If you had approx $7K CDN - what minivan would you get and why ?

If you had approx $7K CDN - what minivan would you get and why ?

• Total voters

Lea_Ontario

If you had approx $7,000K CDN (though preferably closer to $5,000) - what minivan would you get and why ?

ETA - this must fit (easily, preferably) 3 car seats (or, for FUTURE considerations, 4 car seats)

Last edited:
ADS

smurf

I voted Honda Odyssey because of its reliability and because if I were to buy a miniwan that's what I'd get.

My neighbors have a Kia Sedona and they love it. Easier on the budget than an Ody.

4 car seats, eh?

canadiangie

My answer would depend on what year $5000-$7000k gets you for each vehicle model, kwim?

Your B's are all pretty young so I'm guessing you need 4 tether anchors. That could be the determining factor for which van you get, kwim?

Or if your funds allow for a short wheel base model of something, vs a long wheel base model of something else (room for a stroller, groceries, etc) that might be the determining factor, make sense??

Or if one van offered captain's chairs, and another offered a bench, you might be swayed towards one and not the other, regardless of make/model.

Assuming you can get a long wheel base Sedona with 4 top tether anchors, captain's chairs, and under 150,000kms, I'd lean towards a Sedona. (I'm just guessing those are features you'd want, if not, ignore me ;))

After that I might look at the Chrysler vans, although I really do prefer seatbelts that lock manually for booster training kids... and only '07 ('08?) and newer Chrysler vans have lockable belts. (that said, it wouldn't be a deal breaker, and I know you know not to rush your kids into boosters, so this might not be a concern for you whatsoever)

So yeah, I could ramble on, but I won't. I think you probably understand what I'm trying to say... :eek:

And ya, 4 car seats! If so, I vote for Bean. :D

ETA: well, it appears your oldest B is a lot older than I thought lol. Ignore the 4 TA stuff, and booster training stuff. :p

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Out of all your choices, I vote for the Honda Odyssey or Sienna. BUT can you get an Ody for $5-7k in Canada?

If you go for an Ody, it should be newer than 1999 when they changed the design/size though. My grey one that you saw at the CRST class was a 2001, 5 TAs, seats 4 kids comfortably. Ody 2005 has only 3 TAs btw.

If you go for the Sienna, consider the ones newer than 2003 because that's when the design changed too.

But seriously, can we get anything decent for $5-7k in Canada? We have to replace our 'bucket of bolts' this summer and just starting to look into prices and such. Wow!

ETA: The 'bucket of bolts' is not the Ody :) but an old '92 Accord 2-door :)

Last edited:

ginny4

i'm not canadian so i have no idea if choices are different.....
i have an 01 dodge grand caravan bought for $4100 (us dollars) with a lil over 100K miles. it has lots of LATCH. the 2 capt chiars in 2nd row have full set of LATCH. the 3rd row is somewhat odd either you can use 2 outboard or one 1 center. the 3rd row seatbelt are less than desirable for child fit without a booster but eventually it'll work. the van fulfilled my needs: headrests, LATCH for 4 kids & affordable. if we had more money i would've gotten an 04 sienna 8 passenger.

ETA: ONLY the 01's had that LATCH set up...proir to 01 there is no latch so you have to get retrofitted & later than 01 its only 3 LATCH positions

Shanora

I picked Ford Windstar. The models from 00-03 have 6 TA's and 5 Latch/UAS points. I'm betting you could find one for $5-7000.

However that being said, my dream Van would be the Odyssay!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE that van. Couldn't convince the bank we were good for one though (trying to go from a $16,000 car to a $50,000 van....to much liability I guess for the banks????).

ETA: I own a 03 windstar

Jumanji

You really just have to try them all out and see what you like. It won't be an easy process but a necessary one. There's a huge price difference between domestic and import but you should be able to find something that works for you. I'm sure dealers will be willing to negotiate given the current market.

April

i'm not canadian so i have no idea if choices are different.....
i have an 01 dodge grand caravan bought for $4100 (us dollars) with a lil over 100K miles. it has lots of LATCH. the 2 capt chiars in 2nd row have full set of LATCH. the 3rd row is somewhat odd either you can use 2 outboard or one 1 center. the 3rd row seatbelt are less than desirable for child fit without a booster but eventually it'll work. the van fulfilled my needs: headrests, LATCH for 4 kids & affordable. if we had more money i would've gotten an 04 sienna 8 passenger.

ETA: ONLY the 01's had that LATCH set up...proir to 01 there is no latch so you have to get retrofitted & later than 01 its only 3 LATCH positions

Don't the 01 Grand Caravans have Gen 3 seatbelts though? That is the main reason I wouldn't buy one, particularly for transporting kids/using car seats.

I picked Ford Windstar. The models from 00-03 have 6 TA's and 5 Latch/UAS points. I'm betting you could find one for $5-7000.

However that being said, my dream Van would be the Odyssay!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE that van. Couldn't convince the bank we were good for one though (trying to go from a $16,000 car to a $50,000 van....to much liability I guess for the banks????).

ETA: I own a 03 windstar

I'm on a bit of a casual van search myself and I never considered that option! SIX TA'S?!!!! That's exactly what OUR family needs. Do you mind sharing interior pics and/or TA/UAS locations?

ginny4

Don't the 01 Grand Caravans have Gen 3 seatbelts though? That is the main reason I wouldn't buy one, particularly for transporting kids/using car seats.

yes gen 3 seatbelts. i'm not all that concerned. i've never had a problem with them & have owned a gen 3 belts for several years

Shanora

I'm on a bit of a casual van search myself and I never considered that option! SIX TA'S?!!!! That's exactly what OUR family needs. Do you mind sharing interior pics and/or TA/UAS locations?

I can take pictures tomorrow (mind you we took out one Captain chair).

The bench seat in the back has 3 TA (they are under the seat) and there is 2 sets of Latch anchors, and the center seat you can borrow a LATCH/UAS anchor from each outboard position (I can have 2 seats LATCHed(UAS) on the sides and another car seat installed using the seat belt, or have a car seat LATCHed (UAS) in the center and install 2 other car seats with the seat belts.)

The middle is 2 Captain chairs, both have the TA and LATCH/UAS. I believe its the same idea if you have a bench in the middle (2 TA and 2 LATCH/UAS points)

As for the 6th TA its on the back underside of the Front passenger seat. I'm not sure if it can be used for a RF seat though, but if it came down to it you could install a FF car seat there AND use the TA.

Marinesfamily5

I would go with the Chrysler .. the many latch / tether points and all sound good to me, also I have dirven them and love seat positions... you can see everything!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC