there that are just big-framed babies, coming from big-framed parents.

I honestly don't know much about the higher RF-weight seats; I'll let someone else tackle that. But regarding the mom having her FF already, could you just casually mention to her that you saw something in the news recently about carseat safety, and that "the experts" stressed that infants should be RF until 20 lbs. *AND* 1 year? Or that you were checking the manuals on your current seats (since as a daycare provider you are REQUIRED to use the seats 100% correctly, 100% of the time, and could lose your license if you aren't...), and noticed that particular caveat? Something that wouldn't come off as sounding scolding or judgemental, but just wanting to let the mom know what you'll be needing to do to keep her child as safe as possible, and that she may find that information valuable as well.

Good luck!

Lara

That is a chunky monkey (that was Kam's nickname when she was smaller).

I just responded to you on BC so you can read it there lol.

Lara

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I honestly don't see her being 32lbs. While I know it's possible...she just doesn't feel that heavy! Yeah, she's definitely a chunk, no question about it. As for her mom, she is TINY! Like 5' and 100lbs tiny. Have no clue how big dad is.

I'll rf her regardless in the RA as long as she's under 33lbs, and weigh her daily if she is close. At this point, I'm not planning on buying a Scenera to buy us 2lbs. But at the same time, can't imagine putting her ff at under 1yr either. But if she exceeds the rf limits on my seats...what else am I suppose to do? Short of buying a Scenera...

Yoshi

And we thought our daughter was a chunky monkey (a familiar term to a lot of us:p ) At 9 months she was about 21 lbs, and had about 4 thigh rolls! She was always in the high percentiles.....but 32 lbs?

I don't think you should freak out just yet, I'll bet she's nowhere near that, it would be a statistical rarity. My dd is 3 yrs, 4 months and she is 35 lbs....I can barely carry her anymore- to have nearly that amount of weight in the body of a 9 month old, you'd think you were holding an anvil!!:eek:

Splash

Charlie is about 28-29 pounds at one year old, and he is gigantic. He's WAY off the standard growth chart, and doesn't even drop into the 97% until about 26 months with his current height and weight. So it's very rare to have a child that large. Possible, yes, but rare. And I would venture to say that it's REALLY unlikely to have a girl be that big at that age.

Honestly, if she really is that close... I'd brace it against the seat in front of it, tether it, and use it above the weight limits. You know the harness itself can hold more, and hopefully with the seat in front of it to stop any forward movement, and the tether to keep it from rebounding, it would be okay.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I guess it is possible to have a 32-pound 9-month-old, but MY GOSH! That is a BIG kid!! I am guessing that mom was wrong about the child's weight. I am HOPING that mom was wrong, at least! :) :eek:

Good luck to you!

Dillipop

I have a friend whose son was 30 pounds at 1 year. Just 3 pounds lighter than my 3 year old son. However, he was tall, too. Only a few inches shorter than my son. If your day care kid isn't particularly tall, she would have to be really, really chunky to be that heavy at 9 months.

skaterbabs

CJ was 30 lbs at a year - but he was also a 9 lb 6 oz newborn. FWIW, a heavy baby dosn't mean they kid will be large - at ten CJ is one of the smallest kids in his class.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Update

Baby K started today, and I weighed her (by weighing myself, then with her and getting the difference) and according to that...she is right around 23lbs! So I'm guessing either I misunderstood mom and she said 22lbs, or Mom misunderstood the dr! Either way, she is NOT 32lbs! Thank goodness! So she will be riding in the RA rf.

Now trying to figure out how to talk to mom about putting her in a convertible and getting her rf. She's currently ff in a harnessed booster in Mom's car. :( I don't have a 'relationship' with mom yet, so I want to find the best way to talk w/her, without her feeling like I'm trying to tell her how to take care of her child.

Yoshi

Well, we all knew it had to be a mistake!:) Now at least you won't throw your back out when lifting her for diaper changes!!:D
Ya know, I'm relatively new to all this information about "extended" rearfacing and turning kids too early, in fact, I turned my daughter around at 1 year, 23 lbs, because that's what I was told to do by the pediatrician AND the manual. I had NO CLUE about the risks involved. I am one of those self-admitted overprotective moms and I could just kick myself for not being more aware. But that was 2 yrs ago, and now I try to kindly tell all my friends with "yearlings" that things have changed and there is now information out there that they should listen to.
Maybe once you get to know this child's mom, you could tell her how much you are involved with safety, and that combined with your love of children, you really want to inform everyone about what you know. Sometimes people are just unaware of the danger and they will respond to factual information given to them in a friendly way. If I was her and you had told me 2 yrs ago, I would have thanked you and turned my dd back around for another year at the very least.
I wish you well!!!

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
yoshiandluke said:
But that was 2 yrs ago, and now I try to kindly tell all my friends with "yearlings" that things have changed and there is now information out there that they should listen to.

LOL, yearlings...I love it. Do you have horses? I've never seen someone refer to a 1yr old human baby a yearling before. If not, it's funny...cause 1yr old horses are called 'yearlings'!

Anywho...did a newsletter a while back for some of my other parents who had their babies ff too soon. I'm thinking about printing off one of those for her. I should just start including that in my orientation packet.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Two ideas for approaching parents.

1. write a brochure and tell the parent who needs the information that you were asked to provide carseat info for a mom's club. Ask her if she would read the brochure and give you her opinion of the wo. If the wording. That way she gets educated in the guise of helping you.

2. since this is one of your daycare children, maybe you could arrange an outing first thing in the morning. When the mom arrives you could transfer baby from her ff carseat to your rf one. If the mom asks you why she is in a rfing seat in your car, she probably just didn't know and you have the perfect opening to educate her. If the mom doesn't ask, she probably knows that her daughter should be rfing and just didn't listen.

Kim

Cathyliz

Senior Community Member
I had a new kiddo start last Monday. I talked to the parents about carseat safety at our interview three weeks before. They knew I was taking the week before they started off to take the CPST class so they said they had a question (love it when that happens--they open themselves up!). Their dd is 13 months and only weight 17lbs (she was 4 weeks early--4lbs 1oz at birth!). They said their ped had told them that although the law was 1 year or 27lbs they could go ahead and turn her FF. WHAT??? I told them their ped was wrong and that the law here in CO is 1yr AND 20lbs, but it's best to keep them RF for as long as the CR will allow it (weight limit). I then told them I couldn't tell them what to do in their car but in MY car she'd be RF. They both agreed they want her to be safe so she will remain RF in their car as well!:thumbsup: They have her in an infant carrier and I have her in a convertable. So I can go to 35lbs in mine and they can only go to 22lbs in theirs, but they'll be getting a convertable or combination when she outgrows it--hopefully a convertable so she can stay RF in their car.

ajay

My son is 32 lbs and 9 months, so it is entirely possible. He is a chunk, but he is also very long. He is rear-facing and his legs are all bunched up!

bethng

My son is 32 lbs and 9 months, so it is entirely possible. He is a chunk, but he is also very long. He is rear-facing and his legs are all bunched up!

wow! My 6 year old daughter is only about 39lbs! lol 7lbs at birth.

doriansmummy

If you have an area where the "check in" there kiddos I would hang up info on extended rear facing and let them know "hey I just put up this wonderful info I received and I wanted to pass it along" and have extra sheets for them to take with them.

Starlight

Senior Community Member
I covered the bases in my handbook - it was part of the contract, on transportation...

Based on current recommendations from (blah, blah blah), all children up to approx 30 lbs will be rear-facing, children will remain in a forward facing harness seat from approx 30 to atleast 40 lbs, and will then transfer to a booster until they can pass the 5 step test (insert 5 step test here), regardless of age.

Wow, thats a really bad paraphrase, but ya'll get the general idea.

I covered it during an interview, just as I did vacation time. I told every single parent who came to my house that since my friend lost her daughter in a rollover, I was a very strong advocate for proper carseat usage, and that we regularly took field trips to (blah blah blah). I provide proper carseats for all children and, in keeping with recent studies and the recommendations from (blah blah blah), your child will ride in a (what type of seat, rear-facing, etc)

I also gave every single parent a flier from the USAA Educational Foundation, even if they didn't hire me. I also offered to check their kids seats.

Jordynsmama

My dd was about 20 something pounds at 9 months and her thighs and legs were just straight rolls. She was sooooo chunky. People would be like "are u feeding her straight cream?" I have a hard time understanding a kid 10 more pounds than she was at that age. I hope they are not completely overfeeding him or feeding him the wrong foods at his age. That is my initial thought for some reason-not to jump to conclusions, just wow!!! I wonder what dr's say about such heavy children if my dd's dr flipped about her being 45lbs at 4.9 yrs!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC