TruFit head slumping...

canmom

I helped a lady last week with a TruFit. Her DS is 7 months and 17.5 lbs or so. We tried installing it a bit more upright due to a small back seat (98' VW Golf) but she said his head was slumping when he slept, so we reclined it more with a rolled towel and it is at about 40 degrees now. She called to tell me he is freaking out when they are getting him in the car seat and that his head is still slumping forward when he falls asleep. I told her we could recline it a little more (I'm not sure if it would make a huge difference though) and as far as the fussing getting into the seat goes, he may just still be getting used to it?? Does anyone have any other ideas for the slumping? I don't know what they are called but I have seen a little U-shaped pillow you can put under their chin to prevent slumping forward... would that type of thing be ok to use?? TIA!

ADS

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
in the truefit?? I can't imagine...that seat sits so far reclined even without a towel under it.....how odd.
He is small enough to have the headrest off, and the seat is so small, I'd see if you can put it at the full 45 degree angle, but otherwise, I'm not sure there is much you can do...
Of course, you could do the 2 rolled up receiving blankets on either side to keep his head from flopping...that's about it.

canmom

Thanks... I don't really get it either, I wasn't sure if other people have found slumping issues with the TF. We could take the top portion off but then the issue would be the TF touching the seats... I believe with the top off it isn't allowed to touch. She also would rather just leave it on because it is only a few lbs. I don't know :confused:

ETA: Maybe some kids just slump their heads more than others??

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
I just did a seat check for a 1YO in a True Fit, we did a 45 degree angle because he wears a plagiocephaly helmet. I can't imagine the average kid having head slump issues in it though.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
How is she defining head slumping? Direct chin to chest, or his head going off to the side? It's only chin to chest that is indicative of the seat being too upright, and with an older baby there isn't the same risk as with a newborn or young baby. If it's the head going to the side, then she can use that little head support if it's enough, or just rolled receiving blankets.

I'm not sure about why he'd otherwise be complaining though. Was he complaining when the seat was installed more upright? :confused:

Maybe clarify on the type of slumping her ds is having, and go from there.

jubgulia

My boys (mostly DS2) had head slumping issues in the True Fit. The chin-to-chest type. I think it is just the shape of their heads and the fact that they have huge noggins (95th percentile). The True Fit head bolsters just made it worse because they were very shallow and angled outward and his head would just roll off them and down.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC