Expiration /was Re: Nautilus expiration

U

Unregistered

So basically, my daughter is 7 and a half months old, getting really close to the end of her infant car seat... if i was to buy this car seat, I would still have to buy another one when she is... 6 and a half? :(

ADS

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Re: Nautilus from Graco expiration

So basically, my daughter is 7 and a half months old, getting really close to the end of her infant car seat... if i was to buy this car seat, I would still have to buy another one when she is... 6 and a half? :(

This is not an acceptable seat for a child that young. It is forward facing only and unless she's 30#+ at 1, shouldn't be used till 2+ yo. The longer a child rear faces, the safer they are and they HAVE to rf till at least 1 and 20#, or 22# and 34" in some seats. What you need to look for is a convertible seat that both rf and ff.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member

**Argh to Graco's marketing of this seat! ** No..if you get this seat at a more appropriate age, like 2.5-3 years old, after you are done rearfacing, the seat will last until an adult seat belt.

You need a convertible rearfacing seat until she is 35 lbs, or a bare minimum of 2 years old.

Last edited:

Qarin

And, this thread is from a full year ago, when the Nautilus had just been released. The expiration information is somewhat outdated, since the backless portion now (and retroactively) has a 9yr expiration.

Maedze

Welcome to C-S.org. :)

The Graco Nautilus is NOT an appropriate choice for your child. This seat could be DEADLY for her. Children need to remain rearfacing for the first few years of their life at minimum. An accident when they are forward facing puts extreme strain on their necks and spines. You want to choose a convertible with a high rearfacing weight limit (35 pounds) and a tall shell. Most kids will fit rearfacing in convertibles till between 2 and 3 years of age.

And as quarin pointed out, this thread is extremely old, and the information is not accurate. Graco later gave the backless portion of its booster a 9 year expiration. Hopefully a moderator will split this question off from the original thread to avoid confusion :)

Kat_Momof3

this question really wants it's own thread, people who can move posts to new threads!!

but to answer the question... first, this seat is not for you... it does not rearface.

you want a convertible carseat that can rearface until baby is NO LESS than 1yr/22lbs/AND 34" tall (or whatever the minimum requirment is for your seat)... but preferably until the max limit of 30-35lbs is reached.

THEN (and only then) the Nautilus is a good option.

they changed the lifespan since this original thread was started... it is good for 6yrs as a harnessed seat and highback booster (from date of manufacture) and then the bottom ALONE (no back) is good for an additional 3yrs, making it last for a total of 9yrs from date of manufacture.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Hopefully a moderator will split this question off from the original thread to avoid confusion :)

this question really wants it's own thread, people who can move posts to new threads!!

Please feel free to report a post like this that deserves its own thread. :thumbsup:

*back on topic*

OP, the others have given you good information about keeping your daughter rear-facing. I also want to point out that in addition to your daughter being safer rear-facing, at 7.5 months your daughter won't be comfortable in this seat. And if she's uncomfortable and unhappy, you're not going to be happy being in the car with her.

Evolily

Here are some great seats to look at that rear face until 35 lbs :thumbsup:

Rear Face to 35 lbs, Forward Face to 40 lbs- these seats usually have to be followed up by a graco nautilus like seat
Cosco Scenera- $40-$55 (no energy absorbing foam, but a great budget seat
Safety 1st Avenue and Uptown- $65-$85 (has energy absorbing foam and lasts longer than the Scenera)

Rear Face to 35 lbs, Forward Face to between 50 and 80 lbs- these seats take many kids to booster age, but definitely not all
Evenflo Triumph Advance ($110-$150, depending on features)
Safety 1st All In One & Safety 1st Alpha Omega ($140-$180, make sure it's the 50 lb version- both make bad booster)
First Years True Fit (usually $180ish, on sale right now for as low as $95)
Sunshine Kids Radian 65/80/XT ($200- $280 depending on model
Britax Marathon, Decathalon, and Boulevard ($210-$310 depending on which seat you like best, sometimes you can find them on sale)
Recaro Como and Signo ($150-$250 depending on type)

I grouped some similiar seats together- different seats have different features (headwings, armrests, etc). Good luck choose a safe seat for your daughter! I'm sure I missed some, but I think I thought of *most* of them.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC