spend more $$ on a pink cover?

christineka

I'm hoping the radian is my answer to 6 car seats in my van. The radian would be for my 4 year old dd for a year- year and a half. Then she'll move on to the nautilus. (And I'll have to decide whether to spend the money to buy a pink cover for it.) When she moves on, her little sister will probably get the seat.
4 year old dd currently rides in a pink scenera. She loves pink and she loves her pink car seat. She insists that if she get a new seat that it be pink. Her older sisters both have pink booster seats.

A radian 65 not in pink costs around $200.
A Princess radian 80 costs $250

I considered buying a cover separate, but that would be about $65 more than the $200. (Of course, I'd get two covers that way in case a boy should have to sit in the seat, but I don't anticipate that need- and of course, I could go the other way around and buy grey when needed.)

If you had the funds to make your child happy with the color of their car seat, would you spend $50 more?

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
You're looking at using the seat for two kids for at least three years, so yeah, probably -- that's about $15 per year. For a travel or spare seat, or a seat to get a 33-pound child RFing to 35 pounds, probably not.

christineka

Yes, this will be a main seat. One child will use it for 1-1.5 years. The next may use it till expiration (or till too big). I'm hoping this is the last harnessed seat that I will ever buy. (Provided 6 is the limit of kids in out family.)

my2kidsSafe

i would probably do it. Although if you by the 65 and then the seperate pink cover could you sell the original cover that was in new condition to compensate.

ed_tricia

Just a thought-if you are getting a nautilus in a year or so anyway, why not get it now, and then when the younger child needs the radian, buy it then. You can get a nautilus w/ pink cover for $180 or possibly less if you can find a coupon. Are you trying to RF her a little longer in the Radian?
In a seat I wanted my kid to sit in until 8 or 9 or whatever your plan is, I would take their input if we could afford it. I think kids are more likely to climb in without argument if they like the seat. Does the kid getting the Radian next also like pink, cause if she's more of a blue or green type kid, would you want to buy a new cover then?

christineka

We already have the nautilus and plan to hand it down. It is a grey cover and ds is currently using it. Ds will be 7 when I want to move dd to the seat, so I can just buy him a hbb later.If dd still insists on pink, I'll decide then whether to buy a pink cover or not.

The next girl has not yet been born. So far, my other kids were fine in whatever car seat because they didn't know there were cover options. I figure we can leave the next child in ignorance.

skueppers

It's so much easier with younger children who haven't yet developed strong opinons about these things.

I don't think I would personally spend $50 extra to get a car seat in a color my kid liked better. The way I have handled this with my 4-year-old was to pick out the car seat that would meet our needs, and then let her pick from among the available colors. So in this situation, I would let her pick from among the Radian 65 colors, without revealing to her the availability of the more expensive Radian 80 and its color options.

Though I admit I might feel differently in this situation, where the child already has a seat they really like in a particular color. In that case, I might do it. I'd probably justify it to myself by thinking of the extra $50 spent as a gift.

emandbri

I would do it. I've bought cheaper seats in the past in a cover I wasn't crazy about and ended up buying the cover I wanted down the line anyway.

I also like the body pillow on the radian 80. I have a 65 but bought an 80 cover for it, you can see the body pillow being used as a head pillow by my son in my siggy. He does sleep better with the pillow than he did in his old cover without it.

christineka

We used to have a radian 80 because it was on a super sale (old dom). Ds used the body pillow for a head pillow and I, honestly can't imagine using it without except my then 8 year old hated it when she sat in the seat. Dd hasn't had comfy seats, though so she probably wouldn't miss the cushy pillow. She's in a scenera now- used to be in a cosco hbb. She knows nothing of car seat comfort.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC