Do you correct sales people

SoccerMom

Even if they are helping someone else and you shouldn't be listening to their conversation?
I was in a store looking at car seats and the sales girl was helping someone else. I couldn't help but overhear the conversation. :whistle:
Baby was in a Peg Perego infant seat and the parents were looking for a new seat. The sales girl said "overall height isn't important, but if her legs are hanging out she needs a new seat asap" :eek: Baby was 11 months. She then said, you need a forward facing seat because after 1 year they have to be forward facing and she's almost there anyway.:eek:
My DH just looked at me and tried not to laugh because he knew I wanted to correct her, but I didn't have the nerve to say anything.

ADS

Shaunam

Ack! I would have a hard time keeping my mouth shut! But since this is after the fact, maybe you should call the manager and let them know the employee is giving out very dangerous advice...wouldn't want a lawsuit if a baby got hurt...:whistle:

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
In that situation, yes I would have corrected her. If I overhear anything dangerous, I will correct... it helps that I'm also able to back it up by saying I'm a tech, but I corrected before I became a tech as well.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I went so far as to get a job at BRU to correct their lame advice, ROFL! I still don't have them all convinced that 'feet hanging off the end' is NOT a sign the seat is outgrown, siiiiiiigh.

Anyway... I might correct them if they seem 'nice', but usually don't get involved.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I usually stage a REALLY LOUD conversation with my husband about how sad it is that people think that legs over the seat is dangerous and how sad it is that so many people don't know you should keep your child RF to the limits of a convertible or something like that... :whistle:

cowgirlsmommy

Most definitely! Especially if I hear something really bad like that. I've actually accidently took over sales at USA Baby before. lol.

Shaunam

I would correct them but I've also been kicked out of a toy r us. :whistle:

Omg you can't seriously get kicked out of a store for talking to someone about car seats can you? Or did you beat them over the head with some pamphlets or something? ;)

emandbri

Omg you can't seriously get kicked out of a store for talking to someone about car seats can you? Or did you beat them over the head with some pamphlets or something? ;)

This was like 8 or 9 years ago. A grandma was looking at a seat for her 2 or 3 year old grandson and the sales person suggested a cosco high back. I told her that the century ascend or next step was a better choice because it had taller harness slots. The sales person and I went round and round and I got kicked out.

Loves2sing

I'm not a tech, but I have been in sales since I was 13. I will but in everytime, and I have never recieved attitude for doing so. I think it all comes down to HOW you approach the people. Of course I could be lucky, as I haven't run into a crazy I'm always right employee as of yet.;) I also do try to approach the customer when the sales person walks away for a minute.:thumbsup:

canmom

I haven't said anything but I also haven't had a chance so not sure if I would or not given the opportunity.

mommycat

I would definitely correct her, but gently. As in, "oh, I just read an article that said xyz, but that's a really commn misconception" probably followed by "and then I read into it some more and actually... blah blah blah" I cannot keep my mouth shut. :eek:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC