Risk/Tolerance of After Market Car Seat Accessories

BananaBoat

I learned very quickly from this board that after-market items are highly discouraged for car seats. I recognize the legal implications for crash-testing etc, but still fantasize about using my Bundle Me (that we used prior to learning that it wasn't ok) again! My questions are these:

1) Is there ANY way to sew some velcro onto the bottom of the cover of my infant seat & do the same to a modified Bundle Me to create a custom Boot? I would remove the parts that interfere with the straps & buckle - how would this be different in function from a blanket in terms of crash-test issues?

2) I hate the KF canopy - can I remove it & put my Graco canopy on, assuming it fits?

3) Generally speaking, I understand the rational of car seat companies to prohibit the use of after-market items. Why don't they make their own then? I'd love to be able to purchase "approved" infant inserts, seat levelers (pool noodles, seat covers etc), boots & covers. In fact, why don't they just make naked seats & a whole slew of separate accessories? You could customize whatever seat you like, knowing it was safe & companies could charge a la cart - making them ever more $$$! Any thoughts from the Techs?

ADS

Maedze

1.) Basically, it sounds like you're making a specialized blanket for the baby, that in no way interferes with the seat itself or the harness? I wouldn't exactly advise parents to go willy nilly sewing stuff to the cover, but what you are describing does not sound unsafe and I wouldn't have a problem with it.

2.) No. The canopies are crash tested WITH the seats. The Canopy is designed to fit that particular seat. Putting another canopy on an infant seat that it wasn't tested with could prove to be very dangerous in an accident.

3.) You do see that here and there. For a while, for example, Graco was making a line of infant toys that were crash tested with its infant seats and approved to be left on the handle. They don't make them anymore though, probably because of the confusion it generated about what is and isn't allowed. As far as your idea goes, I won't say I haven't thought of it ;) Unfortunately, car seat companies have liability in mind and they must develop for the lowest common denominator. It's safest for the seat to be assembled prior to use to lower the rate of misuse errors.

Pixels

Another thing you can do with the BundleMe is to cut out the back of it so that it doesn't interfere and there is no bulk behind baby's back. The portion of the back that you do leave will help to keep the cover portion on.

Seat levelers (pool noodles and similar) are OK to use as long as they are used properly.

The government regulation says that the cover has to come with the seat. It has to meet certain standards for fire resistance, for example. It also keeps kid from reaching the foam on the seat and picking it off. If they sold seats without the cover, some people would use it that way (if it comes that way, it must be safe, right? Or financial reasons).

I think Graco does allow any of their products to be used with their seats. Don't quote me on it. Whichever company it is, it says so right in the carseat manual.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC