Question Evenflo Triumph Advance DLX - Latch Strap

twin momma

I just purchased and installed this seat. I think I got a pretty good installation but it was SO HARD to tighten the latch strap that came with the seat. Maybe a longer latch strap might solve this problem? :confused:

Also, I had to re-install the seat because I didn't get the "recline" correctthe first time (I pulled out a level to check it!)... getting the latch hooks to disengage from my car was VERY difficult.

Does anyone know whether Evenflow would sell me a longer latch strap using the alligator-style latch clips? This would make removal and reinstallation so much easier.

ADS

twin momma

I hate it when I answer my own question!

I called Evenflo and I CAN NOT get a longer latch strap. I don't know if it would have helped anyway. Does anyone have any suggestiond for making tightening the strap easier? I am pulling the "free" end of the strap pretty much parallel to the attached strap. Maybe my hands are not strong enough?

I can, however, buy a strap with the alligator clips. That would make my life easier when I have to move the seat. :D

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Nope, no longer straps... they are meant to fit just the standard LATCH configuration (an approved spot with bars that are 11 inches apart), so making them longer would make misuse more easy (putting it in the center where the bars might be up to 23 inches across and the install would be unsafe, for example, in a big SUV).

Try 'undressing' the front of the seat to be able to pull the LATCH strap from the inside...pull back the cover from the whole front end so you can see the belt path and the tail to pull it up and inside the seat. As for loosening... just try to get it as loose as possible, then push the hooks back and give them a half-twist so you can pull them out easily.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
In terms of tightening the LATCH strap I have the easiest time if I brace my thumb on the outside of the belt path and pull with my fingers so that I'm essentially closing my hand together. Poking the tail into the belt path helps a little bit, but not nearly as much as it does with other seats.

If you're really having difficulty getting a tight install using the lower anchors you can always just install the seat with the seatbelt. If you get a better installation with the seatbelt it's preferrable to the lower anchors. :thumbsup:

As for removing the anchors, the trick is to push in the soft piece of metal at the bottom of the anchor, then push the anchor a little towards the seat bite (back of the vehicle,) then turn the anchor sideways, and pull it out. Double check that you're clipping the hooks on the right direction - they're much harder to remove if they're attached upside down. :thumbsup:

Mommy0608

I have the EFTA as well, and have also heard other complaints that the LATCH strap seems short. While it may be shorter than other straps I've used (or maybe it just seems shorter due to the width/construction of the seat), I haven't really had a problem with it.

I agree with what the other ladies have said. Just wanted to add that when removing it, I push the release button on the LATCH strap and shove the seat with my shoulder. Sometimes this helps loosen it enough to remove the hooks if I can't loosen it by pushing the button and pulling up on the LATCH strap.

To tighten the seat, be careful where you're putting pressure. If you're pushing down hard on the seat right over where the LATCH belt is threaded it could be more difficult to tighten. I push down hard in front of the crotch buckle (more toward where DD's feet would be) while pulling up on the tail of the LATCH strap, keeping both portions of the strap parallel. I hope that makes sense.

If it's really difficult, the seatbelt might be easier for you. LATCH isn't necessarily safer than the seatbelt, it's just supposed to be easier... though that obviously isn't always the case. ;)

twin momma

I have an 07 Honda Pilot. The owner's manual says that I need to pull the seatbelt all the way out to convert it so that it will lock. Do I, then, still need to use the clip near the seatbelt buckle?

I have 7 month-old twins so the install needs to be outboard; I don't believe I can get a center install next to the Chicco Key-Fit 30 the smaller guy is riding in. I love the Chicco... they were SOOOOOO easy to install.

ame0312

I have an 07 Honda Pilot. The owner's manual says that I need to pull the seatbelt all the way out to convert it so that it will lock. Do I, then, still need to use the clip near the seatbelt buckle?

I have 7 month-old twins so the install needs to be outboard; I don't believe I can get a center install next to the Chicco Key-Fit 30 the smaller guy is riding in. I love the Chicco... they were SOOOOOO easy to install.

no locking clip...

twin momma

The seatbelt latch (the part that goes into the buckle with the release button) moves freely on the belt. That's not what the locking clip is for? Or would I need it with the type of latch I have only if the belt did not lock? Just want to make sure I understand in case I need to reinstall in another vehicle. I read the manual but never was clear on when I needed the locking clip.

I'm so confused. :confused:

And, THANK YOU!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC