You know you're a carseat geek when...

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
When you get excited at the prospect of going to Ikea mainly because you can pick up a couple of free tape measures. Always handy to have for measuring harness slots in carseats and children's height/torso heights, lol. ;)

ADS

UlrikeDG

missyprissy82 said:
I love Ikea's childrens and kitchen things!!!

:-( Ours is 4 hrs away.

In Germany, we had two within 30 minutes of us (the 2nd one was built while we were there). Here, the closest Ikea is 4 hours, too.

Jeanum

Staff member
Yup, Ikea is pretty cool and I also love their kids stuff. It's amazing how you could furnish an entire house if you wanted. I didn't realize they even have their own line of kitchen appliances until an Ikea store opened in June about 25 miles away from me. Before the new store opened, the closest one was in the Chicago area, easily 3.5 or 4 hours away. I've been to the new local one about three times just in the past couple of weeks alone checking the place out and taking curious family members there. My Sienna works well for hauling stuff, so I've been "volunteered" to do the driving and Ikea item hauling for relatives recently, lol. I'm more into going for the tape measures and to browse right now after doing some serious shopping for a couple of items on the first trip there, lol.

skipspin

Never been to Ikea, the closest one is 6-8 hours and every time we go by it it's the middle of the night. LOL.

I'm hoping to go there when DD and I possibly drive to TN in October. I'm thinking I may furnish the baby's room from there unless I find something better.

My sister drives from Nashville to the Atalanta Ikea about every three months, so maybe she could bring stuff down if it doesn't work out for me to stop...I can dream.

super_grape

Maybe the cribs have changed because the ones at our Ikea
seem to me to be the same size as a normal crib....or at least
their crib sheets fit on my non-Ikea mattress:) .
I like the style of them...I'm not a fan of the drop-side and LOVE
how they are closer to the ground. That's a great feature if you
end up with a climber:p .
I have wanted one for ages but our first crib was given to us
(can't argue with free, lol) and when we bought the current crib we
were nowhere near an Ikea....oh well.

Simplysomething

Heh, I dunno where the closest on is to me. Probably the same one you mentioned. lol

I get the catalogue though. Just because. lol

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
My best friend has an Ikea crib (Diktad). She has a non Ikea mattress like you would buy at BRU in it. It fits great.

She actually got the crib I would like to have one day. It's got stationary sides. And it's lower to the ground----which is good for me since I'm short! It also converts to a toddler bed---which doesn't matter one way or the other to me. The real kicker is that it only costs like $129!!!

Susan

Lara

I LOVE Ikea. Its about an hour away from us (in AZ).

I've never though about using their tape measures for carseats. I keep a small sewing tape measure in my diaper bag, on the off chance that we stop at usa baby or something and I have the mad urge to measure a seat LOL.

Lara

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
skaterbabscpst said:
I like the Ikea stuff, but the closest one is in DC, I think....

The closest one probably is in Woodbridge, VA (Potomac Mills). There aren't many! The only other one I know about is in College Park, MD. I *think* there is one in Baltimore too. But the closest one to Richmond is probably that Woodbridge one. :)

skaterbabs

I don't doubt it! It stinks, the closest LL Bean is up that way too. *pout* We don't get any really cool stores here.

LEAW

Yep, Ikea cribs sold in the US meet the US standards now. Much better. They used to not be that size.

I live in the bermuda triangle - Ikea 2 hrs east, 3 hrs northwest, and 4 hrs south of me.... the 3 hr away store is by far the best stocked of the three, as it's on a major shipping port, while the other 2 are landlocked, so their stock in big stuff seems to be hit or miss.

The tape measures are a great thing to grab, we have one in nearly every bag, purse, wallet, etc. around here. My mother was a textiles major and always had a measuring tape with her (and still does) and I guess it's a habit that stuck.

:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC