Limo question

Misty-Bug

I am sure I will get an install just fine but I still have a question.

My brother is renting a limo for our trip to the airport on the 5th. It is a 16 passenger 2007 Ford Expedition. The owner said that it is bucket seats with a lap/shoulder belt. I have had to install my radian with a lap/shoulder belt and am aware as to how to do that.
The thing is the guy told me to bring a towel to put under it. Guess it is because of the leather seats. I have this towel:

February232009002.jpg

it is fairly thin and VERY long so it should cover the whole seat. My question is do you think that will be ok? Sounds like he wants to protect the seat. I am worried about not getting a proper install because it will be like a seat cover. But he may be ok with it just on the part you sit on. I just don't want something to happen to the seat and my brother get screwed out of $$ or something. So do you think that towel is going to be ok? You better believe I am taking pictures of that sucker when it is installed!

ADS

Misty-Bug

I have a bit of a concern. I have a feeling they will want it behind the whole car seat. Covering the whole vehicle seat. Will that impede my install?

Kat_Momof3

it might actually help, too, if the leather is really slippery... and that towel is so nice and thin it won't interfere with install.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Are you sure the vehicle seats are forward-facing? (I'd imagine at least some of them are, but I'd also want to make certain.)

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Making sure all of the limo passengers buckle up is also crucial because heaven forbid they don't buckle up and then become potential projectiles impacting other properly restrained passengers, such as you or your sweet little one in a crash. :eek: It's a common misconception for limo riders to assume a limo is uber safe and forgo buckling up. :( Forgive me if I'm reading too much between the lines, but I figure if a 16-passenger vehicle is being rented, it's likely going to transport multiple passengers, and it's worth mentioning the importance of everyone buckling up properly in the limo, especially for lurkers.

Misty-Bug

Are you sure the vehicle seats are forward-facing? (I'd imagine at least some of them are, but I'd also want to make certain.)

I called and asked. He said that the one by the door is a bucket seat and is FFing. That I will be able to install no problem. That people do it in that limo.

Making sure all of the limo passengers buckle up is also crucial because heaven forbid they don't buckle up and then become potential projectiles impacting other properly restrained passengers, such as you or your sweet little one in a crash. :eek: It's a common misconception for limo riders to assume a limo is uber safe and forgo buckling up. :( Forgive me if I'm reading too much between the lines, but I figure if a 16-passenger vehicle is being rented, it's likely going to transport multiple passengers, and it's worth mentioning the importance of everyone buckling up properly in the limo, especially for lurkers.

Yes I think it is important but there is no way I will be able to convince everyone to buckle up. My brother is already giving me flack for bringing a carseat!! :eek: I will be buckled. I am worried. Maybe I should just take my own car. The thing is my MIL would have to drive us. Maybe that will be better. It won't phase Cooper as to whether or not he gets the experience

Yoshi

I would most definitely get up your mommy courage and insist everyone buckle up. Have your DH also speak up. I MAKE my adult passengers buckle up when riding with me- and I know you are not the driver- but what do they think would happen in an accident? Car seats are mandatory, and you need it on the plane anyway- so tell your BIL to mind his own business.

Misty-Bug

I would most definitely get up your mommy courage and insist everyone buckle up. Have your DH also speak up. I MAKE my adult passengers buckle up when riding with me- and I know you are not the driver- but what do they think would happen in an accident? Car seats are mandatory, and you need it on the plane anyway- so tell your BIL to mind his own business.

oh I already told my brother to stuff it but not in so few words. I am talking to Phil and he is going to buckle up as well. I hope everyone else does but I can't make them because I am not the driver. It is a pretty big vehicle. I told Phil maybe we should just take my car. He is saying that it will be fine. I will probably put Cooper on the side that is not in line with the side facing seats. If that makes sense.

ok I am feeling sick to my stomach and like I shouldn't even do this. That I should take my own car. But then I have to get my MIL out of bed so we don't have to pay $100 in parking. Wahhhhhh.....I thought I felt ok with the decision but now I am second guessing it......

zeo2ski

I came on here with a limo question a couple months ago--my 2 year old DS was ring bearer for BIL's wedding and they wanted him and 2 y.o. flower girl on the limo and everything. After the responses I got here, I drove him myself and it was no big deal. But I was very upset that they still took the other 2 y.o. on the limo (w/o even a carseat!) anyway.

Here is the link to the thread where I asked my question. I never updated the final results, but it turned out to be not just across the parking lot but driving miles and miles with several stops for pictures, in a white out-roads-completely-covered snow storm, it was an actual bus with only side facing seats and zero seat belts.:thumbsdown:

Misty-Bug

we are going to just take my car, get my MIL to drive us

looking at the pictures I don't like the looks of all the glasses and stuff that COULD fly at us in an accident. It is a 16 passenger limo and some of the bucket seats are going to be folded down for the gear. So I will just put the trunk cover in my car and have the cover over the luggage and everything.

Misty-Bug

ok here is the thing. I told my mom we are going to just take my car. My MIL offered to pay for us to park the car at the airport so she didn't have to drive us in. I told my mom we are going to stick to my car because I know everyone will have seatbelts on and no projectiles.

My brother said that they will get the limo driver to not have the glasses in there but the thing is that I can't guarantee people will be wearing belts. So i am really not sure. I feel like I am being the downer to the whole trip. But I think we are going to stick to the using my car. I thought I felt fine with it and they are trying to accomodate (sp?) me. I just am not sure what to do. I thought it would be ok if they move the glasses, then I can put Cooper on that side where there are no people directly in front of him. They will move all the stuff. Am I crazy? Should I stick to using my own car?

Mama Jo

Regardless of whether or not it would be "ok"... if it makes you that nervous, you won't enjoy it anyway, so what's the point really? I can't think of a time I've ever heard of a limo in a serious collision, which is not to say it's never happened or it couldn't happen, however, if it did happen, then the answer to your question would be, no, it's not "ok" for numerous full-grown adults to be flying around the inside of a vehicle where you're trying to keep your little one safe.

I make everyone in my car buckle their seatbelts, and if I happen to ride in someone else's car, I make everyone buckle their seatbelts as well. If they don't or won't, I just won't ride with them. So, if it was me in your situation, chances are, I'd take my own car if I had the option.

Mommy0608

There have been serious crashes involving limos and improperly restrained passengers... there was a very sad story on Oprah about one (I think the story was mentioned in the link provided in this thread, but I didn't go back to reread to see if that's the one I'm thinking of).

Anyway, if I were in your shoes, I'd take my children in a separate vehicle. There's no way I would ever allow them to ride in a vehicle if every passenger was not buckled. I was at a seminar on Friday and they showed videos (simulated scenarios, I'm sure) of what happens in vehicles when even one passenger is unrestrained in a crash. It's really scary. :(

Oh, and I also want to mention that there is a monumental difference in unbelted passengers in a limo vs. a school bus, incase anyone is thinking about this. School buses are designed to protect passengers through compartmentalization, which truly works, however limos are not built this way, and unrestrained passengers will move throughout the cabin of the limo, potentially striking other passengers in a crash.

HEVY

I would just take my own car. Even if they removed all the glass and everyone said they will wear a belt, you wouldn't be 100% sure they would, or if you get there and the situation is as you first expected.

winterlights08

There have been serious crashes involving limos and improperly restrained passengers... there was a very sad story on Oprah about one (I think the story was mentioned in the link provided in this thread, but I didn't go back to reread to see if that's the one I'm thinking of).

I just wanted to say that if it's the same story I'm thinking of from the limo thread a few months ago...that story still haunts me and makes my stomach turn whenever I think about it. I think a 6 year old girl named Katie was involved, and that hits a little too close to home around here. I can't imagine what that poor mother must have gone through :(

I would drive in my own car also.

Jenifer

Misti - - Just a thought. I can't believe limos are exempt from Canadian seat belt laws? Check with the owner. Here in the US the driver would be the one cited, so it may be in his best interest to have everyone buckled.

Misty-Bug

Thanks everyone.

Even if they removed all the glass and everyone said they will wear a belt, you wouldn't be 100% sure they would, or if you get there and the situation is as you first expected.

That is exactly it....

I just wanted to say that if it's the same story I'm thinking of from the limo thread a few months ago...that story still haunts me and makes my stomach turn whenever I think about it. I think a 6 year old girl named Katie was involved, and that hits a little too close to home around here. I can't imagine what that poor mother must have gone through :(

I would drive in my own car also.

and yes if it is the same story I am thinking of (the reason I didn't open the link) it makes me sick. Phil and I talked again this morning. I am going to phone my brother and thank him VERY much for including us but I just am not comfortable with it. He will give me flack because he already has about the car seat.
I don't get included in my family things often so that is one of the things that was making me feel guilty. The thing is that if something were to happen to Cooper, Phil or myself (even on the off chance) I would NOT be able to live with myself. So we are going to take MY car and arrive early. We are going to leave our house at about 6 probably. They aren't leaving until 7. So I feel more comfortable about that too. I don't know how long this will take with checking in. Then I don't have to limit my luggage either. :eek:
I think Someone might be trying to tell me something considering I just am not comfortable with it. Guess I should listen. LOL!

I get to start packing next week and I am excited about that.

zeo2ski

Yes, it is the same story you all are thinking of. Horrible.

Misti - - Just a thought. I can't believe limos are exempt from Canadian seat belt laws? Check with the owner. Here in the US the driver would be the one cited, so it may be in his best interest to have everyone buckled.

They are exempt in the US too, but it varies by state I'm sure. In NY anyway, they are exempt.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC