Numbers comparison: Tribute, Scenera, and Avenue

christineka

My pg anxiety comes in the form of obsessing over car seats... I've been measuring my convertible seats today in trying to decide what's best. I thought I'd share in case anyone is interested. Sorry, no pictures because dh won't give me back my computer and put lynix on the spare, which for some reason he can't figure out, won't work with the camera (or a dozen other programs). The tribute is the older, 3 slotted version with EPS foam. All measurements in inches. The slot measurements are to the bottom of the slots. (I had this nice chart all set up and I guess that doesn't work with message boards. Oh well)

Interior: Slots:

Tribute

Scenera

Avenue

Thigh straps (across):
Tribute: 7
Scenera 8
Avenue 9.5

Distance to crotch buckle:
Tribute 5.5
Scenera 4, 5, 6
Avenue 4, 5, 6 (FF only)

Seat depth:
Tribute 12
Scenera 11
Avenue 12

Height in seat:
Tribute 22
Scenera 23
Avenue 24.5

Shoulder room (just under top slots):
Tribute 10.5
Scenera 11.5
Avenue 9.5

Exterior width:
Tribute 16
Scenera 17.5
Avenue 18.5

Base width:
Tribute 15
Scenera 17.5
Avenue 18.5

If you were picking from among these 3 (already ahd them, so didn't have to spend any money), which do you think would be best for a newborn?

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Based on the numbers, the Scenera is most newborn-friendly, but I think the Avenue is a lot cushier and comfier and I'd like the EPS foam more...I guess it would just depend if it fits ok? The Tribute might be ok for a little while, but that horribly large gap between the bottom and middle slots means it really doesn't fit a lot of kids very well from like 4-12 months (straps have to curve SO far down over the shoulders I'm concerned about spinal compression injuries or the seat just not even holding the kid in in a side impact, or the straps just plain old falling off the shoulders).

Andie

I hated the Tribute rear facing. The adjuster is sticky, and every time I tightened it, the seat would end up too reclined. The Avenue is great, but with 9.5" bottom slots, it most likely wouldn't work well for newborns.

I had my son in the Scenera as a main seat almost since birth (first couple months we had a Tribute, we now have an Uptown) and it fit well. We used rolled receiving blankets on his sides to prevent slouching, and a pyramid of pool noodles for correct recline.

Kat_Momof3

for a newborn... the scenera.

long term use... the avenue.

I'd probably get a really inexpensive evenflo discovery infant seat (hey, at least they have 5-point harnesses and eps foam now)... because while it's not the easiest seat, I know I'd use it correctly (and I have space enough for the handle)... and then follow up with the Avenue.

christineka

I wish cosco would make some foam for the scenera. My tribute was the bare bones safe kids version, but I ordered the foam along with the two piece chest clip from evenflo. There's also a body support pad available for the tribute and I wondered if that would help with the slot heights at all or not. I really like the avenue, but that bottom slot is pretty high. The infant insert thing that came with it looks like it would be pretty useless, plus, I can't imagine how many pool noodles would be needed to get a 45 degree recline. I already have 3 for an approx. 30 degree recline. I have more of a recline with the tribute without anything. I could probably add one noodle to get a 45 degree recline.

In looking at other convertibles, I really like the priori, but $200 for it is insane. The eta and true fit sound great, but I'm not sure I want to go with a very wide seat- I may have to get rid of it if I have to rearrange seats. I've now got hope that I can just buy a radian for an older child and choose from these three seats for my baby.

christineka

Just wanted to let you know that when I measure my avenue I get 16.5-16.75" for top slots :)

Did you take the pad off? The pad's slits at that point are quite a bit higher than the actual slots. I also measured to the bottom of the slots, not the top.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC