Heard from Sunshine Kids about the XT head wings interfering with the harness

glockchick

They said it's ok for the head wings to cover up the harness. They recommend raising the head wings to adjust the harness and then lowering it after you have it tight.

The problem I ran into with this solution is that when I lowered them down over an already tight harness, it cinched it down even more and hurt my daughter's shoulders. However if I left it looser to account for this, I'd be afraid that it would be too loose in a crash, basically that the head wings were just making it feel snug when it wasn't.

Also, I adjust the harness almost every time a child gets in the seat to accommodate for different clothes and such. There is no way I want to have to crawl in the 3rd row, raise the head wings up, adjust the seat, and then reposition them. It's tricky to position the head wings with dd in the seat in the house where I can walk behind her to mess with it, and I found it almost impossible with her in the seat in the car.

I know this is not a popular opinion, but I don't care for the design of this seat at all. :duck:

ADS

scatterbunny

I don't understand how it could be okay for the headrest/wings to be pushing down on the harness; I know the manufacturer probably knows best, but it just doesn't seem right to me.

You aren't the only one who doesn't love the design, that's for sure. I really want to love it, but the wings should be usable for children of all sizes (like the Britax seats with adjustable wings), not just the bigger/taller/older kids, and the wings, when properly placed, shouldn't interfere with the harness.

glockchick

Glad to hear I'm not alone. I've seen so many post talking about how great the XT is so I thought it was the general consensus. That whole ASSuming thing. ;) :blush:

fyrfightermomma

Glad to hear I'm not alone. I've seen so many post talking about how great the XT is so I thought it was the general consensus. That whole ASSuming thing. ;) :blush:

Ha....wasn't my threads :) I can't stand the thing. I understand SIP but theirs seems so freaking weird and illogical that I am not sure why I bought it.

sirrahn

:thumbsup:It's always seemed to me that they should just concentrate on the 65. Give it a wider variety of covers, maybe sell the nice infant inserts (not just the comfy soft) with it or as an accessory and be done with it.

Both the 80 and the XT seem kind of gimmicky in a way IMO especially for the relatively big difference in price that doesn't really give you much of anything.

Kat_Momof3

yours IS the popular opinion.

we were all really excited about the design and everything... till people started getting their hands on it.

Then it's been disappointing.

AtTheSouthDam

I also think one is led to believe they are so wonderful by all the excitement and anticipation leading up to it's release.

The XT is not a bad seat. It is the first on the market to release a seat with head wings independant of the harness. It sets a new goal for other manufacturers. Now they, or Sunshine kids, have to improve on it. Much like Britax releasing the first 65 lbs harnessed seat. Eventually it caught on and many more companies are doing it and improving it.

I do agree the harness issue is annoying and the answer does not sound right. A littel more thought could have gone in to the design. But that is what happens with the first release. Now, they'll take our feed back, hopefully, and improve it.

That said I do actually like this seat. But then I like the Como, too.. :D

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
I really like the XT, but I can't say that I would if I had a child who couldn't use the head wings.

For what I need it for, it's absolutely perfect!

Mama Jo

I'll be buying an XT - somewhat grudgingly - for a FF'ing 4 year old. She'll be able to use the headwings. I would definitely not purchase it for a newborn or a smaller kiddo, which frustrates me because it's a convertible seat - you should be able to use it (and all of its features) for what it was intented for.

I'm buying it because I need it for a 3-across situation and I think it's my best bet. I do wish they made the 65 in an XT... there's no way none of the kids I have will ever make it past 65 lbs in it, anyway. I hate paying for the extra 15 lbs when I won't ever be able to get an extra 15 lbs of usage out of it. 80 lbs just seems ridiculous with the height of the top harness slot... but sometimes you end up having to spend money on "features" you don't want or need to get something else you do want or need... (like paying extra for the BLVD CS to get the cowmoo cover :whistle:)

glockchick

The child I was trying to use it with is a ff 4 year old. Her shoulders are just above the 4th harness setting so I had to move to the top one. With the harness all the way there, the head wings are too high if they're not covering the top of the harness above her shoulder.

I also need it for 3 across and was really disappointed that I couldn't even install it in the center and fit a booster on either side. :(

We'd never need the 80 lbs either. My 9 year old isn't even 80 lbs yet.

Mama Jo

The child I was trying to use it with is a ff 4 year old. Her shoulders are just above the 4th harness setting so I had to move to the top one. With the harness all the way there, the head wings are too high if they're not covering the top of the harness above her shoulder.

One of the techs here will have to confirm for sure, but I was told on here that the radian is actually approved for usage FF'ing with the harness slots below the shoulders. Supposedly it's the only seat that has been tested and you can do that with. So maybe if thats true, you can leave it at the lower slot until the headrest would fit her better in the higher slot. Especially if they're that close. I'm not sure if this can be done with any slot, or with just the top slot. But I'd double check before you return it!

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
One of the techs here will have to confirm for sure, but I was told on here that the radian is actually approved for usage FF'ing with the harness slots below the shoulders. Supposedly it's the only seat that has been tested and you can do that with. So maybe if thats true, you can leave it at the lower slot until the headrest would fit her better in the higher slot. Especially if they're that close. I'm not sure if this can be done with any slot, or with just the top slot. But I'd double check before you return it!
I thought this was only for the top slots.

glockchick

Here is exactly what I was told.

Re: head-rest > in the manual we suggest adjusting the harness straps first (with the head rest in a higher position) and then lowering the head rest after. The head rest being a tiny bit too low or high is not going to impact the safety.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Tiny bit too high or tiny bit too low is not the same as the headrest actually pressing the shoulder straps downward so they hurt your DD's shoulders or having to loosen the straps so the headrest makes them tight. It seems to me they have not understood your issue.

Last edited:

Mama Jo

I don't actually read that as *permission* to put the headrest over the harness straps...

You might want to check with them as to whether or not the shoulders being slightly above the harness straps is ok for just the top harness slot or for any of them. I don't think I've seen or read a difinitive answer one way or the other.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
The head rest should NOT be going over the harness.

It should be adjusted to just above the harness slot you are using. It will still provide ample head protection in the higher position.

zeo2ski

And the "over the slots" FFing is only for the top slots--just check your manual it's pretty clear I think.

glockchick

I've decided to return the seat anyway because I can't adjust it when it's installed very easily.

I still don't see how it could be any way but over the straps if you move it down at all when the child is on the highest harness position. When the head wings are all the way up, they are just barely above the harness straps. :dunno: I should have taken pictures with the cover off to show you what I mean.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC