Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!


 

Sponsored Ads

View Poll Results: WWYD?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Turn him FF -at 3 the added safety RF isn't a big issue

    26 78.79%
  • Buy a 35lb RF seat -at just 3 the safety still outway FF

    7 21.21%
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Carseat Crazy
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    348

    3 years old: RF or FF?

    I would love input on this from a poll perspective.

    My DS is 34 months old. He is almost 29lbs and 38.5" tall.

    He is currently RF in a Marathon. Being that here in Canada our Marathon's are only weighted to 30lbs RF I am going to have to turn him soon or buy a 35lb RF seat.

    So what would you do in this situation?
    Jasmyne

    T ~ 7.8yrs ~ 48lbs ~ Skurvy Oobr Booster
    L ~ 4.6yrs ~ 35lbs ~ FF Frontier (harnessed)

  2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads
    Join Date
    April, 2001
    Posts
    Many
     
     

  3. #2
    CPS Technician
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    3,680

    Re: 3 years old: RF or FF?

    If your current seat rf to 35#, I'd say keep him rfing. But since you have to buy a whole new seat and you have a perfectly fine MA already, I'd turn him.
    Jennifer, Special Needs CPST, peds nurse, and CSFTL Admin mom to:
    AJ-13 (five steps), Evan-11 (nbb),
    Ilana-9 (nbb) ,
    Olivia-7 (hbb), and
    Unity-3 (rf and ff)

  4. #3
    CPS Technician bobandjess99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,955

    Re: 3 years old: RF or FF?

    Quote Originally Posted by thepeach80 View Post
    If your current seat rf to 35#, I'd say keep him rfing. But since you have to buy a whole new seat and you have a perfectly fine MA already, I'd turn him.
    I agree with this, but would add a...clause. It would depend on the means of my family and whether the cost mattered. I'm not sure how much a 35 lb CA seat would be...?? but if the cost were going to matter to my family/cause us to go without something else, etc, i wouldn't spend the money, not at 3yo...but, I know to some families, a couple hundred $$ really isn't anything..they would spend that on a nice night out with some dinner, wine, etc..so if that is the case, then I would buy a 35 lb seat.

    Alex, 8 Katie, 12 and Annabelle Jan 2017

  5. #4
    Carseat Crazy
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    348

    Re: 3 years old: RF or FF?

    Quote Originally Posted by bobandjess99 View Post
    I agree with this, but would add a...clause. It would depend on the means of my family and whether the cost mattered. I'm not sure how much a 35 lb CA seat would be...?? but if the cost were going to matter to my family/cause us to go without something else, etc, i wouldn't spend the money, not at 3yo...but, I know to some families, a couple hundred $$ really isn't anything..they would spend that on a nice night out with some dinner, wine, etc..so if that is the case, then I would buy a 35 lb seat.
    I am looking at the TrueFit which I have a raincheck for from when it was on sale so it would cost me $150+tax canadian. Not too bad price wise but I just don't know if I should or not.
    Jasmyne

    T ~ 7.8yrs ~ 48lbs ~ Skurvy Oobr Booster
    L ~ 4.6yrs ~ 35lbs ~ FF Frontier (harnessed)

  6. #5
    CPS Technician Splash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NOT Florida
    Posts
    3,565

    Re: 3 years old: RF or FF?

    I'd continue to use the seat until 33 pounds (its minimum tested weight) and turn then. However, if you wish to remain in the letter of the sticker law, I would turn him at 30 pounds in the seat he is in. UNLESS you are also going to stop using the MA FF at 48 pounds but could use hte TF to 65 pounds. If that would be the case, I'd get the TF.
    I'm glad you're a safe driver. I'm eating cereal and applying mascara using my rear view mirror while playing bejeweled on my iPhone. And I'm driving right behind you. 
    You're only as safe as the most dangerous driver on the road. Buckle accordingly.  

  7. #6
    Carseat Crazy
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    348

    Re: 3 years old: RF or FF?

    Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    I'd continue to use the seat until 33 pounds (its minimum tested weight) and turn then. However, if you wish to remain in the letter of the sticker law, I would turn him at 30 pounds in the seat he is in. UNLESS you are also going to stop using the MA FF at 48 pounds but could use hte TF to 65 pounds. If that would be the case, I'd get the TF.
    No actually this weekend we picked up a Frontier for my oldest DS and handed down his MA to my youngest which is newer and goes to 65lbs FF. He is still RF in it but I just figured I would mention it because of your comment about the max seat weights.

    The long term plan is to have DS#1 use the Frontier hopefully for about another year or so then get him a dedicated booster like the Monterey (or similar depending on what is on the market at that point) and hand down the Frontier to DS#2.
    Jasmyne

    T ~ 7.8yrs ~ 48lbs ~ Skurvy Oobr Booster
    L ~ 4.6yrs ~ 35lbs ~ FF Frontier (harnessed)

  8. #7
    Senior Community Member mommyto4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    293

    Re: 3 years old: RF or FF?

    Depends on your financial situation. If you have the money and you want to keep him RF, buy the TF. If not, keep the Marathon and turn him FF when you have too. I would not have a problem turning a 3 year old FF. I realize that RF is safest, but at 3 and 30 pounds I would be fine either way.
    Melinda-mom to 4 rugrats

Similar Threads

  1. 2.5 Years Old - RF or FF?
    By Blondie87 in forum CAR SEATS - General Child Safety Seat Questions, Help and Advice
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 11-18-2008, 11:20 PM
  2. Red Power Ranger Costume 4-6 years and Red Spiderman Costume 2-4 years
    By doriansmummy in forum Carseat Swap: Buy and Sell Used Child Safety Seats
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-07-2008, 11:40 AM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •