Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar

You know you're a carseat geek when...

When you get excited at the prospect of going to Ikea mainly because you can pick up a couple of free tape measures. Always handy to have for measuring harness slots in carseats and children's height/torso heights, lol.
    Regards,
    Jean

DD1 Age 14, 65" 5 steps
    DD2 Age 11, 61" 5 steps

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

I imagine I'll be spending a fortune there when I buy a house later this year

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus UlrikeDG's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by missyprissy82
    I love Ikea's childrens and kitchen things!!!

:-( Ours is 4 hrs away.
    In Germany, we had two within 30 minutes of us (the 2nd one was built while we were there). Here, the closest Ikea is 4 hours, too.
    Ulrike, mom to:
    Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)

See an inappropriate post? Don't reply to it; report it!
    Thanks for your help in keeping this a safe, SPAM-free zone!

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar
    Yup, Ikea is pretty cool and I also love their kids stuff. It's amazing how you could furnish an entire house if you wanted. I didn't realize they even have their own line of kitchen appliances until an Ikea store opened in June about 25 miles away from me. Before the new store opened, the closest one was in the Chicago area, easily 3.5 or 4 hours away. I've been to the new local one about three times just in the past couple of weeks alone checking the place out and taking curious family members there. My Sienna works well for hauling stuff, so I've been "volunteered" to do the driving and Ikea item hauling for relatives recently, lol. I'm more into going for the tape measures and to browse right now after doing some serious shopping for a couple of items on the first trip there, lol.
    Regards,
    Jean

DD1 Age 14, 65" 5 steps
    DD2 Age 11, 61" 5 steps

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar

Never been to Ikea, the closest one is 6-8 hours and every time we go by it it's the middle of the night. LOL.

I'm hoping to go there when DD and I possibly drive to TN in October. I'm thinking I may furnish the baby's room from there unless I find something better.

My sister drives from Nashville to the Atalanta Ikea about every three months, so maybe she could bring stuff down if it doesn't work out for me to stop...I can dream.

9 yr old in a pink zebra NBB and 5-stepping
    6 yr DS1 old in a Harmony
    4 yr old DS2 in a Nautilus and Radian
    18 mo DS3 rfing in a MyRide65

Senior Community Member super_grape's Avatar
    Maybe the cribs have changed because the ones at our Ikea
    seem to me to be the same size as a normal crib....or at least
    their crib sheets fit on my non-Ikea mattress .
    I like the style of them...I'm not a fan of the drop-side and LOVE
    how they are closer to the ground. That's a great feature if you
    end up with a climber .
    I have wanted one for ages but our first crib was given to us
    (can't argue with free, lol) and when we bought the current crib we
    were nowhere near an Ikea....oh well.

I like the Ikea stuff, but the closest one is in DC, I think....
    Rebekah Branch, CPST from May 2005 until June 2011
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    "That which you create in beauty and goodness and truth lives on."
    - Denis Waitley

Heh, I dunno where the closest on is to me. Probably the same one you mentioned. lol

I get the catalogue though. Just because. lol
    apparently, people put stuff here.
    imagine:
    photos of my extremely adorable spawn.
    their stats and a
    witty quote.

posted from my computer using the internet...
    Super SEEEEKRIT stuff here.

CPS Technician
    My best friend has an Ikea crib (Diktad). She has a non Ikea mattress like you would buy at BRU in it. It fits great.

She actually got the crib I would like to have one day. It's got stationary sides. And it's lower to the ground----which is good for me since I'm short! It also converts to a toddler bed---which doesn't matter one way or the other to me. The real kicker is that it only costs like $129!!!

Susan
    Mommy to my angel, Ethan Daniel (8/5/07-8/6/07)
    Mommy to Nicholas (12-29-08) RF'ed to 2.75 yrs in Graco MyRide(crashed) and a True Fit Primier. FF in the TFP and a Graco Nautilus Elite. Nicholas is 2.75 yrs old, 32 lbs and 36" tall.
    Child Passenger Safety Tech

I LOVE Ikea. Its about an hour away from us (in AZ).

I've never though about using their tape measures for carseats. I keep a small sewing tape measure in my diaper bag, on the off chance that we stop at usa baby or something and I have the mad urge to measure a seat LOL.

Lara

Car-Seat.org Ambassador Patriot201's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skaterbabscpst
    I like the Ikea stuff, but the closest one is in DC, I think....
    The closest one probably is in Woodbridge, VA (Potomac Mills). There aren't many! The only other one I know about is in College Park, MD. I *think* there is one in Baltimore too. But the closest one to Richmond is probably that Woodbridge one.

I don't doubt it! It stinks, the closest LL Bean is up that way too. *pout* We don't get any really cool stores here.
    Rebekah Branch, CPST from May 2005 until June 2011
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    "That which you create in beauty and goodness and truth lives on."
    - Denis Waitley

Carseat Crazy
    Yep, Ikea cribs sold in the US meet the US standards now. Much better. They used to not be that size.

I live in the bermuda triangle - Ikea 2 hrs east, 3 hrs northwest, and 4 hrs south of me.... the 3 hr away store is by far the best stocked of the three, as it's on a major shipping port, while the other 2 are landlocked, so their stock in big stuff seems to be hit or miss.

The tape measures are a great thing to grab, we have one in nearly every bag, purse, wallet, etc. around here. My mother was a textiles major and always had a measuring tape with her (and still does) and I guess it's a habit that stuck.