Are there any quirks to the BV I should know about before I pick it over the MA?

glockchick

Dh is tired of me asking his opinion.

Sorry I'm being such a pain, but I don't have anyone else to ask.

I do appreciate all the help.

ADS

Mom2three

We really like our BLVD. DH says it's his favorite, and I think it is because it is easy for him to use. But, alas, I always want to try something else, so can come up with a reason to dislike it, even though in reality it is great for our needs.

We haven't had any head-slump issues (new-style headwings if that makes a difference)
The only thing I consistently dislike is trying to get DD in RFing in a small car. We don't have a small car, but when going in a different car it is sometimes a pain. To have to navigate her around the headwings and into the seat can be irritating. Other than that, I like it. If making the decision again I would probably go with a MA of TF just to have something different and not as confining.

crunchierthanthou

the top harness position is slightly lower than the MA (~1/2"). As the PP mentioned, the wings can be cumbersome with a rf child in a small car. They're identical in terms of installation and outside dimensions.

glockchick

You wouldn't be worried about sacrificing safety w/out the head wings?

I drive a big truck, so I have to lift high and over to get kids in. I could see the head wings getting in the way for that as well.

Then again, that big truck is pretty good protection itself. Not much on the road is big enough to impact high on the body. Pretty much just other 4x4 suburbans and semis. :p

The seats will be in the middle positions in the 2nd and 3rd rows if that matters any.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I think being rear-facing is such good protection I wouldn't worry about the wings, personally. I mean, for a forward-facing child I might pay extra for SIP features like wings. But rear-facing, especially rear-facing tethered, is SO safe, I wouldn't worry about not having headwings, personally. Add in being in the middle and eh, not a big deal to me to not have the head wings.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Depends on the truck... the latest round of IIHS testing that simulated 'one big truck hitting another' were absolutely dismal for most of the tested trucks :(. And yet... I'd probably still go with an MA or RN :cool: (really, they are very safe, and I like any seat that's super easy to load a kid into to encourage RF as long as possible). To echo ketchupqueen...I mostly worry about SIP in carseats once kids are in booster stage and they lose the safety of the 5-pt harness.

brittany741

I like it a lot better.

Britax even added some cool new things, like anti-slip to the base...

Strap adjustment is nicer.

Less cute covers but DD has to have headwings to sleep.

I'd recommend it.

Blondie87

I love my Boulevards. Much more then the Marathon I had for like a week... Probably because I am so used to having the head wings the Marathon just looked like it was missing something.

natysr

And I'm a huge fan of the Marathon.

We started out using a Roundabout, and loved it.

Then we replaced it with a Marathon. Later, I added a Boulevard for the other car, but we had big problems with head slumping (this was with the older style of wings. I spoke with a Britax rep and asked if the new style of wings solved the head slump problem. She said that they weren't aware of a head slump problem, so if it did, it was accidental).

I then was in a fender bender and our insurance was required by state law to replace our seat (even though the seat could still be used according to Britax guidelines). I could have gotten another Boulevard at that time, but I chose to get another Marathon. We just couldn't be happier with the Marathon.

No probs with head slump. We have the newer kind.

After smacking my head into the inside side of the seat, I want the head wings. It hurts! Headwing is much softer.

Blondie87

I also have the new style headwings and we have no head slumping or problems getting them in their seats... I love it. The boys just look so comfy and safe in them! One of the most important parts of their body is very protected. :)

NannyMom

I agree with Codex that smacking your head into the MA hurts (darn DH moving my seatback!). However, I haven't tried it with a BV, lol.

I love my MA. My parents have a BV in their car (outboard, 2006ish CRV) and really like it. But, all they ever do is put her in and out (not installing or headwings adjusting). I think the only reason I wouldn't like it would be outboard in a small car. But, we don't have a small car :)

If you're using it outboard, I'd be tempted to go for the headwings.

mommyto4

My friends little boy rides in a Boulevard. I like it alot, but I also like the Marathon alot. I would probably try both and see which one works best for your needs.

sunnymw

I feel like it's more fragile. I have one of those kids who turns into a wild monkey as soon as you hit the red button on the seat, and he likes to climb OVER his car seats into the front seat. This is why we put him in the TF and put the baby in the BV (until I traded the BV for another TF). I always thought he'd rip the wings right off. Also I had to keep it on a high table when cover-washing so he wouldn't touch it.

(Then again I had to keep the uptown high too--he BIT into the EPP foam!!! WTF?!?!)

glockchick

It's comforting to hear that it's not just my kids that do stuff like that. I even have teeth marks on a pair of my flip flops. What makes them think this is a good idea? :shrug-shoulders:

I don't currently have any car seat fighters, but I have in the past. It's like they go from mild mannered children to screaming possessed little monsters the minute their butt touches the seat. I am so glad we're over that phase and I pray my youngest never hits it.

Maybe I should give the True Fit another look. I looked at it a bit at Target yesterday and I didn't care for the open slots on the cover nor the crack where the removable top part meets the bottom shell. Something like that would bug me if it didn't hit just right. I was impressed by how soft and squishy it was. I did have a cranky baby that wouldn't sit in the dang cart with me so I couldn't really play with it like I wanted too. Also it seemed that the footprint of the seat was bigger since it's not on a base. I think it would give less room than the Marathon for actual seating space next to it.

I don't think I could puzzle Truefits as well as I could a Frontier and a Marathon though and I think that's what I'm going to wind up having to do. I installed the Marathon I have rear facing behind the driver last night in hopes that I can show dh that DD really doesn't mind it. Besides being a pita to get in, there is no room in the center for DS's convertible. He's still in his KF so it works for now. I have puzzled 2 marathons in those positions with one ff and one rf. I would be nice to have lower profile seats since my truck sits up so high.

I'm still torn on the MA vs BV. I know I love my MAs and am scared to part from that. I had a DC that I hated when DD2 was a baby and that was the last time I strayed from my MAs, but then the BV has the same shell and same wonderful metal bars that I love for latch. Should I worry about the older kid sitting next to it hitting his head on the knob adjuster?

I also think if I go with the BV, I'd just have to get Abigail's Frontier now. She has a bit of room in the MA, but not much. That would thrill dh. 3 new $300 seats. :eek:

NannyMom

I also think if I go with the BV, I'd just have to get Abigail's Frontier now. She has a bit of room in the MA, but not much. That would thrill dh. 3 new $300 seats. :eek:

Can you just pass down the MA instead of buying a BV? And go ahead and buy the Frontier. I thought it was whichs eat to buy new. Or is the MA expiring?

glockchick

Duh! I could have Abigail sit in the Marathon for now. She's currently in a PW and Kaleigh is in the MA. I'm trying to get Abi harnessed again since she's such a tiny little thing. 4 2/3 years, 39 lbs, and 43". The MA exps the end of Aug. I could get the 2 BVs now and let Abi take the Marathon until it exps and buy her Frontier then. I'm trying to wait and hoping they'll come out with plush covers for it by then.

Should I even buy a convertible for Kaleigh? She 30 months and 30 lbs. Is it worth it to keep her rf? Dh says I can't rear face her again, but I install the seats so eh. If he really fights me, is it worth it to keep her rear facing? I know it's safer, but is it really worth the discontent with the dh I guess is the question. ;) And if I can't rear face her, would it just be better to get the Frontier for her as well?

glockchick

No probs with head slump. We have the newer kind.

After smacking my head into the inside side of the seat, I want the head wings. It hurts! Headwing is much softer.

What about the head wings makes it softer? The inside of the MA is lined with EPS foam too.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC