FYI: Chevy Astro LATCH wt. limits

Just FYI, I spoke with Chevrolet this morning to find out about the LATCH weight limits on my '03 Astro, since I'd read here that many vehicles' LATCH systems were only designed for children up to 48 lbs. or so.

The answer I received was, the Astro vans' LATCH system was designed to secure up to 300 lb. adults who may need a restraint system. The man assured me that, if a carseat was certified to use the LATCH system up to a given weight, the vehicle's LATCH system would absolutely be safe as well. I was pleased that he did caution me to double-check the seat manufacturers' recommendations and make sure both were compatible. No sense continuing to use LATCH on a seat that is only recommended up to 40, 65, whatever lbs, after that weight has been reached.

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Same here, I posted a similar concern on the carseat forum in the thread there about the Safeguard Go and LATCH anchor limits. :confused: I've heard of vehicles with seatbelts rated for up to 300 lb. adults but LATCH anchors are intended to be used for child restraints only, not adults. It just seems odd to me. :confused:

(Also posted in Carseat Safety forum)

Okay, so I called Chev. cust. svc. back today, and asked them to double check about the LATCH weight limits. The lady I talked to said the *seatbelts* are rated to 300 lbs., and that info. is easily accessed, so maybe it is what the gentleman was telling me. She is going to research the LATCH information for me and call back tomorrow-- she said it was not info that she could readily locate in her system... so, I'll post an update when I get one!

Thanks for bringing that to my attention-- I thought I'd be good to go harnessing to whatever weight the carseat mfrs. allow...

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Glad you called again. That 300 lb. number just so sounded so much like the seatbelt rating to me. :) Hope you hear back from the customer service rep as promised tomorrow about the actual LATCH limits. :D

After not receiving an answer to my phone call early last week, I called a third time and explained my request clearly again. I also made sure they knew that I had called twice previously and not received a satisfactory answer yet.

This cust. svc. agent searched for several minutes, could not find any information with a definitive answer, and asked me to refer to the NHTSA website for specific information pertaining to LATCH and my vehicle make/model. ::)

After over an hour searching different keywords at NHTSA, I gave up. :( I got a phone call later asking me to do a survey on the level of satisfaction I had with my Chevrolet Cust. Svc. transaction. I made sure they knew I was disappointed with the lack of knowledge and inability to answer my question.

If anyone knows specifically where I can look up this information on the internet, I would greatly appreciate it. It's a non-issue with the Radian I just purchased, as the manufacturer states to discontinue LATCH at 48 lbs. anyway. But I would really like to know for future reference, as carseats are changing and being improved upon all the time, and I will most likely be purchasing at least one more high-weight harness seat before my carseat days are done. Not to mention BPBs...

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Try emailing someone at www.saferidenews.com (they write the official "LATCH" manual, and usually know more about this stuff than the customer service folks at car places...they might even have the answer on the page if you look around there)
I think the reason they couldn't tell you is because they do static tests and measure the force in Newtons. That means they just slowly pull out the anchor and measure how long it holds, and it only has to hold up to xthousand number of newtons. They do NOT have a test bench with their anchors and they aren't crash testing various restraints with higher and lower weights to find out if they'll snap or pull out when child+seat equals x weight. So you'd have to get a person high up in engineering to know what they are talking about and who can explain how many newtons they test to and how that translates to weight limits (and it's hard to work your way up that high on a phone call :( )

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC