• Option #1

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Option #2

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • Option #3, please elaborate

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters

melniemi

I have found a way to fit my 5 children in my van w/o getting the modular seats. I have 2 options.

Option 1:

Third row - Parkway/Keyfit/Parkway
Middle row - rf marathon/regent

I would have to climb through the captain's chairs with the KF to put it in the third row every time I leave. Using the rear hatch is not working, I am too short.

Option 2:

Third row - Oto/ff ma/Oto
Middle row - rf ma/rf keyfit

The boys could buckle themselves. I have headrests, but also have the worst crash test ratings on my van. I can fit the pws but they can't buckle themselves - I would switch from Otos to pws when we go farther than an hour and just climb back there and buckle them.

Option 3:

Please tell me:p

I can also fit Oto/rf ma/Oto (if my Oto measurements are right), so if needed, this can happen. I'm thinking I can fit a ff'ing radian between the Otos as another option if dd1 outgrows the ma too fast. She has 1.5-2" of torso growth right now.

But at least I can fit them. I'm thinking the Venture was never made in 8 passenger w/tan leather because I have all kinds of people looking and noone finding anything.

So which would you choose?

Ds1 - 8.5 (will be 9 a month after baby) 56#s, 50"
Ds2 - 7.5 (will be 8 a month after baby) 50#s, 48"
Dd1 - will be 5 when baby comes, 41#s, 42"
Dd2 - 2, 33", 23#s

ADS

seamonkeys

I don't know what Oto stands for, but I voted for #2. There's no way I could deal with putting the infant seat in the back!!

fyrfightermomma

I voted two as well. I honestly can't see lugging the KF back there every time or trying to buckle your boys every single time. I think i'd go nuts!

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Does PW/FF MA/PW fit with enough room to buckle?

The seatbelt still needs to go under the belt guides on the Oto to buckle, so you'll still need to work around that. In dh's car (with medium buckle stalks - 07 Mazda Speed3), this means I have to twist down the buckle stalk one full twist to prevent it from interfering with the belt guide and A can't do up the buckle himself with the buckle stalk twisting on him.

It didn't work properly at all in the third row of our '08 Grand Caravan, so if we had a second booster kid... the Parkway went in the third row and the Oto went in the captain's chair where there was enough space between the Oto and the seatbelt stalk to not interfere with the belt guides.

It just barely works in the '09 Escape... but those buckle stalks are short... as in there really is no stalk.

It's the one thing I really don't like about the Oto... I really wish you didn't have to use the belt guides (life would be so much easier), but they are mandatory. :(

That was long, but more things to consider than just space alone. :eek:

JerseyGirl'sMama

Melissa - I voted #2. I would have no problems putting DD1 FF in the MA between the two boys at age 5. Hopefully this will work. *keeping fingers crossed*

melniemi

pw/ff ma/pw does fit. They can't buckle themselves. Maybe with enough practice.

I didn't think about the low belt guides on the Oto. I do have longer buckle stalks. Hmmm...there is about 17.5-18" between the side of the van and the marathon base. I figured that gave me 3+" for them to buckle with the Oto.

How far from the back of the Oto do the belt guides start? Just curious if my buckle stalks will make it. I can see why they are mandatory I guess.

Thanks for the input.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I took some photos... hopefully they'll help.

The Oto is installed with LATCH in all photos... if not installed with LATCH (and you don't shove the lower anchors into the seat bight), then you may gain another 2.5 inches (length of the lower anchors from the back of the Oto) from the buckle stalk.

The belt guides themselves are 2" from the back of the seat to the opening of the belt guide (where the seatbelt starts to go through the belt guide). So 2" plus 2.5 inches (if not using LATCH or shoving the lower anchors into the seat bight) for a possible total of 4.5 inches.

I find it easiest (in tight squeezes) to buckle the seatbelt with the lap portion routed under the belt guide. Pull lap portion tight and then route shoulder portion under the belt guide last.

Oto buckled from the front looking back...
3309808121_94ac6e26ae.jpg

Oto buckled looking from the side...
3310644450_3b40dc5a34.jpg

Oto buckled from the top looking down...
3309820367_76f38a6ddd.jpg

Oto buckled: close up of the non-existent buckle stalks...
3310652016_22c50a4f5a.jpg

I don't totally see why they are mandatory, but I've questioned them a few times and they are. :rolleyes: If the buckle stalks are too long, you can always twist them down to get them short enough (if possible: 3 full 360 degree twists allowed)... you just need to train the kids to keep them twisted down.

melniemi

Thanks for the pics. Very helpful. I'd rep you again but it won't let me:p Is it mandatory to put the shoulder belt under the belt guide? It seems the buckle stalk could be a little longer if not.

Can I twist my buckle stalk and somehow secure it to like a ruler and stick the ruler into the buckle stalk slot? Or something? To keep it twisted and in place?

Just a thought.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Yep... mandatory to have the shoulder portion in the belt guide as well. (where's the sighing icon :D)

No rulers sticking in there. :D I have found that twisting it down, with the Oto right beside it, tends to help keep the seatbelt in position (ie doesn't untwist readily). The kids would just need to be trained to make sure it's still twisted down when buckling up. I think, given their ages, they should be able to do this. :)

melniemi

Thanks. I'll give them a few days to see if they can manage to buckle next to the marathon. It is very tight, but maybe, just maybe, they'll be able to stick their lil hands in there and buckle it.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Do you have 3rd row side curtain air bags? if you do, go for the backless, if not, I'd do Parkways until they are outgrown.

melniemi

I do not have side curtain airbags. And my van has really bad crash test ratings according to the link Jools posted. That is why it is hard to decide. I'm leaving the marathon installed between their pws for a while to see if they can get the hang of buckling them.

When dd1 outgrows the ma, I will need to put a radian there and then they'll have to use the Otos. I'll probably get the Otos sooner than later so I have them when I need them.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC