Did anyone see this?

ADS

Jennifer mom to my 7

Crap. I refuse to watch the video. rf or ff? I am assuming rf. Oprah did this show I think at least 5 years ago and I think longer than that. I can only think that either A: the people coming to her defense think she suffered enough or B: they just don't get it either. I watch my neighbor let her small 6 year old get into the front seat all the time. And recently I have noticed she doesn't even have her get belted before driving off (and we are a 6/60 state that is supposed to read Under 7). Meaning the child has no booster.
I won't watch Kyles video or Belles video either. I just don't get why parents think the warnings don't pertain to them. Sad all the way around........

lorinick

Very sad, I don't understand how your child or children can be your live and you can't bo bothered to read how to properly use a car seat. Do they just think it can't happen to them, or are they just that lazy.

zeo2ski

Wasn't it also loosely installed and she was seen driving uh... what was the word they used...eratically?...and said she often put it in the front seat?

This is the one who was hit at 3 mos and died 10 months later, right? Sorry I can't watch the video.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
The story is tragic, btu tha part that kills me is teh sister tryig to stand up for her, saying it is right that the mom is being charged because she herself ( the sister) ALSO DOES THAT ALL THE TIME!! (referring to putting the bucket in front.)
I mean, i understand, she was trying to help her sis out by "normalizing" the behavior, but it had the opoosite effect on me, personally. All I could think was "yes, you should be on trial, you #@$^&*^& moron.".
I mean..if it were a simple "not installed correctly" I would not be that upset.....if the seat was in the back, installed too loosely, no locking clip, incorrect angle, etc, I woudl say "okay, carseats are hard to install, possibly they tried their best. "
But putting an infant bucket in the front in front of an airbag..there is just NO reason for anyone not to know that is not safe. It says on every infant carseat, in the manual, on every car manual, on the visors, etc, to never, ever put the infant seat in fron of an airbag. I just think it crosses the line from normal ignorance and carelessness to gross negligence, the kind manslaughter laws were written for.

And yes, I agree..she has been punished. She has to live the rest of her life knowing she killed her baby...no, I don't think there is anything the state can do to top that. The thought of watching my kid waste away for 10 months and then dying because of something *I* did, something I knew better than to do, but did anyway, to save myself what? a minute of wrapping a belt around the seat in the back? it would be torture..more than torture...unfathomable.
Should she be prosecuted? *sigh* I don't know. Is criminal justice supposed to be about punishment, or rehabilitation,or both? Because I know on the rehabilitation front, she's there. I think she will never ever misuse a carseat for the remainder of her life. Punishment? Ya, she's been punished, that's certain. But does the state have a responsibility to enforce it's own punishment, a societal punishment,on top of her own personal torture?? I can see both sides, I really can. I'm glad it is not my decision to make.

Heamae

Ok I watch the show with it. I didnt get the "misplaced" seat. I thought she like lost the seat and wasnt using one at all. She said she put the baby in the front seat bc she was a premie and often had breathing problems and wanted to be able to watch her. I still think she knew better. How could she not!!!

Jennifer mom to my 7

Because, hey, the airbag really can't be that dangerous, it protects us, doesn't it? Hey, I won't be in an accident. Hey, I am a good driver.

It comes back down to they don't "get it" like everything else. I have recently watched my neighbor drive off not only with her little almost 7 year old in the front seat, no booster, but not even buckled up! Hey, she is only driving around the corner. I have watched another neighbor let the then 4 year old sit on his lap to pull down 5 houses and into the driveway, hey was only going 50 yards. It is unfathomable to some people that these tragedies even happen, let alone are so easily preventable, kwim?

christineka

I think many people just don't think it could happen to them. I see some neighbors leaving church nearly every week with one of the four kids "driving" the car on dad's lap. The other three are just piled up in the back. Or, if no one gets to "drive" that week, 4 kids are piled up in the back. The kids are aged 4-11. They've done this for a few years. Oh, a couple years ago the 7 year old fell out of the passenger's side door onto the street in front of the driveway and broke his arm. Parents did not learn from that experience- they still let the kids sit by doors, unbuckled, etc.

The worst part is that my dh sees this family going home from church like that and thinks it's "cool".

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC