Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

flying with an infant seat, do you need the base? flying today!

title says it all I have a firend wondering, she is flying with her infant this afternoon and wants to know if she can leave the base at home
    Canadian mommy to two wonderful kids
    DD aug 04 FF in Frontier XT in Cowmooflage
    DS dec 06 FF in a Frontier XT in Cowmooflage RFed for 3yrs 9months.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician

Re: flying with an infant seat, do you need the base? flying today!

Depends on which seat she has. She should look in the manual(or check online) for how to install the seat without the base using just a seat belt.

Susan
    Mommy to my angel, Ethan Daniel (8/5/07-8/6/07)
    Mommy to Nicholas (12-29-08) RF'ed to 2.75 yrs in Graco MyRide(crashed) and a True Fit Primier. FF in the TFP and a Graco Nautilus Elite. Nicholas is 2.75 yrs old, 32 lbs and 36" tall.
    Child Passenger Safety Tech

Whenever I flew with my infant seat, I just left the base at home. I made sure I was familiar with installing the seat baseless prior to leaving so I wouldn't be confused on the plane or at the destination.

Some seats require a base to be used at all times so she should look in her manual to ensure her seat can be used baseless.
    Katy

I did tell her to check her manual. so does that mean yes she can install it on the airplaine without the base?
    Canadian mommy to two wonderful kids
    DD aug 04 FF in Frontier XT in Cowmooflage
    DS dec 06 FF in a Frontier XT in Cowmooflage RFed for 3yrs 9months.

CPS Technician

If the seat is able to be used without a base in a car, then yes she can use it without a base on the plane. But without knowing what seat she has, I can't give you a simple yes or no.

Susan
    Mommy to my angel, Ethan Daniel (8/5/07-8/6/07)
    Mommy to Nicholas (12-29-08) RF'ed to 2.75 yrs in Graco MyRide(crashed) and a True Fit Primier. FF in the TFP and a Graco Nautilus Elite. Nicholas is 2.75 yrs old, 32 lbs and 36" tall.
    Child Passenger Safety Tech

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by horseymom View Post
    I did tell her to check her manual. so does that mean yes she can install it on the airplaine without the base?
    Only if her manual says so. Do you know what seat she has?
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good