Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

momof2

Question integrated child seat safety?

Hi, I'm new here and wondering if optional integrated child safety seats (for older kids, ie, non-infants) are actually safe. Are there studies done on them?

Specifically, I know the Volvo XC90 has an optional 2nd row integrated booster, that can slide forward so front seat passengers can reach the child easier. Are they as safe as a latched in conventional booster/car seat? What other new vehicles offer this feature, and are they indeed safe? Thank you

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

They are safe-

Integrated boosters are just as safe as regular ones. Assuming they allow the seatbelt to fit properly, I don't know of any disadvantages.

Integrated seats with a harness are a little different. While they are convenient and safe if used correctly, there are some disadvantages to consider. Please see questions #14 and #15 of the FAQ:

http://www.car-safety.org/faq.html#Q14

I do not yet know what 2003 vehicles offer integrated boosters. Volvo has offered them as an option in vehicles for some time. The government does produce a brochure that lists child passenger safety features, but it is not yet available. Unfortunately, by the time they get the information and publish it, the model year is half over:-(

momof2

Smile thank you

Thank you, Darren, for the information and the link, they are very helpful. This is a wonderful site and forum, thanks again!