Britax Roundabout in a Ford Mustang.

Amartin100503

My sister has a Ford Mustang. I was wondering if it is safe/wise to put my 20 month old's Britax Roundabout in the back seat if she ever has to take him anywhere while babysitting (emergency situations, etc.). It never crossed my mind that it could be an issue.

I'm new here. Just looking for some answers. I didn't find much with Google.

TIA

ADS

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
As long as it can be installed properly, yes it's safe. Mustangs do have a reputation for being notoriously difficult for installing carseats, though.

At 20 months, your baby is safest if still rear-facing, and in Mustangs it can be difficult to get a rear-facing carseat to fit in the backseats, but if she puts the carseat behind the passenger seat, she should be able to get it to fit by pushing the passenger seat all the way forward and completely upright.

For a forward-facing install, she'd need to know how to locate the top-tether anchors in her vehicle - she can find that info in her vehicle manual. Assuming this is a newer vehicle, of course - older models may not have top-tether anchors.

I would make sure she knows how to install a carseat correctly, and then make sure she knows where to find the carseat manual on the Roundabout in case she ever needs to install it by herself. :thumbsup:

munchkin

My sister has a Ford Mustang. I was wondering if it is safe/wise to put my 20 month old's Britax Roundabout in the back seat if she ever has to take him anywhere while babysitting (emergency situations, etc.). It never crossed my mind that it could be an issue.

I'm new here. Just looking for some answers. I didn't find much with Google.

TIA

What year Mustang is it? Is your son FF or RF?

I have an '09 Mustang and can get a Marathon FF with a little work. I haven't tried RF, but could tomorrow. Of course, like Defrost said, with RF there will be no room for a front passenger.

Wineaux

Let me chime in with a little help here. As an owner of both a Roundabout (RA), and a small two door vehicle (PT Cruiser Convertible), I can tell you that not only can I install the RA rear facing (RF) on the passenger side, but I can still fully use my passenger side seat while doing so. My DW is 6 foot tall, and she can quite comfortable sit in my passenger side seat with the RA installed RF behind her. My DS is also 20 months old, and fits quite nicely RF in his RA, and I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get him to 24 months old without any difficulties. We'll see beyond that as he's growing like a weed at the moment! LOL

I could NOT have installed a Marathon, Boulevard, Radian, or any other tall shelled car seat RF and still have been able to have functional use of my front passenger seat. There have been, and always will be practical uses for a shorter shelled car seat, and this is one of them.
:twocents:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC