Is there a child seat for use with a 4 point race harness ?

U

Unregistered

Hi I am about to take delivery of a Lotus Exige which comes with 4 point harness and no diagonal 3 point belt.

Is there a child seat on the market which can be secured into the car using the 4 point harness ? My son is 4 years old.

I don't need to take him out in the car as we have a family sedan too, but it would be good to take him out in it ocassionally.

Thanks in advance.

Bill.

ADS

Mama Jo

The best answer I can give would be to check your owners manual when you get the car. I doubt there are any seats that would work with a 4 pt harness, and since it's only a 2-seater, I doubt there's LATCH in the passenger seat - that's usually only in the back seats. Cars like that aren't exactly built with the intent of toting around kiddos... But check your owners manual and see what it says about restraining children.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I can't think of a single child restraint that would allow installation with anything other than a standard 2- or 3-point belt or LATCH.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
There may be an option to have a lap belt retrofitted for use with a child restraint. I agree, check your manual when you get it.

Mama Jo

There may be an option to have a lap belt retrofitted for use with a child restraint. I agree, check your manual when you get it.

Yeah, the more I think about it, you probably can do that. I've seen kits with anti-submarining bars that can work with an anti-submarining belt also... I might get yelled at for this here, but depending on the size and weight of the child and if your laws allow it, if he was mine, I might be inclined to let him ride in the converted 5 pt restraint of the vehicle for an occasional ride. If it is able to fit him properly. Racing cars are usually designed to be pretty safe, and I don't imagine you'll be max'ing out the speed with your 4 year old in the car. Now, if he doesn't fit well in the straps, then I certainly wouldn't do it... it's possible the shoulder strap portion is entirely too high, but maybe a backless booster could possibly remedy an imperfect harness fit?? (ok, everyone can start yelling at me now...)

Last edited:

I haven't looked at the Exige closely, but here are my thoughts:

Don't use the shoulder straps. Just use the bottom part so it becomes a lap belt. Most seats have directions on how to install using a lap belt. It'd be similar to how an airplane seatbelt looks.

If the seat is still rear facing, make sure you can turn off the air bag. In any case, move the seat as far back as possible. In all honesty, I'd avoid using it to transport your kid. However, if there's no airbag switch and the kid is still rear facing, and it's an emergency with no other car, you often can pull a fuse that will disable the passenger air bag.

christineka

What about using a booster seat? I've seen that the 86y harness (which is a 4 point) can be used with a booster. Why not a built in 4 point used with a booster? It would be more protection than a booster with only a 3 point belt.

TXAggieTech

No advice but I'm totally drooling over the car! That's the kind of car you get a tad light headed just looking at.

I would take the family car with DS, better safe than sorry. Plus, that kinda car isn't meant to go slow or have cheerios any where near it!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
What about using a booster seat? I've seen that the 86y harness (which is a 4 point) can be used with a booster. Why not a built in 4 point used with a booster? It would be more protection than a booster with only a 3 point belt.

The 86 Y is designed to fit a child and the booster is used for 1) head support where none exists/side impact protection and 2) to appropriately position the lap belt on a smaller child. With a built-in harness I'm not sure a booster could be appropriately used. The 86 Y doesn't attach to the back of the seat (other than the tether.) Again, you'd have to see if that is approved by the car maker before saying it could be done...

BW1426

The seats are really contoured, this could be an issue.

Also, it is not possible to deactivate the airbag according to the Lotus's site.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Its a 2-seater. Wouldn't likely.

True, 2-seaters are exempt from having LATCH, although some 2-seater models do have LATCH in the front passenger seat, such as certain model year Cadillac XLRs, because the manufacturer opted to include LATCH voluntarily. :) That said, there isn't even a Lotus section in the 2009 LATCH manual to do a lookup of the OP's Exige. :eek:

The owner's manual for the OP's Exige would be the best bet for clarifying child restraint installation options, if the car allows for child restraint usage at all. :twocents:

On a side note, I wish I had paid more attention to the Lotus display last month at the Detroit Auto Show. I was in a big hurry to ogle and drool over the electric Tesla roadster around the corner from the Lotus booth. The Tesla has a lot in common with the Lotus Elise due to shared platform/body construction, but I didn't think to check the Tesla for LATCH in the front passenger seat, either. The car enthusiast in me totally took over my CPST mindset around the Tesla, lol. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC