Three across in a Kia Rondo???

U

Unregistered

Hello all. I am hoping someone will be able to tell me how to make this work. I have a 2007 Kia Rondo. It is a 7 passenger BUT the back seat is less then a foot from the hatch. I am not going to put one of my children that close to the back of the car!!! So I am expecting baby number three and trying to find a way to get all three seats across the middle row. Right now DS1 is in a compass booster which is wide, and DS2 is in a generations which is wide so there is almost no room in the middle for baby. I would really like to stay in a high back booster for DS1, DS2 could be in a high back booster by then too as he will be very close to 6 (in grade one) when the baby is born. Any suggestions for narrow seats to get everyone safely in??? I have had two backless boosters and the generations seat in together BUT the seats overlap the belt bath for each other (which I would imagine creates a risk of accidentally un-doing the seat beside) AND hang over the edges of the vehicle seat which I doubt is safe. My other option is to drive hubbies GMC Sierra all the time but then I am stuck driving a huge tank of a vehicle which doesn't have as many safety features....
Anyway thanks for your suggestions.

ADS

mommycat

I am just wondering, why do you not want to put any kids in the back row? Is it just that the seat is so close to a flat surface with no trunk as a buffer zone and it "feels" unsafe? Or is there a documented issue with these seating positions being less safe that I haven't heard of? I am clueless on anything besides passenger cars.

It might also help if we had your kids' weights and heights to help suggest suitable seats. Depending on your DS2's size, he may be better off still harnessed if he is small. Depending on his size, he may still fit into a Sunshine Kids Radian for a while, this is a very narrow seat (17" at it's widest, and only 14" at the seating area),
radian_det_tab_specs_01.jpg

and then when baby gets out of the infant seat you can hand the Radian down and get a booster for DS2 at that time (I am assuming you want an infant bucket seat for the baby at first? If not we can suggest some convertibles which fit small babies well - the Radian is one of them). Another option is the Graco Cargo (with front adjust) which would be a narrow combination seat that has similar top slots and weight limit as the Generations.

I believe that the Sunshine Kids Monterey is a nice high/low back booster which is quite narrow in the seating area, this might be a good option for DS1 if you still need to shave off more room after you choose new seats for the other two:
monterey-dimensions.jpg

For the baby, if you are looking for a baby bucket, the Graco Safe Seat (coming out now as the SnugRide32) would last the baby a long time and is great to use and install, but it isn't really the narrowest option. The regular SnugRide is only a little narrower. The Gracos tend to be the more recommended seats because they are easier to install and use. This thread talked a bit about narrow infant seats but I am not so sure if they are all available in Canada? Hopefully someone else will tell you more about infant seats if you choose to get one.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC