Question Will the ARB on the TF provide any side impact stability?

ZephyrBlue

I'm guessing that the anti-rebound bar on the new TF won't provide the stability in a side impact collision that a rf tether will; am I wrong? Is there any reason that the ARB would be a safer option for a rf convertible seat than one with a rf tether?

ADS

Isn't the safety benefits of rear tethering debateable? There's the australian method, but their usage patterns don't match ours. THere's the swedish method, but their seats are constructed differently than ours.

All in all, the full side impact protection offered by the deep wings should provide more side impact protection than rear tethering would.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I'm guessing that the anti-rebound bar on the new TF won't provide the stability in a side impact collision that a rf tether will; am I wrong? Is there any reason that the ARB would be a safer option for a rf convertible seat than one with a rf tether?

I was able to play with a prototype of the ARB TF, and it was absolutely as stable as a rfing tethered convertible. And I'm not talking the new Britax, "just take the slack out" stable. I mean the old-fashioned Britax installation where you started out nearly upright and cranked down the tether until you had a nice angle and the car seat was "welded to the frame" stable.

delgirrrl

I'm in NZ where predominantly we use Australian seats, which for RF seats have ARB and overhead (australian) tethering, thus preventing forward rotation and rebound. I don't think there is any side impact protection, it's just about the front and rear stability of the seat in impact.

ZephyrBlue

Kimberly, could you rock it side to side? I know that with a Britax convertible tethered RF, I can rock my vehicle but the seat doesn't budge. I'm wondering if/how the ARB on the TF would affect side movement in a collision.

sparkyd

Personally, I'm more comfortable with the ARB concept than with RF tethering in a vehicle that doesn't have dedicated anchors for that purpose. Too many unknowns for me with the tethers. :twocents:

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Kimberly, could you rock it side to side? I know that with a Britax convertible tethered RF, I can rock my vehicle but the seat doesn't budge. I'm wondering if/how the ARB on the TF would affect side movement in a collision.

Well it was a test bench, not a car, but pushing on the top of the seat just tipped the test bench. The TF didn't rotate in relation to the bench at all.

Pixels

I think it would be mistaken to think that if you can't move it by hand, that it won't move in a crash. We know that a rock-the-car solid install will give and move in a crash due to the forces involved. So even if you can't rotate the ARB TF by hand does not mean that it won't rotate to the side in a crash. Vehicle seat cushions compress. :twocents:

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I think it absolutely does provide SOME SIP, because it is wide, so it is like having a second base tp ush into the seat cushions on the side away from the impact, so yes, it will do *some*thing....how much i have no idea.

Pixels

SOME additional SIP, yes, but not near as much as top tethering Swedish style, which is basically what the OPs question was.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC